Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SHIPPING FURNITURE?? IS IT WORTH IT OR BUY ALL NEW

SHIPPING FURNITURE?? IS IT WORTH IT OR BUY ALL NEW

Old May 16th 2008, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

sutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to all
Question SHIPPING FURNITURE?? IS IT WORTH IT OR BUY ALL NEW

Hi
Can anyone tell me if its worth shipping all ur belongings with you, or should we sell up and buy everything new??

Any ideas how much shipping costs??? eg FULL CONTAINER OR HALF CONTAINER?

Thanks
Old May 16th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: SHIPPING FURNITURE?? IS IT WORTH IT OR BUY ALL NEW

We've just been quoted by Anglo Pacific.
Our 20 Ft container will be 95% full and it will cost £4200

And thats just about everything that we own
Taken from a 4 bed house
Old May 16th 2008, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Katya_Mark has a spectacular aura aboutKatya_Mark has a spectacular aura aboutKatya_Mark has a spectacular aura about

We have a 2 bed house and Crown have quoted £2335 for a shared container.
Old May 16th 2008, 4:27 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

We have just been quoted £3565 for a 20ft sole use container by PSS International. 4 bed detached house with 3 kids (got a lot of stuff!)
Old May 16th 2008, 4:28 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tawkins1
We have just been quoted £3565 for a 20ft sole use container by PSS International. 4 bed detached house with 3 kids (got a lot of stuff!)
We'll need that just for our tools!!
Old May 16th 2008, 4:34 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just paid £1650 for a shared container with Pickfords, only a 2 bed house, but its mainly work tools we are taking. The Insurance was about £620 All Risks. So all told £2270
Old May 16th 2008, 6:09 pm
Mauled by the Tigers

Willerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura about

No actual price yet, but the shipping company told us the price would change depending on what type of ship the container went on. Although he was a lot more in depth basically he said we could send a container by a ship which would go straight to destination,and obviously take less time or we could choose a ship which stopped off at regular intervals, which would obviously the a lot longer. The faster turnarounds would be more expensive and cheaper for the slower ship etc. There are other options in between but i thought i would share that info with you. That is why there can be some quotes cheaper than others. It also depends on how far the container has to be transported from the port.

Ourselves we are taking quite a bit. Taking old table and chairs as that will get us through for a while, no sofas or chairs etc but that is mainly down to the one remaining one we have is on its last legs, plus i hate it anyway. Taking some pine bedroom furniture as it was made for us and its quite good. Most of stuff we have identified seems to be kids things.
Old May 16th 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

sutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Willerby_brisbane
No actual price yet, but the shipping company told us the price would change depending on what type of ship the container went on. Although he was a lot more in depth basically he said we could send a container by a ship which would go straight to destination,and obviously take less time or we could choose a ship which stopped off at regular intervals, which would obviously the a lot longer. The faster turnarounds would be more expensive and cheaper for the slower ship etc. There are other options in between but i thought i would share that info with you. That is why there can be some quotes cheaper than others. It also depends on how far the container has to be transported from the port.

Ourselves we are taking quite a bit. Taking old table and chairs as that will get us through for a while, no sofas or chairs etc but that is mainly down to the one remaining one we have is on its last legs, plus i hate it anyway. Taking some pine bedroom furniture as it was made for us and its quite good. Most of stuff we have identified seems to be kids things.
Hi
I,m same as you, leaving sofa as it is on its last legs, want to take table n chairs as they are new, want to take beds as they new and i have some new solid pine bedroom furniture thats new too that i want to take.
Notice your from willerby, I,m in withernsea. How far on are you with your application?
Mandy
Old May 16th 2008, 6:33 pm
Mauled by the Tigers

Willerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura about

We have already validate Visas in march and we are actually going for good at the beginning of July. Flights and shipping company booked.
Old May 16th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

We have already validate Visas in march and we are actually going for good at the beginning of July. Flights and shipping company booked.
Sounds good!!

Where abouts in oz are you going??
Old May 16th 2008, 6:38 pm
Mauled by the Tigers

Brisbane, maybe Forest Lake or somewhere around that area.
Old May 16th 2008, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Same here!!!
You,ll have to keep me posted as to how you get on.
I have never been to oz so its hard trying to find the right place, especially with kids. Mine are 11, 9, and 7 months. (all girls)
Mandy
Old May 16th 2008, 7:04 pm
Mauled by the Tigers

Originally Posted by sutty77
Same here!!!
You,ll have to keep me posted as to how you get on.
I have never been to oz so its hard trying to find the right place, especially with kids. Mine are 11, 9, and 7 months. (all girls)
Mandy
When we went in March, we also had never been before. When we got there it was not what i expected. That is not a good or bad point it was just different to my expectations. The people certainly seemed a lot more friendly and more laid back. But i have to say the longer we stayed the more i was sure we are doing the right thing. When we were due to come home i dont think any of us wanted to come back, kids were trying to negotiate room rates with friends we have there. Anyway as i said earlier we will be going back July so can finally get our lives back on track, as they seem to have been on hold since we made the decision in January last year to start the process. Have to say i am looking forward to moving there now. Have loads of apprehensions and fears etc but know we will make a good go of it when we get there. (Not sure what our friends will think of it when we descend on them, that will teach them to ask if we needed anything).
Old May 17th 2008, 7:42 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Willerby, we are flying out on 19th June and also heading for Forest Lake.
Old May 17th 2008, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

wheresnick is an unknown quantity at this point

We're heading over there late July. Staying in Redbank Plains initially but hoping to buy in either Forest Lake or Springfield Lakes. Seems to be more and more people heading to this part of Brisbane recently. Can't wait!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.