Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping company on there way and I can't fit everything in my case!

Shipping company on there way and I can't fit everything in my case!

Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:03 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping company on there way and I can't fit everything in my case!

Good morning
I am so tired, we were up until 2am this morning getting everything ready for John Mason shippers. We were told they will be with us between 9-10am. I am really nervous! We have designated one room as a no go area so nothing get packed that shouldn't - just hope my polite note on the door keeps them out! I think we have been really organised and have probably done most of the work for them! Hopefully the tea and biscuits will keep them sweet

Tonight is the dreaded goodbye with OH family, still don't know what to do as they have asked to see him alone. He still wants me to go over and show them that we are strong and united! I don't want to go, I am fed up of them making me feel miserable and ruining everything. Surely I am better going to a friends and spending one of my last nights with someone who cares about me?

We are also confused as to how much luggage we are alllowed to take. We have 4 bags; two huge and two small (were intended as cabin luggage but not anymore). We are allowed 20kg each in the hold and then 7kg carry on, which I presume now goes in the hold beacuse of the restrictions. So does that mean we can have two bags each that total 27kg in the hold and no hand luggage? Can we save some weight and have the total 27kg in one bag for the hold with no hand luggage? I am confused and want the bags sorted as I am sure I will need to take something out and ship it.

Well I will let you know how we get on with John Mason, scary stuff man! :scared:
Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:09 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping company on there way and I can't fit everything in my case!

Surely I am better going to a friends and spending one of my last nights with someone who cares about me?

Probably a good idea. Good luck with the move.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:09 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping company on there way and I can't fit everything in my case!

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Probably a good idea. Good luck with the move.
Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can have a combined weight as long as it isn't over the limit for health and safety reasons. Think thats about 34 kilo.

We've got John Masons next Thursday and no where near ready, safe to say they're going to have a lot to do here!

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:19 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Originally Posted by jothefw
I think you can have a combined weight as long as it isn't over the limit for health and safety reasons. Think thats about 34 kilo.

We've got John Masons next Thursday and no where near ready, safe to say they're going to have a lot to do here!

Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks for helping that question, I am currently trying to get through to Qantas but no luck so far, I can't stand the music !

Will keep you up to date with the shipping, am excited but nervous too! The biggest problem is fitting all my clothes, shoes and tolietries in my bag :scared: I just keep going over the weight. I am probably taking too much and will be regreting it when I am there trying to find a sock at the bottom of my bag!!

Well I am sure I should be doing something so good luck again
Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

I would put it all in the hold. Qantas are a bit flexible with bags. and a couple kilos over wont matter to them. its when its way over then you have problems.
I would also go briefly with your other half and make excuses to leave early - leave him behind as you must dash to bid farewell to some friends. Then you have made the effort and offered a civil farewell. Good luck with everything.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:18 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

The shippers arrived at 10.30am - late!! Two youngish lads, I was expecting two brutes, good job OH is around to help them lift things They seem very nice and are working very hard. We had everything ready for them but it is still taking a long time. My advice is to have things sorted and in piles eg. books etc and they pack it like that then so when you get to the other end it is all organised. Can you tell I am a teacher

They are leaving the computer, TV and sofa until tomorrow which is good and they should be gone by 4 so I have time to have a couple of swift drinks before facing the OH lovely family, ummm make that a bottle or two!

We let you all know what happens tomorrow. One of them just mentioned that the container comes from a different company tomorrow, not them. I was a bit surprised by that but I suppose it wont make any difference.

