Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Insurance

Shipping Insurance

Old Jun 18th 2007, 1:33 pm
Oz Passport Holder ;)

Julez82 is on a distinguished road
Default Shipping Insurance

Not sure if this has been posted before, but can anyone recommend a place to buy reasonably priced shipping insurance?

I'm shipping my items with Seven Seas (baggage only - maximum of 5 tea chests) and have some valuable items being sent!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

northseaned is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping Insurance

Hi, I'm shipping with Whites and they charge 2.5% of the value of the container if thats any help.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:12 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northseaned
Hi, I'm shipping with Whites and they charge 2.5% of the value of the container if thats any help.
If you mean "White & Co." then you do *not* have insurance! Only limited/extended liability cover - that is *not* insurance.

White & Co are not authorised to sell insurance.

Gina
Old Jun 18th 2007, 4:15 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GinaUK
If you mean "White & Co." then you do *not* have insurance! Only limited/extended liability cover - that is *not* insurance.

White & Co are not authorised to sell insurance.

Gina
Gina could you say what the difference is as I would hate to be caught out by this. Do you also know of any good insurance companys? I have doree boner coming round on 2nd(i think) of July and would like to shop around a bit for insurance.
Thanks
Old Jun 18th 2007, 4:42 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
Gina could you say what the difference is as I would hate to be caught out by this. Do you also know of any good insurance companys? I have doree boner coming round on 2nd(i think) of July and would like to shop around a bit for insurance.
Thanks
Doree Bonner provide insurance.

Basically, if you've paid a 5% insurance tax premium (ITP), then you will have bought insurance. If you haven't paid ITP, then you will have bought limited/extended liability cover.

For starters this only pays out very small amounts, something like £40 per damaged box or a few hundred quid for larger items. Secondly, it only pays out if you can prove that the damage occurred while the goods were in the hands of the removal company AND they were negligent.

So, if the container lorry crashes after it leaves your house, damaging lots of stuff, but it wasn't the lorry driver who caused the accident - you would get nothing (because the removal company wasn't negligent).

If you get your stuff delivered in Oz and discover lots of damaged items - you would get nothing because you can't prove that the damage occurred while the goods were in the hands of the removal company (the damage may have occurred while the container was on the ship).

Doree Bonner charge 3% for their insurance. You can get cheaper insurance from Letton Percival (do a search). LP only charge 1.53%, but their insurance does not offer mould & mildew, sets & pairs, mechanical derangement.

Mould & mildew is probably self-explanatory.

Sets & pairs means if you have a three-piece suite and one of the chairs gets damaged, you get a whole new three-piece suite.

Mechanical derangement means if your TV or computer or other electrical item) come out of the box and there is not a scratch on them, but when you plug them in they are as dead as the proverbial dodo, you get a new TV etc. The electrical item mustn't be older than (usually) six years (i.e. if it's older or you no longer have the invoice, you're screwed on this one).

I've had 8 shippers round to interview and we've settled on Crown. We'll be taking their insurance with mould & mildew and sets & pairs added on. That's just because I am worried about the mould & mildew and Letton Percival don't offer that. Some people's containers have arrived perfectly fine in Oz and others have been mouldy (as the container ship goes through the tropics, the containers get very hot during the day and then cold at night. That means condensation can develop inside the container). You just never know.

Gina
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:20 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Doree Bonner provide insurance.

Basically, if you've paid a 5% insurance tax premium (ITP), then you will have bought insurance. If you haven't paid ITP, then you will have bought limited/extended liability cover.

For starters this only pays out very small amounts, something like £40 per damaged box or a few hundred quid for larger items. Secondly, it only pays out if you can prove that the damage occurred while the goods were in the hands of the removal company AND they were negligent.

So, if the container lorry crashes after it leaves your house, damaging lots of stuff, but it wasn't the lorry driver who caused the accident - you would get nothing (because the removal company wasn't negligent).

If you get your stuff delivered in Oz and discover lots of damaged items - you would get nothing because you can't prove that the damage occurred while the goods were in the hands of the removal company (the damage may have occurred while the container was on the ship).

Doree Bonner charge 3% for their insurance. You can get cheaper insurance from Letton Percival (do a search). LP only charge 1.53%, but their insurance does not offer mould & mildew, sets & pairs, mechanical derangement.

Mould & mildew is probably self-explanatory.

Sets & pairs means if you have a three-piece suite and one of the chairs gets damaged, you get a whole new three-piece suite.

Mechanical derangement means if your TV or computer or other electrical item) come out of the box and there is not a scratch on them, but when you plug them in they are as dead as the proverbial dodo, you get a new TV etc. The electrical item mustn't be older than (usually) six years (i.e. if it's older or you no longer have the invoice, you're screwed on this one).

I've had 8 shippers round to interview and we've settled on Crown. We'll be taking their insurance with mould & mildew and sets & pairs added on. That's just because I am worried about the mould & mildew and Letton Percival don't offer that. Some people's containers have arrived perfectly fine in Oz and others have been mouldy (as the container ship goes through the tropics, the containers get very hot during the day and then cold at night. That means condensation can develop inside the container). You just never know.

Gina
Thats great thank-you very much.
I am going to give crown a call aswell and get them round for a quote.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

KandA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Julez82
Not sure if this has been posted before, but can anyone recommend a place to buy reasonably priced shipping insurance?

I'm shipping my items with Seven Seas (baggage only - maximum of 5 tea chests) and have some valuable items being sent!
Hi, I have had quotes for my furniture etc from Letton-Percival, they charge around 1.5% of the value of the shipment which is better than all the removal companies. Give them a try on 0151 236 4568.

Ken