Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping companys

Shipping companys

Old May 22nd 2003, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ianha77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MaggieLou
hi, I know it may seem a daft question, but just how much can you get in a 20-ft container? ie is that approx 2 bed terraced/3 bed semi/4 bed detatched etc.
are you able to gicve me an idea?
We are taking most the contents of our 3 bed semi. wardrobes, beds, Sofa's dining table and chairs, Washing machine, dinner service, ornaments blah blah etc etc etc. Plus all our daughters toys (taking up most of the space)
We have been quoted a 20 ft container with room to spare.
Old May 22nd 2003, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute

hi, I know it may seem a daft question, but just how much can you get in a 20-ft container? ie is that approx 2 bed terraced/3 bed semi/4 bed detatched etc.

Hi,

I'm not sure how much you can get in a 20ft container, but my Hubby assures me we can get our stuff in!!! But, we arent taking everything(just the following to give you an idea!)

3 pc suite
2 beds/& 1 cot
dining table & 6 chairs
3 pc of Gym equipment
3 bikes
some woodworking tools (incl. band saw ,lathe, bench!!)
few boxes of ornaments/books etc
computer!!!

And basically that is it give or take a bit!!!

We already have a furnished house out in Florida so dont need to take everything!

Hope that helps

Sue
Old May 22nd 2003, 8:28 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

i can give you an idea using our interstate removals,,,,most modern aussie homes are 4bed detached[using your lingo,when i lived in england they called them bungalows] this equates with a family of four [2adults'2kid s 7&9 gets worse with teenagers]to on average 45cu mtrs,roughly1575 cu ft, the containers for over sea,s work are 33-35 cu mtrs, so for said amount you would need plus packing one and a third conts,,,,,.................or one 40ft cont 70cu mtrs, 2450cuft........................
Old May 22nd 2003, 9:10 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

20 ft container tight
2 x double beds
2 x single beds
table and 8 chairs
two settees
coffee table glass with under tables
two double wardrobes
2 x ottomans
2 x chairs
3 tv 3 videos 2 complete computer
sideboard
2 dressers
corner cupboard
swivel stool
3 bedside cabinets
1 desk with side drawers
1 folding 6 ft table
fridge freezer, fridge x 2 vacuum cleaners x 2
wash m/c tumble dryer ironing board and 2 irons
microwave 200 hardback books 150 paperbacks
40 videos and various photo albums
loads of ornaments
14 dozen various crystal and glasses
usual kitchenware plus dinner/tea service for 12 with all toureens etc. all bedding, towels, linen box 4 x underbed pine boxes, equivalent of 5 washing machines of colin's tools etc.
exercise machine 2 x step ladders all cutlery and cooking implements. various vases. 5ft pottery jar pedestal fan
usual kitchen electric bits and bobs 4 cases of clothes
2 bikes

all 6 companies quoted tight 20 ft container.
Old May 22nd 2003, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Nearly reaching decision...John Masons favorite and in delicate negotiation.

One said 40' others said tight 20' but piano has to stay behind.............

Mash...

Originally posted by yafm
20 ft container tight
2 x double beds
2 x single beds
table and 8 chairs
two settees
two double wardrobes
2 x ottomans
2 x chairs
sideboard
2 dressers
corner cupboard
swivel stool
3 bedside cabinets
1 desk with side drawers
1 folding 6 ft table
loads of ornaments
usual kitchenware plus dinner/tea service for 12 with all toureens etc. all bedding, towels, linen box 4 x underbed pine boxes, equivalent of 5 washing machines of colin's tools etc.
exercise machine 2 x step ladders all cutlery and cooking implements. various vases. 5ft pottery jar pedestal fan
2 bikes

Old May 23rd 2003, 6:56 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Mash

Masons were the eonly one who in their letter advised they would be willing to match a lower quote. Try also getting permit to use one of the other companies' insurance which are better and cheaper Keep us posted
Old May 23rd 2003, 8:53 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

