Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping a few boxes - just a thought

Shipping a few boxes - just a thought

Old Sep 21st 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shipping a few boxes - just a thought

Great post, thanks.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sparkley23
I thought it was a good deal too. I was quoted -
7 boxes, £350.20
8 boxes - £370.60
10 boxes - £404.60
15 boxes - £540.60
20 boxes - £557.67

So you can see the more you ship, the cheaper it gets - only £17 diff between 15 and 20 boxes!

I basically logged on loads of websites and got quotes. Nearly all of them are actually run by Excess baggage - London Baggage, Company, 1st Contact, but they market themselves under different names. Def shop around, the prices vary enormously. I was quoted £560 by Anglo Pacific for 10 boxes, the same amount could have got me 20 boxes with 1st Contact!

The boxes I chose were T Cartons with a max weight of 35kg per box. If you put all heavy stuff in, like books, stereos etc, they will weigh about 40kg so you just have to mix it up a bit. I put all my heavy stuff in like books, but also put light things like clothes to make them less than 35kg. They are 4.5cu Ft and are 61x51x41cm or 24x20x16 inches.
Hope that helps
Thanks to this very informative post, I am now using 1st contact - they are dropping off the boxes tomorrow
I was quoted a bit more than Sparkley for Melbourne, but still only £600 for 20 boxes.
I initially thought Seven Seas were going to be the cheapest, but they don't offer any special rates for this number of boxes so the cost would have been:
First Box - £89, all others £45.
We didn't intend to use as many as 20 to be honest because of the cost but at just £600 we might as well
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Clairertw has a spectacular aura aboutClairertw has a spectacular aura aboutClairertw has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Thanks to this very informative post, I am now using 1st contact - they are dropping off the boxes tomorrow
Hi Dianne - have you started packing yet? would be interested to know roughly how much stuff you get in each 1st contact box e.g. no of books or items of clothing?

i'm flying a few weeks after you and am struggling with how many boxes i'll need. i know i can order more boxes from 1st Contact than i need but its more about the need to budget the shipping costs really. thanks and good luck with the packing!
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Clairertw
Hi Dianne - have you started packing yet? would be interested to know roughly how much stuff you get in each 1st contact box e.g. no of books or items of clothing?

i'm flying a few weeks after you and am struggling with how many boxes i'll need. i know i can order more boxes from 1st Contact than i need but its more about the need to budget the shipping costs really. thanks and good luck with the packing!
Hi Claire,
Have started packing today - it's a nightmare .
The boxes are pretty big - can't really say how many items of clothing because there are so many!
But I have loads and loads of clothes and shoes and have got them all into three and a half boxes.
Probably at a rough guess you can get twice as much as you can in a suitcase.
I'd say we'll be using a box per room eg, one for kitchen stuff, one for all the stuff in the office, one for CDs and videos.
We've got 20 boxes but may well not use them all.
One word of warning - we've discovered that we can't fit any of our pictures in the boxes as they are a bit too big...and they are not particularly big pictures. So if you have anything like that it may be wise to ask for a few of different shapes and sizes. Our pictures are now going to have to be left behind
Good luck with the move
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Clairertw has a spectacular aura aboutClairertw has a spectacular aura aboutClairertw has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Hi Claire,
Have started packing today - it's a nightmare .
The boxes are pretty big - can't really say how many items of clothing because there are so many!
But I have loads and loads of clothes and shoes and have got them all into three and a half boxes.
Probably at a rough guess you can get twice as much as you can in a suitcase.
I'd say we'll be using a box per room eg, one for kitchen stuff, one for all the stuff in the office, one for CDs and videos.
We've got 20 boxes but may well not use them all.
One word of warning - we've discovered that we can't fit any of our pictures in the boxes as they are a bit too big...and they are not particularly big pictures. So if you have anything like that it may be wise to ask for a few of different shapes and sizes. Our pictures are now going to have to be left behind
Good luck with the move
Thanks so much - that's a brilliant brilliant help! Poor you though - sounds awful but, as with this whole process, it will all be worth it in the end. Perhaps you could get your pics airmailed over when you're settled somewhere? Hope so - I know it's those sorts of things I'll need with me to feel at home at first. Good luck and thanks again - k sent - and have a well deserved
xx
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice

Hiya

Someone on here recommended a while back - Advance Forwarding in Derby.

