Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping the Dog - Bloody Expensive!

Shipping the Dog - Bloody Expensive!

Old Mar 27th 2003, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

ianduggan5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping the Dog - Bloody Expensive!

Be careful when you ship your dog! The size of the container may not be the size that your dogs really needs!

We are just about to exchange on our house and so we are getting everything ready to go, finally! So we asked for quotes from 4 different firms, they were all different, get ready for these prices!

Firm 1: £2606.00
Firm 2: £2902.00
Firm 3: £2889.00
Firm 4: £3400.00

Yep I know bloody expensive! but then our dog is an Old English Mastiff and is the equivalent size of two Great Danes welded down the middle. Also is she cannot go then the rest of the family will not go, so the cheque book is going to get hit hard!

Go with the cheapest yes?

NO!

Whe we started to dig into why so expensive and why so large a difference in price we found out about the size of the kennel to ship the dog in. He is the link to the BA web site that tells you the size of kennel needed http://www.britishairways.com/travel/pet/public/en_
as per the IATA requirements.

The measurements of our dog are

a: 52 inches
b: 20 inches
c: 15 inches
d: 36 inches

Using the formulas on the BA page the kennel size should be

62 inches in length, 30 inches wide and 39 inches long

These were the sizes that the firms offered.

Firm 1: 59 inches long, 23.5 inches wide, 43.75 high
Firm 2: 62 inches long, 26 inches wide, 40 inches high
Firm 3: 65 inches long, 23 inches wide, 38 inches high
Firm 4: 63 inches long, 34 inches wide, 40 inches high

We pushed a bed near a wall to see how wide a gap she needed to turn around in, it had to be at least 30 inches wide. If we went with all but one of these firms she would not have been able to turn around and would have had a very miserable journey.

Guess who is getting our money!
Old Mar 27th 2003, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Better tell Molly the overweight labrador that she is on a diet. Phew what a price!
Old Mar 27th 2003, 1:42 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping the Dog - Bloody Expensive!

[QUOTE

These were the sizes that the firms offered.

Firm 1: 59 inches long, 23.5 inches wide, 43.75 high
Firm 2: 62 inches long, 26 inches wide, 40 inches high
Firm 3: 65 inches long, 23 inches wide, 38 inches high
Firm 4: 63 inches long, 34 inches wide, 40 inches high

We pushed a bed near a wall to see how wide a gap she needed to turn around in, it had to be at least 30 inches wide. If we went with all but one of these firms she would not have been able to turn around and would have had a very miserable journey.

Guess who is getting our money! [/QUOTE]

Good to hear that there really are dog lovers out there
Old Mar 27th 2003, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

for that price i'd expect it to be up front with the pilot!!!

however-

surely it makes sense to give it away and buy a new one??

it's only a dog afterall and you'd love the new one just as much wouldn't you..??

think about it

old doggie (not used to heat) get's nice new owners long happy life
no stressful flight and change of environment/heat, snakes, spiders etc etc

you get a nice fresh new doggie (local -so aclimatised) lasts a lifetime

you-3 grand up on the deal

everybody wins..!!

job's a good'en

cheers

richard
Old Mar 27th 2003, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by r.bartlett

everybody wins..!!

job's a good'en

cheers

richard
I think not!

Kid's un-happy, yet another unwanted dog, wife un-happy, my nut's, rusty scissors :scared:

Regards,

Ian
Old Mar 27th 2003, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

pickletheplacid is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm trying to picture two Great Danes welded together.......

Plus if you get a new dog you can go though that sweet puppy stage again.

How well did you do the bed/ wall test, did you just call him to turn round of did you offer him food to turn round - you know these mogies if they want to REALLY do something they do it.

Having said all that our cats are coming with us or we don't go either. (even my user name is named after one of them - sad.
And Yes the kitten thing is very appealing.

pickletheplacid
Old Mar 27th 2003, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

it's only a dog after all and you'd love the new one just as much wouldn't you..??
You are joking right, winding people up?

So they should just dump their dog like the thousands of others that are each year dumped because their owners have decided they've got better, other, more important and interesting things to do?? Animals aren't toys that can just be discarded as the mood takes one.

A dog, any pet, should be for life, if you can't/won't make that commitment don't get one. And finding new owners for older dogs is usuallly rather difficult as most people want a cute puppy.

sashimi
:lecture:
Old Mar 27th 2003, 2:53 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by sashimi
You are joking right, winding people up?

So they should just dump their dog like the thousands of others that are each year dumped because their owners have decided they've got better, other, more important and interesting things to do?? Animals aren't toys that can just be discarded as the mood takes one.

A dog, any pet, should be for life, if you can't/won't make that commitment don't get one. And finding new owners for older dogs is usuallly rather difficult as most people want a cute puppy.

sashimi
:lecture:
I agree

if our wee dog can't go, then I can't go. He is like my wee boy and very much part of the family.
Old Mar 27th 2003, 3:08 pm
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point

Completely agree!!

We didn't go with the cheapest either, went with the one who sounded liked they cared most and had the curtosy to remember his name rather than refer to the "croossbreed"

Would rather leave my husband behind than the dog!!

Sarah
Old Mar 27th 2003, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

here,here!!
Old Mar 27th 2003, 4:37 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shipping the Dog - Bloody Expensive!

I was going to take the cat. At first I was not going if the cat could not go. But then I thought about the flight and he wouldn't like it. He is scared of short car journeys.

Also I worry that he is daft enough to attack spiders, snakes and anything else that has a nasty bite. I don't think he would adjust well to the heat either.

After alot of consideration ( the money thing did not put me off Boris is worth every penny ) and a month in Sri Lanka and the cat at my fathers (content and happy) I have decided to let my father adopt him. At least I know he is going to a good home and yes I will miss him but like my husband pointed out just think how many cats/dogs I can rescue in Melbourne for the money I would've spent transporting Boris.

I agree animals are for life and if my father did not love him as much as me then he would be going to Oz.

Jo
Old Mar 27th 2003, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pickletheplacid
I'm trying to picture two Great Danes welded together.......
She's small, she only weighs 14 1/2 stone. Our big boy who died a few years ago was 18 1/2 stome and nearly 7 feet long. His uncle still holds the world record for the largest dog at 22 1/2 stone. Just luckly I am not taking him.

How well did you do the bed/ wall test, did you just call him to turn round of did you offer him food to turn round - you know these mogies if they want to REALLY do something they do it.
She follows the wife anywhere, put the bed into the corner the right width with a board to stop the dog going onto the bed, the wife goes over the board and as I am in the way beind the dog it has to turn round in the available space.

Ian
Old Mar 27th 2003, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

we are taking our little mongrel, weve not gone with the cheapest, which was james cargo, we are going with air pets oceanic, any body got any complaints after using them??
Old Mar 27th 2003, 6:41 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

I'm pigeon shooting with Buttsniffer tomorrow.If any one wants me to arrange a "little accident" for their dogs,I'll be in t'top field

BB-caring,sharing migrant to be
Old Mar 27th 2003, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

MEANIE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.