Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping company (From Canada to Australia)

Shipping company (From Canada to Australia)

Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:37 am
Just Joined

Havera is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping company (From Canada to Australia)

Could anybody please recommend a shipping company that ships containers from Canada to Australia?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping company (From Canada to Australia)

Originally Posted by Havera
Could anybody please recommend a shipping company that ships containers from Canada to Australia?
We used Allied Pickfords and were very happy. However, most moving companies will have an overseas division. Be sure to get a few quotes before you sign anything, though.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:04 am
Just Joined

Thank You.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

thermojetics is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Havera
Were are you located in Canada?

I am in Toronto and I will move to Australia in November. I found a couple of companies.

http://www.brytor.ca/index.php - this was recommended by someone from this forum.

http://www.intlmovers.com/ - this will automatically send request for quote to moving companies available in your area.

Good luck!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:52 am
Just Joined

I am in Calgary.

Have you got any quotes? I am wondering what would be a reasonable quote for a 20 foot container from Calgary to Brisbane?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

thermojetics is an unknown quantity at this point

You are probably look at ~10k for a 20 foot container.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on the company too, obviously. We just sent boxes in a shared container from Edmonton to Perth as a 20 ft container was too pricey for us...at least $16,000. So, I think our final shipment ended up being about 254 cu ft door-to-door service with comprehensive insurance and it came to $6500 CAD. The company was Starline Overseas. We called quite a few local moving companies but all the overseas quotes got directed back to them, so I figure they must have the corner of the market in Edmonton anyway.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:24 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
I think it depends on the company too, obviously. We just sent boxes in a shared container from Edmonton to Perth as a 20 ft container was too pricey for us...at least $16,000. So, I think our final shipment ended up being about 254 cu ft door-to-door service with comprehensive insurance and it came to $6500 CAD. The company was Starline Overseas. We called quite a few local moving companies but all the overseas quotes got directed back to them, so I figure they must have the corner of the market in Edmonton anyway.
$16000 for a 20'? That's ludicrous! Our 20' from Toronto to Adelaide was less than $10000. That included the customs fees at this end, too.

Personally we found Pickfords had the lowest rate, much lower than Brytor, and since we've used them for a total of 7 moves now they gave us a really good discount on our last 2 moves within Australia.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
$16000 for a 20'? That's ludicrous! Our 20' from Toronto to Adelaide was less than $10000. That included the customs fees at this end, too.

Personally we found Pickfords had the lowest rate, much lower than Brytor, and since we've used them for a total of 7 moves now they gave us a really good discount on our last 2 moves within Australia.
Yeah, that's the quote we got and we thought, well, heck, none of our furniture is worth that much. LOL.

It was strange calling around the different companies and getting put back to the same one all the time...so there must be a monopoly going on or something.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

tomcruise is an unknown quantity at this point

check this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561642
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:18 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tomcruise
More specifically, this is the relevant part of the thread. The one you posted about shipping from Canada:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...44&postcount=6

We were also quoted about $16,000 for a 20 foot container from Fort McMurray, AB to Newcastle, NSW. Needless to say we didn't bother shipping anything since we figured we might only be a few years and a lot of our furniture was crappy stuff that we bought in University, or just after. We replaced all the furniture and essentials here for about the same amount as it would have been to ship our old stuff.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:38 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

North America to Australia domestic removals doesn't seem to be as competitive as UK to Australia, unfortunately.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by comet555
More specifically, this is the relevant part of the thread. The one you posted about shipping from Canada:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...44&postcount=6

We were also quoted about $16,000 for a 20 foot container from Fort McMurray, AB to Newcastle, NSW. Needless to say we didn't bother shipping anything since we figured we might only be a few years and a lot of our furniture was crappy stuff that we bought in University, or just after. We replaced all the furniture and essentials here for about the same amount as it would have been to ship our old stuff.
That's just what we thought as well.

We did get a quote from a "business" online that was about 1/3 to 1/2 less in price, but did not send us a terms of service, or any info about insurance etc. even when we requested it. So, even though my husband was keen to go with them because of the price, the lack of paperwork raised a red flag for me and I thought we'd better go with our other option.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Hi...I've just found this website today.

I'm a Canadian/Australian married to an Aussie. Currently in Canada (Toronto area) planning to move to Townsville QLD. If neither of us get a job.... we'll go in January so our 9yo daughter can start the new school year with all the othes.

I called Allied today and was told that they had no one in the area that could do the move for us. That doesn't make sense to me. I'm hoping that it won't cost too much, we are not going to take a whole lot (like we did when we moved here from OZ 6.5yrs ago). We won't even fill a container I don't think.

Any other ideas on who to get a quote from? And do they need to come out to give a quote?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paularn
Hi...I've just found this website today.

I'm a Canadian/Australian married to an Aussie. Currently in Canada (Toronto area) planning to move to Townsville QLD. If neither of us get a job.... we'll go in January so our 9yo daughter can start the new school year with all the othes.

I called Allied today and was told that they had no one in the area that could do the move for us. That doesn't make sense to me. I'm hoping that it won't cost too much, we are not going to take a whole lot (like we did when we moved here from OZ 6.5yrs ago). We won't even fill a container I don't think.

Any other ideas on who to get a quote from? And do they need to come out to give a quote?
Hi there,

We came from Edmonton, so I'm not sure who's in the Toronto area. I called companies advertising "International" movers in the Yellow Pages. I did do some online quotes as well from the internet but these weren't as satisfactory for me (reason above). Just watch that several local companies might use the same overseas shipper as they did in our area, so that limits your choices. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.