Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping furniture

shipping furniture

Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default shipping furniture

we have just got our visas and are planning to move next year.
Is it easy to take furniture etc. with you or is it easier/cheaper to buy it once we're over there?
If we ship some over where do we start? and how long does stuff usually take to arrive?
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:13 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping furniture

Originally posted by tracey.d
we have just got our visas and are planning to move next year.
Is it easy to take furniture etc. with you or is it easier/cheaper to buy it once we're over there?
If we ship some over where do we start? and how long does stuff usually take to arrive?
See this lovely recent thread about shipping versus buying:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hipping+buying

Usually takes about 6 weeks, but add a few weeks for it to get through customs.

There's been heaps of talk on here before about shippers and stuff, so try the search function

I'm for shipping EVERYTHING.
Unless you're a millionaire. And then you'd still have enough to ship, all your personal stuff, with the memories etc....
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:16 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Simone
I'm for shipping EVERYTHING.
Yes but you had practically nothing to ship! Half a 20-footer, I dunno, chicken feed! (Still a vast amount more than I left univeristy with, that would have fitted in a couple of suitcases.)
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:19 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Yes but you had practically nothing to ship! Half a 20-footer, I dunno, chicken feed! (Still a vast amount more than I left univeristy with, that would have fitted in a couple of suitcases.)
It wasn't that nothing. I'm quite sure you'd have to have a big family with at least 2 kids to fill a 20ft normally, or have excesively much junk.
You don't know how much kitchen stuff I had, and books...
5 mattrasses!!! Even my old dolls from childhood. 2 computers....
Camping gear...
2 dining tables.
At least 12 chairs
A HUGE couch
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:31 pm
Class 2 Guru

It wasn't that nothing. I'm quite sure you'd have to have a big family with at least 2 kids to fill a 20ft normally, or have excesively much junk.
No, there's just the two of us and we're heading for most of a 40-footer. And that's after throwing out the junk like old furniture, beds, mattresses...

You don't know how much kitchen stuff I had, and books...
Actually you kindly posted an inventory, so yes we do know how much you had. Not very many boxes of books as I recall (although I don't know how big a box is).

You just wait 20 or 30 years and then see how much stuff you've accumulated.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:45 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Just you MarkMyWords

Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:52 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

No, there's just the two of us and we're heading for most of a 40-footer. And that's after throwing out the junk like old furniture, beds, mattresses...

Actually you kindly posted an inventory, so yes we do know how much you had. Not very many boxes of books as I recall (although I don't know how big a box is).

Yeah, it'll definetly be more!!!!

But um, how do you know you'll need a 40ft?
Have you packed a container before?
Or has a shipper been round to estimate?

(yes, I'm finding it hard to believe )
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:02 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Just you MarkMyWords
Ta da! ('bout time too!)
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:03 pm
Class 2 Guru

But um, how do you know you'll need a 40ft?
Or has a shipper been round to estimate?
Two, actually. Both said more or less 30 foots-worth. Believe me, given the cost, if we could get it down we would!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:08 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Two, actually. Both said more or less 30 foots-worth. Believe me, given the cost, if we could get it down we would!
Ah, but see, they always exagerate!! And two's not many! I'd get more quotes, the prices can vary heaps!

And, if you pack it yourself, you can make it much smaller.
They use heaps of packing material. Which is good of course, but definetly not always necessarrily.

But, you of course aren't gonna bet on it being less, so you'll have to go for a 40 ft.... You are doing groupage then? That they put some more stuff in you container?
Our shipper was really flexible, it didn't matter if we had a bit more than we said, he'd just fill the rest up with other stuff.