Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping food stuffs

Shipping food stuffs

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping food stuffs

What, if anything, are we allowed to ship (airfreight) in relation to food stuff?

I have a good selection of dreid herbs n spices (some open, some sealed), salt, pepper, pasta, rice, flours, stock cubes etc? I know I can buy out there but dont really want to throw money away here if i can take it with us especially as they are already in my cupboard
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shipping food stuffs

Often depends on the agent at the airport, but things that are sealed or clearly unopened are generally OK.
I wouldn't bother with anything that is partially used.

Make sure you declare everything, they get very shirty if you don't.

Can you bring me some marmite?
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
What, if anything, are we allowed to ship (airfreight) in relation to food stuff?

I have a good selection of dreid herbs n spices (some open, some sealed), salt, pepper, pasta, rice, flours, stock cubes etc? I know I can buy out there but dont really want to throw money away here if i can take it with us especially as they are already in my cupboard
Do you mean take it with you on the plane or send it by air? Either way, is it really worth the hassle/cost?

Mx
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely bring the salt, you can't get salt in Australia.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:18 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Any packets that aren't sealed, forget about it. Sealed, unopened packets, clearly labelled with the contents, should be OK if declared - try and bring in anything without declaring it and watch AQIS jump on you very painfully.

As previously said, is it really worth the hassle? What are we talking about, a hundred quid or so? Give it to your local homeless charity before leaving.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

am thinking more along the lines of having at least some basic kitchen food stuff for our new home, especially as my husband is gluten intolerant - it wil give me time to find stuff once we arrive.
We have an allowance of sea and airfreight from my husbands company, who are paying shipping costs, so it would be thrown in the air freight container. Guess it would just need to be delared on the info sheets.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

am thinking more along the lines of having at least some basic kitchen food stuff for our new home, especially as my husband is gluten intolerant - it wil give me time to find stuff once we arrive.
We have an allowance of sea and airfreight from my husbands company, who are paying shipping costs, so it would be thrown in the air freight container. Guess it would just need to be delared on the info sheets.
That's great if the stuff you ship arrives at the same time as you do.

But, if you have to wait a couple of weeks/months for it to get here - you'd have to re-buy everything anyway?

I'd only do it if you can ship the stuff before you leave - so it's available to you when you get here. Otherwise - not worth it.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

We are in a hotel the first couple of weeks, by which time our air freight stuff will have arrived and hopefully we will be in our own place. I am one of these people who always has at least one spare pack of dried stuff in the cupboard, so even though i havent been replacing as used up i still have quite a bit. The cost soon mounts up and we will have space for the sealed food i may as well bring what i can.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

i was thinking of a similar thing, not so much the dried herbs but have loads and loads of spices/seasoning etc. But most are opened, as have been bought for a specific reciepe, so most are also virtually full.

Would you say its a "no go" then if they are opened?
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Forget about bringing any food items that are opened. There would probably also be a problem with anything, sealed or open, that looked anything like seeds or that it might contain seeds, or peel.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bring open packets. Don't bring any fruit, veg, plant stuffs, dairy stuff, fresh stuff, meat or fish.
Anything you do bring, declare it on the passenger card when you enter the country.
Most foods have been mentioned on BE over the years so do a search for anything in particular.

Official site is - http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/e...alia/cant-take
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

nailbite is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Shipping food stuffs

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't bring open packets. Don't bring any fruit, veg, plant stuffs, dairy stuff, fresh stuff, meat or fish.
Anything you do bring, declare it on the passenger card when you enter the country.
Most foods have been mentioned on BE over the years so do a search for anything in particular.

Official site is - http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/e...alia/cant-take
Do you think you could bring in a Marks & Spencer plum pudding on a flight from UK?
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

lynx1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Shipping food stuffs

Bring Bananas you will make a killing on todays market, forget about people smuggling drugs, Bananas seem to be more valuable at the moment ! Excuse me sir madam do you have anything to declare ......... oh no bananas you must buy them at 12 quid a bunch here. That suitcase contains $800 worth of Bananas!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynx1979
Bring Bananas you will make a killing on todays market, forget about people smuggling drugs, Bananas seem to be more valuable at the moment ! Excuse me sir madam do you have anything to declare ......... oh no bananas you must buy them at 12 quid a bunch here. That suitcase contains $800 worth of Bananas!
Don't even think about it, AQIS will confiscate them!

Originally Posted by nailbite
Do you think you could bring in a Marks & Spencer plum pudding on a flight from UK?
Yes. Done it several times with Asda ones, Sealed, declared as Christmas puddings, been fine

Most of the AQIS guys are used to Brits bringing in food - I now have a list in my hand so I don't forget anything and I just hand it over and say "The usual British food....." which often gets a grin in return
Old Aug 5th 2011, 9:58 am
Just Joined

JoandJon is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd like to ship over some of our home-made relishes and sauces (we have a very productive vegie patch and i'd rather not give it ALLLL away).

I emailed AQIS and think I got a 'probably yes' response, but wondered if anyone's brought similar things over before?

Cheers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.