20 ft container tight
2 x double beds
2 x single beds
table and 8 chairs
two settees
two double wardrobes
2 x ottomans
2 x chairs
sideboard
2 dressers
corner cupboard
swivel stool
3 bedside cabinets
1 desk with side drawers
1 folding 6 ft table
loads of ornaments
2 bikes

did they bomb {pack the double robes or send them m/t} did you m/t the bags from the vacuum cleaners , was the micro-wave plate packed ? did they put dry tea bags in the fridge freezers{this acts as a dessicant}who,s handling your shipment this side of the pond?bikes nice and clean ? good luck.............MM
Old May 23rd 2003, 9:52 am
tia
Forum Regular

tia is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been advised not to take our wardrobes as a lot of the properties have walk in robes in oz.Idont want to sell them as i wont get back what i paid for them!as anyone had the same advice......
Old May 23rd 2003, 10:03 am
Banned

Originally posted by tia
We have been advised not to take our wardrobes as a lot of the properties have walk in robes in oz.Idont want to sell them as i wont get back what i paid for them!as anyone had the same advice......
Yes tia lost track of how many wardrobes i,ve put in garages only to see them wasted ,most modern homes here have built in,s.........MM
Old May 23rd 2003, 10:13 am
too busy to work members

Originally posted by mr mover
did they bomb {pack the double robes or send them m/t} did you m/t the bags from the vacuum cleaners , was the micro-wave plate packed ? did they put dry tea bags in the fridge freezers{this acts as a dessicant}who,s handling your shipment this side of the pond?bikes nice and clean ? good luck.............MM

am plannning to stuff the wardrobes with duvets etc. drwers with linen microwave plate will be separated (as I have a spare also) the ta bags sound good I was hoping they would put silica gell bags in but in case they don't in the space left after I have packed the fridges withempty tupperware etc. I shall put tea bags thanks Bikes will be claned and sprayed with jeyes fluid I am (I think as this time) going with PSS with are handled in NSW by Kent Removals (they also contacted me and sendt me lotsof info and a map.)
Old May 23rd 2003, 10:13 am
tia
Forum Regular

tia is an unknown quantity at this point

My sister whos in perth said the same she said i would have a problem selling them out there or ill end up dumping them....Ho well someones gonna av a bargain then!there solid wood and it took me years to get em..and some one will expect em for next to nothing.....
Old May 23rd 2003, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

am plannning to stuff the wardrobes with duvets etc. drwers with linen microwave plate will be separated (as I have a spare also) the ta bags sound good I was hoping they would put silica gell bags in but in case they don't in the space left after I have packed the fridges withempty tupperware etc. I shall put tea bags thanks Bikes will be claned and sprayed with jeyes fluid I am (I think as this time) going with PSS with are handled in NSW by Kent Removals (they also contacted me and sendt me lotsof info and a map.)
There are special plastic bags you can get for things like duvets, where you can attach an air-dryer i believe to such the air out which results in them shrinking down to nothing.

I've seen them on QVC shooping channel, HTH
Old May 23rd 2003, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
There are special plastic bags you can get for things like duvets, where you can attach an air-dryer i believe to such the air out which results in them shrinking down to nothing.

I've seen them on QVC shooping channel, HTH

Alternatively, you can put them in a bin liner and stick your vacuum nozzle attachment through the bunched end and suck out the air, tie tightly and voila! A bit like blowing up a balloon but in reverse and it saves buying those expensive "special" bags.

I have to start getting quotes soon but I hate having to have everyone come round to quote and poking through my stuff.

Cheers
Wannabe Wallaby
Old May 23rd 2003, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alternatively, you can put them in a bin liner and stick your vacuum nozzle attachment through the bunched end and suck out the air, tie tightly and voila! A bit like blowing up a balloon but in reverse and it saves buying those expensive "special" bags.
I am going to go and try that now. !

UPDATE: Duvet in bin bag, duvet out of bin bag, duvet back in bin bag, scrunch top, grab hoover, not plugged in, duvet out of bin bag, duvet back in bin bag, scrunched, hoover inserted, air sucked out, nothing to tie bag with. Duvet out of bin bag. Duvet back in bin bag, scrunched, hoover, suck, sealed. pleased with myself dumped bag on floor bin bag splits.

Decided to burn duvet and try with pillow.

Last edited by karawara88; May 23rd 2003 at 4:44 pm.
Old May 23rd 2003, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely tea bags constitute food or plant matter in which case we can't bring it in...

or am I being thick?

Mash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.