Shipping costs

Old Jul 3rd 2006, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice
Default Shipping costs

We have had a quote from John Masons for sole use of a 40ft container. The cost is 5,988.00 How does this compare to quotes for 40ft containers ?
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 10:46 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping costs

Originally Posted by pogsy
We have had a quote from John Masons for sole use of a 40ft container. The cost is 5,988.00 How does this compare to quotes for 40ft containers ?
Well funny enough I got the cheapest quote today.. for 3990.00 and that was for a 40 ft container, the same company is also able to deal with pets...and quoted me a separate 2100.00 for our Bullmastiff.

This is their website, I am curious as to whether anyone here has used them?

http://www.jamescargo.com/index.php

Old Jul 3rd 2006, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by utopia
Well funny enough I got the cheapest quote today.. for 3990.00 and that was for a 40 ft container, the same company is also able to deal with pets...and quoted me a separate 2100.00 for our Bullmastiff.

This is their website, I am curious as to whether anyone here has used them?

http://www.jamescargo.com/index.php

Hi Utopia,
Dont suppose you know what the total cubic feet of your belongings was ?. Our quote was not to exceed 1680 cubic feet which means we will have some space left in the container but to much stuff for the 20ft cont. I guess they charge for the amont of packing up they have to do but your quote is a hell of a lot cheaper. Dont know about the dog shipping, we are using Ryslip Kennels which is near us for our Springer.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 11:01 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Utopia,
Dont suppose you know what the total cubic feet of your belongings was ?. Our quote was not to exceed 1680 cubic feet which means we will have some space left in the container but to much stuff for the 20ft cont. I guess they charge for the amont of packing up they have to do but your quote is a hell of a lot cheaper. Dont know about the dog shipping, we are using Ryslip Kennels which is near us for our Springer.
Well guess what James Cargo is based in Colnbrook... might be closer to you than Ruislip.

I don't know if they are any good however.....The problem we have is if we decide to take the car, which is what I told them we are doing, it doesn't leave enough space in a 20ft Container..so we will need more space for the furniture...hence why they suggested a 40ft.

They haven't come over yet and had a look and the stuff we want to ship, but gave me this quote on the assumption I would be taking the Car.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 12:23 am
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

We are having a 20ft container and it comes on friday :scared: (so much still to do!!!!).

I reckon your quote is ok-ish considering ours for the 20ft was £3480.

HTH

xRachx
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:35 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Shipping costs

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Hi.

We are having a 20ft container and it comes on friday :scared: (so much still to do!!!!).

I reckon your quote is ok-ish considering ours for the 20ft was £3480.

HTH

xRachx
Perhaps you could put who you are using as this is what the OP wants to know.

We too are getting quotes at the moment and from Hampshire to Cairns Pickfords have quoted £4500 for a 20ft container. Works out a bit more expensive as the last part of its journey is rail freight!

Although he did say once you have more quotes to let him know and he will see what he can do!

R.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:28 am
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
Perhaps you could put who you are using as this is what the OP wants to know.
We are using Masons too
Old Jul 4th 2006, 9:00 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful when doing like for like comparisons. Reason being not all shipping companies use the same ships/ports/shipping routes.

My advice is too make sure they are using Masrk and dont fall for the "well they are just as reliable" because there is a big difference in quality and deliverables.

You will see in some threads people waiting 12 to 16 weeks while their container crosses the pacific via the panama canal. While others take 5 weeks from UK to Oz.

Kiwi
Old Jul 4th 2006, 9:12 am
Can't wait!

OK update, just got of the phone to the Company.
The reason Our quote was so low, is due to the following, :

*Pack everything ourselves... we have to buy our own boxes etc....
*Load everything onto the Container Ourselves
*If we require the help of their Staff to help us load the Container.
It would cost an additional ....35.00 per person, per hour. :scared:
(Not including hidden charges... I bet)

I am getting a detailed quote via email in a few hours, so I will let your'll know what 3990.00 actually covers.

But to be honest... 3990 for a 40ft Container is still very cheap.
And the bonus of packing everything yourself would be the benefit of knowing exactly where everything is. As well as if things have been packed safely.

The downside is the fact that if you are in my situation, where help is minimal... (not anyone around to help me or my OH to do it all) Dealing with a 1 year old and 3 year old this sort of move might be more hassle than its worth.

Now the decision is whether the saving of 2.000 pounds warrants the hassle involved.

Last edited by utopia; Jul 4th 2006 at 9:16 am.