British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Shipping cost (GREAT) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/shipping-cost-great-311181/)

cypry Jun 29th 2005 4:27 pm

Shipping cost (GREAT)

Our local removal company who are highly regarded have quoted us £2950.00
for a whole container.... They come to the house pack everything up in boxes
load it... Then do the same at the other end... I don't have to lift a finger.... Well maybe to point out whats going where.... I think its a great price.. But maybe I'm wrong ...... Any thoughts?

karenjc Jun 29th 2005 4:40 pm

Re: Shipping cost (GREAT)

IF ti incorparates the charges on the other side i think its a great price. Here comes the nosey bit who is the shipper

scooterpom Jun 29th 2005 4:51 pm

I have a theory about local vs national shipping companies. We had three in to quote, 2 national companies and 1 local.

The local company (apparently they like to move the clergy..hint hint) were quite a lot cheaper than the other two (one of which thinks it is a royal relocator).

My theory is that as they have to take 2-3 days to pack the stuff, the national company have to pay for travel, expenses and accomodation for 2-4 removal blokes whereas, at the end of the day for the local guys they chip off home to watch Eastenders and argue with 'er indoors':rolleyes:

The cost for the accomodation etc. all has to be paid for somewhere....guess who's paying???

Just a thought.....

Cheers
Scooterpom.

cypry Jun 29th 2005 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by karenjc
IF ti incorparates the charges on the other side i think its a great price. Here comes the nosey bit who is the shipper

All charges are included.... apart from a local fumigation fee which is paid locally (Oz $'s)
Company is Luxfords In Weybridge, probably a bit far from you :(
Scooterpom.... Your theory makes a lot of sense

68MEVY Jun 29th 2005 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by cypry
load it... Then do the same at the other end... I don't have to lift a finger.... Well maybe to point out whats going where.... I think its a great price.. But maybe I'm wrong ...... Any thoughts?

Hi, good quote. We're also going to use a local firm, Freightworld, based here in Sheffield. £2545 door to door but we have to pay any quarantine charges in Oz. We are also packing ourselves but it only cost an additional £335 for them to do it.

The only thing I'd do is start a thread asking if anyone has used the company to see what feed back (if any) you get from others that might of used them in the past.
We were originally going to go with Eagle, but after asking about them on here decided not to due to some bad comments and photos, so I posted asking about Freightworld and I think I only got 1 reply from someone who had used the same one, but it was all good.

Marie

chatty34 Jun 29th 2005 7:42 pm

Hope you dont mind me being nosey but your local company would be our local company too as we are only up the road from Walton, can you please let me have their details as that sounds good. I have had 2 quotes this week, EMSHansard £2954.00 for our own container and a quote of £3500 from Excess International to share a 40ft Container. So although one of these is pretty close, would still be interested in having a chat with a a local company.
Thanks

cypry Jun 29th 2005 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Hope you dont mind me being nosey but your local company would be our local company too as we are only up the road from Walton, can you please let me have their details as that sounds good. I have had 2 quotes this week, EMSHansard £2954.00 for our own container and a quote of £3500 from Excess International to share a 40ft Container. So although one of these is pretty close, would still be interested in having a chat with a a local company.
Thanks

Hi .... No problem.... probably get all their details from web site www.luxfords.co.uk EMSHansard sound quite competitive.... Just looked at details 3,500lb 20ft container, includes packaging and materials,wrapping and loading container and freight charges,normal customs clearance, on carriage to residence unload, unpack and setup, packing and debris removed
Good luck :)

Pollyana Jun 29th 2005 9:51 pm

Just check who the actual shipping is with - I used a local firm, they then subcontracted to ***** ******** for the actual shipping, which was a nightmare as AP wouldn't talk to me. Got very complicated and became a longdrawn out fiasco.
If doing it again (god forbid) I would make sure of using a company that did all the shipping themselves.

chatty34 Jun 30th 2005 8:53 am

Hi .... No problem.... probably get all their details from web site www.luxfords.co.uk EMSHansard sound quite competitive.... Just looked at details 3,500lb 20ft container, includes packaging and materials,wrapping and loading container and freight charges,normal customs clearance, on carriage to residence unload, unpack and setup, packing and debris removed
Good luck :)

Thanks for that, they are coming round next Thursday, certainly the initial telephone call was very helpful and informative.
I did ask if they do Sub-Contract and their answer was yes if they are very busy and this summer they are very busy, but also pointed out that they would only use companies well known to themselves as the work would be in their name and their reputation at stake. They have been around since 1860 so hopefully that counts for something.
It's minefield isn't it :eek:

Sharon

Pollyana Jun 30th 2005 9:05 am

Certainly a minefield!
ALS told me, when I asked why they were using ***** ********, that they were always happy about APs service, and made a similar comment about how the performance of AP had to match their own or it would affect their reputation.

I later discovered that the performance of both companies DID match - they were equally useless, and there was no way that AP could have made ALS's reputation any worse than their own incompetencies did!

chatty34 Jun 30th 2005 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Certainly a minefield!
ALS told me, when I asked why they were using ***** ********, that they were always happy about APs service, and made a similar comment about how the performance of AP had to match their own or it would affect their reputation.

I later discovered that the performance of both companies DID match - they were equally useless, and there was no way that AP could have made ALS's reputation any worse than their own incompetencies did!

I wish now that I had asked them if this was one of the companies that they use, I will certainly ask them next week and if it is then I will give them a miss.
Actually I forgot to mention that they did say that you are welcome to stipulate that you will not accept anyone else apart from themselves.
Thanks,
Sharon

cypry Jun 30th 2005 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
I wish now that I had asked them if this was one of the companies that they use, I will certainly ask them next week and if it is then I will give them a miss.
Actually I forgot to mention that they did say that you are welcome to stipulate that you will not accept anyone else apart from themselves.
Thanks,
Sharon

Let me know too if they use APacific too
Thanks Sharon