Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Insurance

Shipping Insurance

Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough
Cool Shipping Insurance

This has probably been asked loads of times, but I am at work and haven't got time to go through all the threads so...

Is it worth getting the insurance when shipping the contents of your house?
Did you end up with much damaged or broken?
Did the ship sink - or was your container lost overboard ?

We think we will probably insure everything, but are still weighing up the pros and cons.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:04 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Insurance

Originally Posted by markcrook
This has probably been asked loads of times, but I am at work and haven't got time to go through all the threads so...

We think we will probably insure everything, but are still weighing up the pros and cons.
1.53% doesn't seem much for a life's possessions...
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rodders39
1.53% doesn't seem much for a life's possessions...
No it doesn't, but has anybody had to make a claim and what for?
Was it damaged in loading or unloading - or during transit?
Did anything end up water damaged?
Did anything go missing comletley?

Just trying to work out a balance of probabilities, most of our stuff was fairly cheap to begin with and some of it will need replacing in 1-2 years and I don't think we have anything of particular sentimental value - except for photo's and the insurance can't replace those.

As I said we probably will insure - but I am curious if anybody has suffered any damage or loss etc?
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:42 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

No it doesn't, but has anybody had to make a claim and what for?
Was it damaged in loading or unloading - or during transit?
Did anything end up water damaged?
Did anything go missing comletley?

Just trying to work out a balance of probabilities, most of our stuff was fairly cheap to begin with and some of it will need replacing in 1-2 years and I don't think we have anything of particular sentimental value - except for photo's and the insurance can't replace those.

As I said we probably will insure - but I am curious if anybody has suffered any damage or loss etc?

good question

i would like to know this also

has anyone ever shipped without insuring

jan xx
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

We used Dorree Bonner and although we had a few items damaged I can still highly recommend them.

We insured our items using the insurer recommended by DB. When they (Grace International in Adelaide) delivered our stuff a few items were damaged.
We had 28 days from delivery to make a claim and after getting a couple of quotes for repair the insurance company have paid out. The best part was that there was no excess on the policy.

I would recommend that you insure your stuff.

Graham
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Shipping Insurance

We will be shipping shortly and not taking insurance - mind you, we are not shipping our wordly goods, just 2-3 tea chests of personal items which are irreplacable anyway, winter gear, bedding/duvets etc and some of his more technical tools.

Personally I usually insure against everything - however cant put a price on items we are shipping, cant replace the personal stuff and the rest are just items I want to send over. The really really sentimental stuff is going in my hand luggage.

Good luck with your decision

Paula