Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Costs and Companies

Shipping Costs and Companies

Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Shipping Costs and Companies

Hi all,

Sorry if I am repeating but I am hoping I can get some simple information all in one thread concering shipping as we are moving in under 5 weeks!

1) Where did you ship from and to (we are moving from Surrey to Perth)?
2) How much were you shipping and how much were you quoted by different companies?
3) Who did you use?
4) would you recommend them or would you avoid?

We have been quoted around £3,800 for a 20ft container and have PSS coming on Monday to give us a quote.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Costs and Companies

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi all,

Sorry if I am repeating but I am hoping I can get some simple information all in one thread concering shipping as we are moving in under 5 weeks!

2) How much were you shipping and how much were you quoted by different companies?
3) Who did you use?

We have been quoted around £3,800 for a 20ft container and have PSS coming on Monday to give us a quote.

Thanks in advance.
We shipped from Poole - Perth and uses Allied Pickfords. We used a shared 20ft container and cost approx £2200 including their insurance. They were the only company that had the decency to reply to our calls and emails so we used them. The price they gave us was what we were expecting to pay. Must say we couldn't fault their service, the packing teams in the Uk and here were great, we would definitely reccomend the ones that packed our stuff

Good Luck

John
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

3) Who did you use?

Thanks in advance.
We paid for a 20ft container sole use in June 2005 and it cost us 3300 + insurance, total was around the 3800 pounds mark. We used PSS and cannot fault them.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

3) Who did you use?

Thanks in advance.
IMO avoid John Masons like the plague! See this thread for further info: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=john+masons
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
We paid for a 20ft container sole use in June 2005 and it cost us 3300 + insurance, total was around the 3800 pounds mark. We used PSS and cannot fault them.
Just waiting for PSS to come back to me with final quote but reckon around £3,500 for 20ft container.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Hi all,

3) Who did you use?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
We had PSS round last week and are going with them. They quoted for shared container and 20 foot. 20foot was £3070, approx!!
Shared container as we arent taking much was £2700 approx. That would alter as w would pay for the space we used.
Brittania were very steep, £4100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for 20 foot.
It pays to get quotes from a few, All the best J and J
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jackie barden
Hi,
We had PSS round last week and are going with them. They quoted for shared container and 20 foot. 20foot was £3070, approx!!
Shared container as we arent taking much was £2700 approx. That would alter as w would pay for the space we used.
Brittania were very steep, £4100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for 20 foot.
It pays to get quotes from a few, All the best J and J
Hi,

We moved from South Wales to Melbourne, used Pickfords, £5600 for 40 ft container.

No problems so far (still unpacking).
One thing I hadn't considered - you get charged more this end if it's more than a certian distance from drive to house and/or more than 15 steps.

Problem is, when you're looking at rentals, the priority is clean and available.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,

3) Who did you use?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
We are getting 5 quotes from Allied Pickfords, PSS, Anglia Pacific, Crown and another which i cannot remember off hand, so far had three back which are all quite similar of £3600 to 3950 for a sole use 20ft container. Insurence varies from 2.7% to 3% of total value, although one has an excess on it of ~£250 while the others have no excess. Somewhere here someone has posted a list of questions to ask when you get them in for quotes... it is a good thing to read first.
One company aslo has a limitation of when the insurence is valid for of 30 days after entry into Aus, i think it is better to go for one that is say a week after they deliver.
We are going to Perth and Allied Pickfords look good as they have a branch in Perth so do not use other companies that they can blame for cockups..

Good luck
Old Feb 27th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrispy
Hi,
We are getting 5 quotes from Allied Pickfords, PSS, Anglia Pacific, Crown and another which i cannot remember off hand, so far had three back which are all quite similar of £3600 to 3950 for a sole use 20ft container. Insurence varies from 2.7% to 3% of total value, although one has an excess on it of ~£250 while the others have no excess. Somewhere here someone has posted a list of questions to ask when you get them in for quotes... it is a good thing to read first.
One company aslo has a limitation of when the insurence is valid for of 30 days after entry into Aus, i think it is better to go for one that is say a week after they deliver.
We are going to Perth and Allied Pickfords look good as they have a branch in Perth so do not use other companies that they can blame for cockups..

Good luck
Has anyone used Doree Bonner. They seem expensive just by talking on the phone but going to get a quote anyhow.