Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping a guitar from UK to Australia

Shipping a guitar from UK to Australia

Old Dec 11th 2002, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough
Default Shipping a guitar from UK to Australia

Hi my friend is intending shipping a guitar to me as a present. Can anyone recommend a good company to use?? And approximate cost to send it??

Thanks

Sharon
Old Dec 11th 2002, 10:32 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping a guitar from UK to Australia

Originally posted by wizzywozza
Hi my friend is intending shipping a guitar to me as a present. Can anyone recommend a good company to use?? And approximate cost to send it??

Thanks

Sharon
Hi,
Before you get shipping rates, check out the "Air Mail" rates too with the courier companies. Sometimes when something is bulky, a sole item.. it is no cheaper to ship it than to fly it. I had a huge box sent to me from Britain a few years ago (basically it was engine parts etc for a racing Go kart).. anyway, I bought it off a company in Britain, and found that it was actually cheaper to fly it than to ship it believe it or not.

I also sent my mum back in the uk, a huge oriental box. At the time I was moving from Singapore to Australia, so I used the same shipping company I was using to move my stuff with, to send and deliver this one item to my mum... it cost me $700 and something!! expensive for one item, the item was light but big and bulky.

So don't rule out the "Air Mail" (forget British post office/parcel force).. check the courier companies . it may or may not be cheaper for a guitar, but it was for my engine parts... it's worth checking it out.

cheers
Old Dec 12th 2002, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping a guitar from UK to Australia

Sharon,
My hubby has used UPS a couple of times to send electric bass guitars from scandinavia and USA to/from UK. He paid £90 for one but generally expect between £100 - £200.

Cheers
Mash..

Thanks

Sharon
Old Dec 12th 2002, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Ooooooooooh expensive. I have found that Parcelforce can do it for around 40 pounds (sorry no pound sign on my aussie keyboard!). Any comments on using Parcelforce?? I want this guitar badly!
Old Dec 12th 2002, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

tipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

oh pluck it just get it sent.

if its an air guitar it should send its self.

sorry the wait for news is getting to me again.

tipper still struming along 19 months and still naff all do da do da.

happy easter.
Old Dec 13th 2002, 11:35 am
shellypuss

Hiya,

My experience of the UK end of Parcelforce is that they are rubbish - I have never sent anything with them but stuff I have received is never in the best condition. Many people I know have the same experience.

Might just be that delivery drivers in my area dont have the gentle touch.

Cheers,

Shelly

p.s. Speak soon

Ooooooooooh expensive. I have found that Parcelforce can do it for around 40 pounds (sorry no pound sign on my aussie keyboard!). Any comments on using Parcelforce?? I want this guitar badly!