It is weird, I don't know what to do with myself
Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

..........Are you not eligible for additional baggage as a migrant...........we got 30 kgs each with Malaysian airlines
Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:33 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
..........Are you not eligible for additional baggage as a migrant...........we got 30 kgs each with Malaysian airlines

No Qantas only give additional baggage if you purchase a 'special' migrant fare. We actually booked the flights back in Easter for our reccie but when we needed to change the dates there were no flights on our fare so we postponed them until now and flew with Cathay for our rekkie. Kind of wish we weren't flying with Qantas now as we have had so many charges for changing our flight dates and we don't get any extra baggage, not very good. We are staying in London the night before we fly so hoping tocheck in early and try and at least get some reasonable seats. Iam 5.11 and OH is 6.2 so flying is not much fun

Good luck with your move.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Malaysian no longer give the extra allowance these days.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Have just come back from US and Oz. (Yesterday)

Hand luggage fine - just no liquids.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:38 pm
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vernons
No Qantas only give additional baggage if you purchase a 'special' migrant fare. We actually booked the flights back in Easter for our reccie but when we needed to change the dates there were no flights on our fare so we postponed them until now and flew with Cathay for our rekkie. Kind of wish we weren't flying with Qantas now as we have had so many charges for changing our flight dates and we don't get any extra baggage, not very good. We are staying in London the night before we fly so hoping tocheck in early and try and at least get some reasonable seats. Iam 5.11 and OH is 6.2 so flying is not much fun

Good luck with your move.
Good luck with it all,sure you'll be fine.Shame we couldn't quite get together and meet up,would be nice to have said hello before you fly out to Aus,still,think you'll not be too far away on the other side.Best wishes to you and yours.
Mr & Mrs Rugbymad.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

When did you go out ? Think Malaysian have stopped this now, as we are not getting any love on the excess baggage front.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
When did you go out ? Think Malaysian have stopped this now, as we are not getting any love on the excess baggage front.
same here. strict 20kgs and 5kg hand luggage
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Tony & Tina has a brilliant futureTony & Tina has a brilliant futureTony & Tina has a brilliant futureTony & Tina has a brilliant futureTony & Tina has a brilliant futureTony & Tina has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vernons
Good morning
I am so tired, we were up until 2am this morning getting everything ready for John Mason shippers. We were told they will be with us between 9-10am. I am really nervous! We have designated one room as a no go area so nothing get packed that shouldn't - just hope my polite note on the door keeps them out! I think we have been really organised and have probably done most of the work for them! Hopefully the tea and biscuits will keep them sweet

Tonight is the dreaded goodbye with OH family, still don't know what to do as they have asked to see him alone. He still wants me to go over and show them that we are strong and united! I don't want to go, I am fed up of them making me feel miserable and ruining everything. Surely I am better going to a friends and spending one of my last nights with someone who cares about me?

We are also confused as to how much luggage we are alllowed to take. We have 4 bags; two huge and two small (were intended as cabin luggage but not anymore). We are allowed 20kg each in the hold and then 7kg carry on, which I presume now goes in the hold beacuse of the restrictions. So does that mean we can have two bags each that total 27kg in the hold and no hand luggage? Can we save some weight and have the total 27kg in one bag for the hold with no hand luggage? I am confused and want the bags sorted as I am sure I will need to take something out and ship it.

Well I will let you know how we get on with John Mason, scary stuff man! :scared:
Hi

We flew out with Malaysia Airlines on Monday (28th) to Perth. We we're on a 457 Visa and arrived at the airport with a one-way ticket. We were well over the limit with luggage, (5 cases plus hand luggage for 2 daults & 2 Kids) about 12kg in the hold and another 2kg hand luggage. At the check-in I was just asked if I was emigrating, off course we replied yes and didn't get charge excess, good job really as i rang the airline prior, to see if we could use the hand luggage limit as part of the hold baggage, their answer was NO, excess baggage would be charged at £34 per Kilo.

Check-in was a breeze, arrived 4 hrs before take-off, it took us 45 mins to go thru check-in and passport control, I had to take off my shoes and belt, still not allowed any liquids and only one piece of hand luggage, but once thru passport control you can buy and take on board anything.

If you have kids, take books etc to keep them occupied, as our's didn't receive anything from the crew apart from their meals, i have no idea how malaysia got Eco airline of the year award, as we certainly wouldn't rate them, very poor service on both legs.

Hope this helps

Tony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.