Shipping insurance

Shipping insurance

Old Jan 6th 2005, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

RichnKim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping insurance

Hi All

Getting closer to going, finally.
Had a few Shipping quotes in. Now looking at the insurance options. We will probably have enough stuff to half fill a 20ft container. The contents value will probably be more sentimental then money valueable. So just wondered what everyone else has done about insurance. Did you bother getting any, Do you have to get it, use shipping companies insurance or get seperate.

I'm sure this questions been asked, But any handy hints would be appreicated.

Rgds

RichNkim
Old Jan 6th 2005, 1:34 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping insurance

No you do not have to insure anything.

No you do not have to take the shipping companies insurance and almost certainly it would be cheaper elsewhere. Check out this thread:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230418

We considered just taking the total loss insurance but eventually decided we had too many valuable items to risk losing. We did not cover day to day items like crockery or clothing.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RichnKim
Hi All

Getting closer to going, finally.
Had a few Shipping quotes in. Now looking at the insurance options. We will probably have enough stuff to half fill a 20ft container. The contents value will probably be more sentimental then money valueable. So just wondered what everyone else has done about insurance. Did you bother getting any, Do you have to get it, use shipping companies insurance or get seperate.

I'm sure this questions been asked, But any handy hints would be appreicated.

Rgds

RichNkim
hi richnkim.

This week we've had 4 shipping companies in and theres another in the morning :scared: it getting a bit boring now but you should shop around.

dont think you have to get insurance (but don't quote me on that) the prices of insurance we have been quoted range from 1.5% to 3% of the value of the goods being shipped, i think the value you put on the goods is up to you !!! hope it might help

lesley (jjl family)
Old Jan 6th 2005, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

RichnKim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. Bix I will take a look at that thread in a mo.

Rgds

Rich