Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping insurance

shipping insurance

Old May 13th 2007, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough
Default shipping insurance

Hello,

Hope someone can help as my mind is in a muddle. We are having the packers out next week. they have quoted us £600 for 400 cubic feet. Does this sound reasonable? there is also insurance included in that price. so my question is this do I have to organise my own insurance as well or is the shippers good enough?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but we only exchanged contracts on the house in Friday so have had to book shippers (Arrowpak International) at very short notice

Thanks for any replies and watch out for more stupid questions very soon

Karen
Old May 13th 2007, 11:54 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping insurance

Hi Karen,

just make sure that it really *is* insurance and not "limited/extended liability cover". The easy way to check is to ask whether your overall payment includes "insurance tax premium"(ITP). If your payment doesn't include insurance tax premium, then you don't have insurance. Instead you have "limited/extended liability cover".

The limited/extended liability cover will only pay out if you can prove that the damage to your goods occured while they where in the possession of the removal company AND that the removal company was negligent.

1. If you can't prove it - you're not covered.
2. If the damage happens on the ship - you're not covered.
3. If the damage happens while the removal lorry is involved in an accident, but it wasn't the lorry driver's fault - you're not covered.
4. If the whole container ship goes down - you're not covered for the loss of your goods nor are you covered for your share of the total loss.

Even if you can actually prove that the damage occurred while your goods were in possession of your removal comapnay AND that they were negligent, the amount of cover is very small.

The upshot is that this kind of "cover" is pretty much worthless.

Hence, ask the question about ITP and if you haven't got insurance, get your own.

Gina
Old May 13th 2007, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: shipping insurance

thank you so much for that reply Gina. you have explained it very well and that was exactly the reply i wanted

Karen