Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping food stuffs

Shipping food stuffs

Old Jul 6th 2006, 9:42 am
Just Joined

archandlee has a brilliant futurearchandlee has a brilliant futurearchandlee has a brilliant futurearchandlee has a brilliant futurearchandlee has a brilliant futurearchandlee has a brilliant future
Question Shipping food stuffs

Hi
Could anyone help, we are signing up with a shipping company and they have told us that we can't ship any food stuff. Does this include things like tins, packs of lentils, flour etc that haven't been opened?? It seems a bit strict if so.
Any advise would be appreciated..
Thanks
Arch
Old Jul 6th 2006, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping food stuffs

Originally Posted by archandlee
Hi
Could anyone help, we are signing up with a shipping company and they have told us that we can't ship any food stuff. Does this include things like tins, packs of lentils, flour etc that haven't been opened?? It seems a bit strict if so.
Thanks
Arch
Hello Arch, Can't help with tinned food, lentils or flour but we bought in hand luggage 2 large jars or Marmite (Vegimite doesn't do it for us ) declared them at customs as food stuff no problem at all.

Nicky & John
Old Jul 6th 2006, 11:19 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thanks
Arch

Flour and lentils etc could bring in insects, weevils etc. I don't know about tins... but really, unless you've saved up tins in preparation for WW3 and your underground bunker walls are lined with them floor to ceiling, just do what most people do and give to a friend. Given that your stuff could be 3 months on the ship, you don't want to be responsible for bringing some horrible insect into the country that will descimate the environment.
Of course it's very strict... Australia's an island and is hugely protective of it's wellbeing.
You can buy flour, lentils and tinned goods here too.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Flour and lentils etc could bring in insects, weevils etc. I don't know about tins... but really, unless you've saved up tins in preparation for WW3 and your underground bunker walls are lined with them floor to ceiling, just do what most people do and give to a friend. Given that your stuff could be 3 months on the ship, you don't want to be responsible for bringing some horrible insect into the country that will descimate the environment.
Of course it's very strict... Australia's an island and is hugely protective of it's wellbeing.
Personally I can't see why you would want to take grocery items, the stores stock the usual things and if they don't you can try other items. The only things we're taking are for our friends who are missing Hula Hoops and Quavers, so a few bags of them in our luggage - whether they survive or not is a different matter!
Old Jul 6th 2006, 11:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DebraH
whether they survive or not is a different matter!

They could just be bags of cheese dust by the time they get here.

And as for bringing lentils, why fill up expensive shipping space with something so cheap? It just doesn't make sense.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

They could just be bags of cheese dust by the time they get here.

And as for bringing lentils, why fill up expensive shipping space with something so cheap? It just doesn't make sense.
well maybe they've never been to oz before.

how's it going
have you unpacked everything?
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

archandlee has a brilliant futurearchandlee has a brilliant futurearchandlee has a brilliant futurearchandlee has a brilliant futurearchandlee has a brilliant futurearchandlee has a brilliant future

Thanks guys
I don't really want to bring in things that I know I can get, but I am Indian and want some of the unusual flours that are used in cooking traditional foods, alternatively does anyone know of any Indian food grocery stores in and around melbourne?
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Thanks guys
I don't really want to bring in things that I know I can get, but I am Indian and want some of the unusual flours that are used in cooking traditional foods, alternatively does anyone know of any Indian food grocery stores in and around melbourne?

Well if there aren't, then you've found your gap in the market, but I rather suspect you'll be absolutely fine.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys
Hi can't speak for Melbourne, but I know in Perth there were some Asian stores, they may have been Chinese though (well it was last August and my brain is not working very well today)
I'm sure someone will help you. Is it Garam flour - is that how you spell it? I'll have a look on coles for you
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

how's it going
have you unpacked everything?

<collapses in hysterical laughter>

The kids have unpacked though...
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi can't speak for Melbourne, but I know in Perth there were some Asian stores, they may have been Chinese though (well it was last August and my brain is not working very well today)
I'm sure someone will help you. Is it Garam flour - is that how you spell it? I'll have a look on coles for you
My local Coles does that flour and there are stacks of asian supermarkets with all manner of fab ingredients. Can't imagine you will have a problem. There are also some internet spice shops.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
My local Coles does that flour and there are stacks of asian supermarkets with all manner of fab ingredients. Can't imagine you will have a problem. There are also some internet spice shops.

There are plenty of Indian restaurants here, so they must get their supplies from somewhere ...
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

<collapses in hysterical laughter>

The kids have unpacked though...
Pull yourself together woman and get a drink
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

Pull yourself together woman and get a drink

Righto!
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Righto!
then got on with the packing - mind you what's the time there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.