Reload this Page >

Shipping an elderly kitty

Shipping an elderly kitty

Old Dec 10th 2004, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

heading_downunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping an elderly kitty

Hello

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had any experience of taking an elderly cat to Oz, or knows of anyone who has? My kitty will be 16 years old when I am due to be travelling. I've had him since he was 6 weeks and it would break my heart to leave him behind with a family member. But on the other hand I would hate to put him through a great deal of undue stress which might affect his health (or even finish him off, God forbid.) Also, I am really worried about the fact that he would likely be miserable and missing me if I leave him behind (and that would probably stress him out too..... sigh!)

What I'd really like to hear is some stories of folks who have successfully re-settled their elderly cats in Oz and that the cats have gone on to live happy contented lives for a few more years.

Can anyone put my mind at rest or offer any comments?
Old Dec 10th 2004, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Shipping an elderly kitty

Hi

Our cat came over with us a few months ago and now that she is settled seems Purr- fickly happy. At 12 (human years) she’s probably more middle aged than elderly. I went through all the same thoughts about leaving her behind but in the end I didn’t want to be always wondering if she was okay, now after spending approx £1300 she is a very expensive plain old domestic cat but having her here has been worth every penny however long she lasts. We cant say how much stress she endured during the flight but on visiting her in quarantine within a few day of her arrival, she seemed none the worse for it. Having started to put on her winter coat before leaving the UK she was shedding at an alarming rate for the first few weeks, but while in quarantine they are well looked after and checked by their vet. Will be glad to help with any more questions, feel free to ask.

Scot
Old Dec 11th 2004, 1:41 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

8 years ago my mate took her 3 cats from UK to NZ: 2 of them were 12, the other 10. The 10 year old died a few years back (had health probs since kittenhood) one of the others died peacefully last year aged 19, the other is 20 & still going strong (sleeps a lot now though ).

She used Airpets, who we also used for bringing our 2 8-yo cats to Oz. All fine.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies. It's good to know that the quarantine stations take good care of the animals.

I am intending to settle in Adelaide but I have heard they don't have a quarantine station there. I am hoping this is incorrect because, if I did go ahead and bring my kittie with me, I would like to be close enough to visit him in the quarantine station.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Trax is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=heading_downunder]Hello
Hi,

I was really interested to read your post. We are in a similar position. Our cat (again basic domestic) is about 15 years old, and not in particularly good health. In fact, each time we think she's probably not going to last much longer, she does a complete turn around!

Anyhow, we brought here over to the Caribbean when we moved here just over 3 years ago (she was then 12 yrs old), feeling the same as you. She might not live long, but at least she would be with us. Our vet agreed with us. She coped admirably with the journey (very alert at both airports - having a good look around) That's quite something as she has always been extremely neurotic thing (she was a shelter cat when we got her, so we don't know exactly what she went through before we got her)

Now we are moving to Sydney at the end of January, and wondering if she is going to cope with the trip (or even survive to the 31st January!). I think we will do all the paperwork, and she how she gets on. Again, we could never have her put down, if there was no need for it.

Good luck with your cat - from our experience, they take the travelling completely in their stride.

Regards

Trax
Old Dec 12th 2004, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by heading_downunder
Thanks for your replies. It's good to know that the quarantine stations take good care of the animals.

I am intending to settle in Adelaide but I have heard they don't have a quarantine station there. I am hoping this is incorrect because, if I did go ahead and bring my kittie with me, I would like to be close enough to visit him in the quarantine station.

Just something to consider if the occasion arises. If you go to the quarantine station to visit your cat, it can be quite distressing for them. They dont understand why they are there, and will expect you to be taking them home each time you go to visit. When you dont take them, it can confuse and upset them when you leave without them.

I know, for you it might be important to see your cat....but, think seriously about it before you do.

Hels
Old Dec 12th 2004, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hels,

You are right - I hadn't considered it from that angle. The last thing I would want to do is distress him any further. The longest he has been away from me before is 2 weeks when he was in a local cattery while I went on holiday and he seemed none the worse for that but that was about 3 years ago - he's older now.