I contacted them (Jayne has been amazingly helpful) the price I have for 2 cubic metres (16 50cmx50x50 boxes) is £480 including all admin, this is door to port ans will pay the delivery the other ewnd from port to door if I need to as it is cheaper to oragnise from there

I would recommend Advance anytime

Jo
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

bluenose3 is a jewel in the roughbluenose3 is a jewel in the roughbluenose3 is a jewel in the roughbluenose3 is a jewel in the rough

We got door to door for two square meters with Excess baggage Company. We dealt with them 4 years ago too, and their prices got cheaper!

excessbaggage.com they advertise on here and google.

Originally Posted by jossy
Hiya

Someone on here recommended a while back - Advance Forwarding in Derby.

I contacted them (Jayne has been amazingly helpful) the price I have for 2 cubic metres (16 50cmx50x50 boxes) is £480 including all admin, this is door to port ans will pay the delivery the other ewnd from port to door if I need to as it is cheaper to oragnise from there

I would recommend Advance anytime

Jo
Old Oct 15th 2006, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

steved is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I missing something here? I just went to the 1st Contact website and was quoted £564 to send 7 tea chests. How did you get quoted £350?

Cheers,

sd.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

wannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by suebrennan
I decided after much humming and hawing to ship 4 boxes to Oz. These included linen. clothes, photos from my travels and other stuff. Now having been in Oz for 7 weeks or so and still no sign of my boxes which are Sydney bound and yes I know that I am in Brisbane (will spare you the logic) - I have nearly bought everything that I thought I was going to save money on by shipping them.

Just bear that in mind if you are in the same boat.

Sue

Maybe I should take this up???

Ummmmm Im about to do the same......!!!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NeilCk
We are thinking of selling our furniture and just shipping personal stuff, this looks a cheaper option and the money we save on shipping we can use to buy new furniture. Just one thing to be aware of on the 1st contact web site its says there may be a quarantine inspection cost on top of the shipping cost this it says can be between 40 & 200 dollars depends if and how many boxes they inspect. Neil.
Well my stuff doesnt even get into port till 7 November and the clearance agent has contacted me for payment of the quarantine inspection cost. I was told it would depend on how much, if any gets inspected. As my boxes will be in a shared container, they are supposed to share the cost equally between all people sharing the container based on how much stuff they have. But I just got charged $90. Better than $200 so not so fussed. i think they just work out an average of what it normally is and get you to pay it up front to avoid any delays. So guess if customs don't inspect then they just pocket everyone's $90!!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
If it was just 4 boxes and nothing else. Then why did you not just fly them over? More pricey but far quicker.
What have you done baout not having an address? Did you get them sent to the port?
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
What have you done baout not having an address? Did you get them sent to the port?
They contact you when you are in the country and find out what your new address is to get them delivered to. If you ship them just before you leave then you have a good few weeks whilst they are in transit to get yourself sorted before they arrive and are ready to be delivered
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steved
Am I missing something here? I just went to the 1st Contact website and was quoted £564 to send 7 tea chests. How did you get quoted £350?

Cheers,

sd.
I really don't know. I guess it depends on whether you live within the M25 area or not (which is cheaper) I'd try what an earlier poster did and keep ringing them up till you get the quote you want. A good idea is also to get a number of quotes and then play them off against each other as you will find that, like car insurance for example, they have the discretion to drop their prices considerably if you tell them someone else can do it cheaper. Also, when you go to the sites, ask for a detailed quote to be emailed to you as this is where you will often get the cheaper prices than just using the online quick quotes.