British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Shipping a guitar from UK to Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/shipping-guitar-uk-australia-121536/)

wizzywozza Dec 11th 2002 11:03 am

Shipping a guitar from UK to Australia

Hi my friend is intending shipping a guitar to me as a present. Can anyone recommend a good company to use?? And approximate cost to send it??

Thanks

Sharon

Ceri Dec 11th 2002 10:32 pm

Re: Shipping a guitar from UK to Australia

Originally posted by wizzywozza
Hi my friend is intending shipping a guitar to me as a present. Can anyone recommend a good company to use?? And approximate cost to send it??

Thanks

Sharon

Hi,
Before you get shipping rates, check out the "Air Mail" rates too with the courier companies. Sometimes when something is bulky, a sole item.. it is no cheaper to ship it than to fly it. I had a huge box sent to me from Britain a few years ago (basically it was engine parts etc for a racing Go kart).. anyway, I bought it off a company in Britain, and found that it was actually cheaper to fly it than to ship it believe it or not.

I also sent my mum back in the uk, a huge oriental box. At the time I was moving from Singapore to Australia, so I used the same shipping company I was using to move my stuff with, to send and deliver this one item to my mum... it cost me $700 and something!! expensive for one item, the item was light but big and bulky.

So don't rule out the "Air Mail" (forget British post office/parcel force).. check the courier companies . it may or may not be cheaper for a guitar, but it was for my engine parts... it's worth checking it out.

cheers :)

mashiraz Dec 12th 2002 5:49 pm

Re: Shipping a guitar from UK to Australia

Sharon,
My hubby has used UPS a couple of times to send electric bass guitars from scandinavia and USA to/from UK. He paid £90 for one but generally expect between £100 - £200.

Cheers
Mash..

Thanks

Sharon

wizzywozza Dec 12th 2002 8:45 pm

Ooooooooooh expensive. I have found that Parcelforce can do it for around 40 pounds (sorry no pound sign on my aussie keyboard!). Any comments on using Parcelforce?? I want this guitar badly!

tipper Dec 12th 2002 9:12 pm

oh pluck it just get it sent.

if its an air guitar it should send its self.

sorry the wait for news is getting to me again.

tipper still struming along 19 months and still naff all do da do da.

happy easter.

shellypuss Dec 13th 2002 11:35 am

Hiya,

My experience of the UK end of Parcelforce is that they are rubbish - I have never sent anything with them but stuff I have received is never in the best condition. Many people I know have the same experience.

Might just be that delivery drivers in my area dont have the gentle touch.

Cheers,

Shelly

p.s. Speak soon

Ooooooooooh expensive. I have found that Parcelforce can do it for around 40 pounds (sorry no pound sign on my aussie keyboard!). Any comments on using Parcelforce?? I want this guitar badly!