Trax,

Thanks for you input. I am encouraged by your post. I think on balance that I will probably take him with me and hope for the best. How long does it take to organise all the paperwork? I have heard that it can be quite lengthly.

And if you don't mind, do let me know how it goes with your kittie when you move at the end of January. I'd really be interested in knowing how it works out for you.

One more question for anybody who is or has been out in Oz with a migrant cat - how do they react to the change in climate and the heat?

Last edited by heading_downunder; Dec 12th 2004 at 12:08 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 7:24 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

When we were considering Adelaide, we got quotes for taking cats and they included about $250 onward shipping from Melbourne to Adelaide as there is not a quarantine in Adelaide. I seem to remember reading a thread that there were only 3 points of entry for animals into Australia: Sydney; Melbourne; and Perth but someone may correct me. But if you are now thinking about not visiting I guess that is less of a problem now.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

With regards to the Sydney Quarantine centre the cat runs (or cells as I prefer to call them) are very basic. [Attached are couple of photos of our ‘Puss’ doing time] I can see where Hels is coming from with regards to upset or distress being caused by visits but would suggest that this is felt much more by the visitors than the cat. Each time (once a week) we visited we longed for that day when we would take her away with us and always felt sad on leaving, glancing at the other cats ‘doing time’ as we departed down the long corridor of cells every cat had that look of ‘Please take me home with you’ not unlike puppies in a pet shop window.
The plus’s we found to visiting Puss’ apart from the long drive (Wollongong to the other side of Sydney) were that we could take her treats, toys and something comfy to sleep on. The girl (warder) (really lovely helpful lass) was quite happy to put aside treats to give her each day. As I said the cells are very basic. With hindsight we would also have taken a piece of wood or scratch post as her claws were very long by the time she was ‘sprung’.

A couple of other useful hints for anyone using the Sydney centre; entry to the complex is via a large electronic sliding gate, there’s a button to press (intercom) to request entry, however each time we tried to use this it didn’t seem to work, luckily as people leave the door opens automatically for them so take the opportunity and get through!
The day freedom comes your cat will be ready and waiting for you in the foyer all boxed up and looking forward to tasting some of those huge new insects they’ve been salivating over for the past month.
A wee word of warning if you have any distance at all to travel ask the centre not to feed your pet that morning. (It’s a pity nothing could be done about the other natural movements – you get the picture) We drove to Parkes straight after picking Puss up and the first hour was not pleasant at all, five times we stopped to clean out her box before she eventually ran dry – oh and one of those cat leads is a must too! Meant we could walk her occasionally en-route. We got puss used to wearing one prior to leaving the UK.
And finally would recommend that you cover the cat box over with a towel or something, if they cant see what is going on around them they settle down quickly.

Scot
Attached Thumbnails Shipping an elderly kitty-cell1.jpg   Shipping an elderly kitty-cell2.jpg  
Old Dec 13th 2004, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone for all your input. I will weigh it all up very carefully.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Trax is an unknown quantity at this point

About your question whether your cat would cope with the hot weather. Our temperature here is 32 degrees all year long, and our cat Gaby has thrived on it the past 3 years, after years of cold wet UK weather. So I wouldn't worry on that account.

As for the paperwork, has your cat had its Rabies innoculations and Microchip done? She then has to wait about 6 to 7 months after that. The paperwork is not too bad if you are organised about it, as certain things have to happen at certain dates before the cat is allowed to fly. One of the things you need is an import permit from Australia, which must be issued no more than 6 months before departure. There is a lot of info available on the internet if you need it.

Hope this helps

best wishes

Trax
Old Dec 14th 2004, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hels
Just something to consider if the occasion arises. If you go to the quarantine station to visit your cat, it can be quite distressing for them. They dont understand why they are there, and will expect you to be taking them home each time you go to visit. When you dont take them, it can confuse and upset them when you leave without them.

I know, for you it might be important to see your cat....but, think seriously about it before you do.

Hels
I took our cats to the shipping agency this weekend - they fly on Saturday. We have a 5 yr old male and a neurotic 10 yr old female. They were both pretty frightened as they had never really travelled before. The noise of the dogs at the shipping company kennels did frighten them, but I have been assured that they are fine now. No doubt this will not be the best 5 weeks of their lives, but i just think that we and they would feel worse overall if we left them here.

