Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Insurance

Shipping Insurance

Old Apr 8th 2006, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of
Question Shipping Insurance

we have booked our shipping with excess international who charge 3percent for insurance - had a quote of letton percivil at 1.53 percent
but it says:
the only addittion to these rates is a government levid insurance premium tax which is 5 percent.
whats this for ?? excess international dont mention it on their quote ???
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:37 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Insurance

Originally Posted by coffeebean
we have booked our shipping with excess international who charge 3percent for insurance - had a quote of letton percivil at 1.53 percent
but it says:
the only addittion to these rates is a government levid insurance premium tax which is 5 percent.
I think I'm right here... you pay the 1.53% of the replacement cost of your belongings, then that final figure is subject to the insurance Levey of 5%. It's been standard on insurance policies for a couple of years now and the money goes to the government.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
I think I'm right here... you pay the 1.53% of the replacement cost of your belongings, then that final figure is subject to the insurance Levey of 5%. It's been standard on insurance policies for a couple of years now and the money goes to the government.
I agree, I think it's totally standard, check out any UK insurance documentas it will be detailed there is the breakdown. We took out Letton Percival rather than Crown who wanted 3% as we worked out with the excess LP charge we may not have been any better off if we had needed to claim but if we didn't then we saved a few hundred pounds. In the end we only had the galss from one picture broken so didn't bother claiming.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

innocent bystander is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coffeebean
but it says:
2 Weeks ago our things were packed and shipped to Brissy and we used Letton Percival and so far I would recommend them on the polite and effecient manner not to mention the fees are alot less than some others. The 3 percent charge is a tax levied on the total value of the insurance fee and not the value of the insured items.

Best of luck