Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping - Cubic Feet/Cost Question

Shipping - Cubic Feet/Cost Question

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Default Shipping - Cubic Feet/Cost Question

My original plan was to sell up and make the move to Oz with next to nothing and just ship over around 20 boxes of personal belongings and junk but now I’m having doubts - One online quote for the boxes 10 x Tea Chest and 10 x Book Boxes came in at £790 all inclusive

BUT… I have walked around my flat writing down everything that would be worth taking (see list below) and then adding up the value/replacement cost of it all. I have found the total value to be approx £5000 (not including the contents of the boxes)

Most of the items are new(ish) and in good condition but even if I sold them I would be lucky to get half of what I paid for them and then I would have to re-buy them in Oz.

The problem I am having now is working out how much it would cost to ship the below items over so I can compare cost before making a final decision. I know I wouldn’t need a full container but I don’t know how to work out roughly how many cubic feet I would need and how to work out the cost from there

I have guessed approx 20 boxes but then some of the below items i.e. printer, dvd player and microwave could fit into those meaning I would need even less room

Is there a way to work it out? Or has anyone sent over a similar amount and remember the cubic feet?

Living room
Three seater leather settee
Two seater leather settee
Small solid pine sideboard (two doors + two drawers)
Solid pine TV stand
38’ TV (new flat screen type)
1 x black leather swivel chair (similar to chair on Mastermind)

Kitchen
Washing machine
Dryer
Chest freezer (slim line style)
Ironing board
Hoover
Microwave
George Foreman grilling machine

Sons bedroom
28’ TV (new flat screen type)
Black glass TV stand
PS3
PC (with slim TFT monitor)
Safe (small but heavy)
Tall wire DVD rack

My Bedroom
Printer
Solid pine Desk (large and matches living room furniture)
Headboard
Computer desk chair
4 x pine drawers
20+ large heavy university text books
Laptop

Extras
Small wooden garden table + 2 chairs (all fold flat)
5ft Christmas tree (boxed)
BMX Bike
20 boxes in total (10 Tea chest and 10 book boxes)

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:39 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping - Cubic Feet/Cost Question

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe
My original plan was to sell up and make the move to Oz with next to nothing and just ship over around 20 boxes of personal belongings and junk but now I’m having doubts - One online quote for the boxes 10 x Tea Chest and 10 x Book Boxes came in at £790 all inclusive

BUT… I have walked around my flat writing down everything that would be worth taking (see list below) and then adding up the value/replacement cost of it all. I have found the total value to be approx £5000 (not including the contents of the boxes)

Most of the items are new(ish) and in good condition but even if I sold them I would be lucky to get half of what I paid for them and then I would have to re-buy them in Oz.

The problem I am having now is working out how much it would cost to ship the below items over so I can compare cost before making a final decision. I know I wouldn’t need a full container but I don’t know how to work out roughly how many cubic feet I would need and how to work out the cost from there

I have guessed approx 20 boxes but then some of the below items i.e. printer, dvd player and microwave could fit into those meaning I would need even less room

Is there a way to work it out? Or has anyone sent over a similar amount and remember the cubic feet?

Living room
Three seater leather settee
Two seater leather settee
Small solid pine sideboard (two doors + two drawers)
Solid pine TV stand
38’ TV (new flat screen type)
1 x black leather swivel chair (similar to chair on Mastermind)

Kitchen
Washing machine
Dryer
Chest freezer (slim line style)
Ironing board
Hoover
Microwave
George Foreman grilling machine

Sons bedroom
28’ TV (new flat screen type)
Black glass TV stand
PS3
Safe (small but heavy)
Tall wire DVD rack

My Bedroom
Printer
Solid pine Desk (large and matches living room furniture)
Headboard
Computer desk chair
4 x pine drawers
20+ large heavy university text books
Laptop

Extras
Small wooden garden table + 2 chairs (all fold flat)
5ft Christmas tree (boxed)
BMX Bike
20 boxes in total (10 Tea chest and 10 book boxes)

Thanks in advance
Now remember i have not seen the dimensions of your furniture, so i am relying on my experience with British/ European furniture'
I estimate you have 12.5 cumtrs or 450 cuft this is a about 1/3 of a 20ft shipping container..........................mm
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:05 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Shipping - Cubic Feet/Cost Question

If you go on John Mason site you can click on the objects and find out how much each one is. i know a 3st sofa is approx £200 and a washing machine is £55.