In relation to Hels point, we are not actually arriving in OZ until Jan 16th, by which time the cats will be 3 days short of completing their sentance and will be allowed out for good behaviour. We though it best to send them over now so that a) we didnt keep visiting / confusing them and b) we didnt have to put them in catteries her in the uk over xmas when we have a lot on

Hope all goes will with your move, I will update you on the state of our cats when we get to OZ

Dave
Old Dec 14th 2004, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Sophie is 15 years old, diabetic and requiring 2 x daily insulin injections. We were moe than a little apprehensive about flying her out to Oz. We took advice from our Vet and from Airpets and they reassured us but we were still anxious. We were advised to bring her to Airpets near Heathrow before the removal men came in and that was a good idea. One less thing to worry about. Airpets gave her the injections. We decided on Melbourne quarantine station (although we have since moved to Sydney). The staff at the station were kindness itself. There is a real cat lover on the staff and I cannot for the life of me remember his name but it might be Darren or Wayne. :-( Anyway she was well looked after, given injections as advised and as far as I know there were no extra charges for that. The first time we went to see her she looked very depressed but the second and third time she was a bit more perky - so I would not know about not visiting. She has been out of quarantine a month enjoying the Sydney weather and she looks very healthy. Her coat is good and a vet's report today said her blood sugar was spot on - which is more than can be said for when we were at home. In fact I think the cat has fared better with the move than the humans. One thing to bear in mind - if you are travelling in Australia, not many motels etc, let you have pets with you. that can be a problem. However Sophie has travelled around most of Europe when we were caravanning so travelling by Campervan here could be an answer! (If your cat likes road trave that is.) Good luck and if we can be of help let us know. Ian12

Hello

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had any experience of taking an elderly cat to Oz, or knows of anyone who has? My kitty will be 16 years old when I am due to be travelling. I've had him since he was 6 weeks and it would break my heart to leave him behind with a family member. But on the other hand I would hate to put him through a great deal of undue stress which might affect his health (or even finish him off, God forbid.) Also, I am really worried about the fact that he would likely be miserable and missing me if I leave him behind (and that would probably stress him out too..... sigh!)

What I'd really like to hear is some stories of folks who have successfully re-settled their elderly cats in Oz and that the cats have gone on to live happy contented lives for a few more years.

Can anyone put my mind at rest or offer any comments?
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Gosh.... I didn't realise that you had to start the whole process as early as 7 months ahead of your move.

No, my cat has not had any rabies injections. He's not had anything apart from his annual cat flu and enteritis boosters. He does suffer from hyperthyroidism though and is on a tablet daily (for the rest of his life) to keep his thyroid level stable.

And micro-chipping? That sounds painful. I assume he will have to have this done and the rabies injection, in order to be accepted into Oz?

It's reassuring to hear about cats that have taken well to the Oz heat, and that the quarantine stations (and "wardens") are not all that bad.

I have also heard Airpets mentioned a few times on the forum. Is this company one of the best to use for migrating cats? (I live North of the border so I am nowhere near Heathrow.)

Thanks again for all your really useful comments. I'd love to hear how the kitties settle when they get their "parole".
Old Dec 14th 2004, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Gosh.... I didn't realise that you had to start the whole process as early as 7 months ahead of your move.

No, my cat has not had any rabies injections. He's not had anything apart from his annual cat flu and enteritis boosters. He does suffer from hyperthyroidism though and is on a tablet daily (for the rest of his life) to keep his thyroid level stable.

And micro-chipping? That sounds painful. I assume he will have to have this done and the rabies injection, in order to be accepted into Oz?

It's reassuring to hear about cats that have taken well to the Oz heat, and that the quarantine stations (and "wardens") are not all that bad.

I have also heard Airpets mentioned a few times on the forum. Is this company one of the best to use for migrating cats? (I live North of the border so I am nowhere near Heathrow.)

Thanks again for all your really useful comments. I'd love to hear how the kitties settle when they get their "parole".

We are using Golden Arrow based on recommendations from this forum and after talking to them. So far I am happy with Golden Arrow, I will let you know how it all goes.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.