Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Insurance

Shipping Insurance

Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping Insurance

Is this a potential rip-off?

I want insurance for my boxes but dont want to pay through the nose.

Can anyone suggest a value-for-money insurance package that covers this stuff?

Cheers
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

tallbloke67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping Insurance

Hi Stephen

What was the quote you received and from who? I have been quoted 3% of the total of £10,000 worth and Letton Pervial charge 1.53%.

Shop around
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tallbloke67
Hi Stephen

What was the quote you received and from who? I have been quoted 3% of the total of £10,000 worth and Letton Pervial charge 1.53%.

Shop around
I was quoted 3.75%....RIPOFF......thats £375 smackers for a 10k ship.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

tallbloke67 is an unknown quantity at this point

I emailled Letton Percival and they sent the forms pronto. Our shippers said they would try and match this but haven't go that far yet. Who are you shipping with and do they offer insurance?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the rough

Cracking question Stephen! We've just been looking into this ourselves.....we had a quote from Robinsons Removals and their insurance is 3%. We have not worked out our value of contents yet but they charge £1400 per cubic metre (rip off) based on insurers lumpsum valuation.
We've been quoted £3400 for a 20ft refer - how does that fair with your quote?
Just been to an insurance broker who is doing the leg work for me.
We'll keep you updated.
Gaz
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

Can you also get special insurance on valuable items? We have a painting that was a gift from an artist uncle in Ital - am sure its work a bit but haven't found out and limited ed prints that were really expensive - we're not taking a hug amount of things but I am concerened about these items! Thanks!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:12 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Most insurance doesn't actually cover you for much. Mould is out, electric/mechical disarrangement (shaking damage ) is out.. basically its to cover you for the container falling into the sea or off the lorry. We saw it as all or nothing with the exclusion and excesses.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Datamile - any thoughts on AirFrieght? Is it safer? or Easier to insure here if we were to send the 2 prints/painting by air?