Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping & insurance

shipping & insurance

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

dolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the rough
Default shipping & insurance

Hi I have had a search & am undecided whether to take out Crown Insurance or percival - does anyone have any views?
also any views on group usage vs sloe use/ reefer container?
Look forward to your views Dolly
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 2:29 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: shipping & insurance

Hi Dolly,

I went with Crown mainly on the basis of reputation. Jill did all the donkey work and beat them down eventually. I can't tell you what the % was but it was around the 3% mark with extras included.

Good luck with your choice.

Warren
Perth in 5 days !!

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

dolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Hi Dolly,

I went with Crown mainly on the basis of reputation. Jill did all the donkey work and beat them down eventually. I can't tell you what the % was but it was around the 3% mark with extras included.

Good luck with your choice.

Warren
Perth in 5 days !!
Hi thanks for your reply - crown seems to be the FAV at the moment. Dolly
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:14 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dolly1
Hi thanks for your reply - crown seems to be the FAV at the moment. Dolly
Hi Dolly

The advantage of insuring through the shippers is that there should be less room for the insurer arguing over at which stage in the move the damage was caused.

Insurance definitely seems to be an area of high profit for the movers though, so its definitely worth haggling with them. If they want 3%, say that other shippers will do it for 2.5% and see how they respond. Most won't want to lose your business and will agree to the reduction.

Good luck

GLR
Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Hi I have had a search & am undecided whether to take out Crown Insurance or percival - does anyone have any views?
Dolly
Make sure you get quotes from at least 3 shipping companies. Compare the quotes ask questions on this forum and then talk to them all to get the best deal.

Whether you use sole container or shared consignment generally depends on the cubic volume of your pocessions. Part or shared container is cheaper but bear in mind that they usually take longer to get to destination because you have the other user of the container to consider.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

We finally went with John Mason and took out their insurance - thinking that if there is any damaged goods it will be easier to make a claim than through a third party insurer.

To keep cost down, only insure those things that are likely to get damaged or you care about as you pay a % of the insurable value. But don't undervalue items or they only pay a proportion of replacement cost.

We went sole use purely because it was quicker and we wanted our stuff asap. Thought groupage would have been much cheaper but only £500 less.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sjn2003
We finally went with John Mason and took out their insurance - thinking that if there is any damaged goods it will be easier to make a claim than through a third party insurer.

To keep cost down, only insure those things that are likely to get damaged or you care about as you pay a % of the insurable value. But don't undervalue items or they only pay a proportion of replacement cost.

We went sole use purely because it was quicker and we wanted our stuff asap. Thought groupage would have been much cheaper but only £500 less.
We're going to use John Mason. Let us know how the move went.

Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Stewie
We're going to use John Mason. Let us know how the move went.

Thanks

It went really well. Had 2 lads to pack a 2 bedroom flat on first day but they were quickly joined by 3 others who had their job cancelled. They finished off the next morning, container arrived on time. Everything was loaded and away they went.

Very professional and polite. No complaint thus far.

Good luck with yours
Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

We are using John Masons too - they arrive on 2/11 - have said that it will take 3 days to pack & the container arrives on 4/11 - house completes on 5/11 (exchanged contracts 2 weeks ago). We are going to use Percival Ins - although we have got to go around and make the list & value the stuff. Am not going to insure the bits & bobs - just the electrical stuff & furniture - does that sound about right? Although I noticed that most insurers don't insure for electronic derangement!! So if the TV does not work & it has no sign of external damage it will not be covered.

I am currently sporting a lovely new perfume - eau de jeyes fluid - nice eh?

Still got the garden furniture & the bike & all the shoes to do yet!!!

I know that this question has been asked before - but has anyone taken any seagrass linen baskets & boxes over or had any problem with them going thru AQIS?

Cheers

pockygoes
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Mizunk is an unknown quantity at this point

HI I had a quote from Crown, however I have heard there service is not as good as it used to be. We invited three companies, Crown, Anglo and Allfreight. They were all very professional, but the one company that stood out was Allfreight International Removals. Daniel there consultant was brilliant really gave us the right advise. We were packed up last week our stuff arrives in Sydney at beg. of december.

There number is 0800454796
Old Oct 28th 2004, 2:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mizunk
HI I had a quote from Crown, however I have heard there service is not as good as it used to be. We invited three companies, Crown, Anglo and Allfreight. They were all very professional, but the one company that stood out was Allfreight International Removals. Daniel there consultant was brilliant really gave us the right advise. We were packed up last week our stuff arrives in Sydney at beg. of december.

There number is 0800454796
Hey Mizunk, you're new round here aren't you? Are you emigrating to Sydney then? Tell us a bit about yourself, all we know so far os about your shipping firm. I'm surprised you are so quick to recommend them when your stuff hasn't arrived here yet - as I, and many others, know from experience, the easy bit is entrusting your life to a shipping firm. The stressful part starts from then ........