Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping companies average costs?

Shipping companies average costs?

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Dee01 is on a distinguished road
Default Shipping companies average costs?

I have seen a few posts before but can't remember if it was in Immigration etc or the barbie!!!

Anyone have info on quotes, companies etc... is it worth taking my dining suite, sofa etc? or just personal stuff! will take pictures/paintings, photos etc but been pricing up new sofa and d/suite and not so sure now.

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

mark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Shipping companies average costs?

Hi Chippie,

Furniture is quite expensive in Oz...and you will get peanuts for it here..if anything at all.

We have sent over 360 qubic foot of stuff including bed, sofa cabinets etc, plus our personal stuff.

the cost was £1700....we had quotes up to £2,200 for the same.

At £1,700 it was worth the expense as a descent bed would cost the best part of that.

On that note it depends on how good your stuff is !!

Cheers,
Mark
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Our stuff went a couple of weeks ago & we decided not to ship our sofas (a bit worn) or dining chairs. The table has gone as it flat packed & our bed base has gone (again flat packs) but not the mattress, computer table (flat packs) & chair, a chest of draws, bookcase (flat packs) & 2 wooden toy boxes. The kids need new beds as they're both still in toddler beds so we didn't ship them either. We shipped all our kitchen stuff but most of the rest of it was personal belongings - rather a lot of clothes, motorcycle gear (quite a bit of that too), kids toys, my push bike, loads of bedding, more kids toys, books, television, mac, about 5 xboxes, more toys & a couple of games consoles.

We had 2 companies out to quote & they estimated 400 cubic feet at £1980 & 480 cubic foot at £2400. We got the more expensive company to price match as he said he'd probably over estimated on volume. When we got our final volume & price once our stuff had gone it came in at 240 cubic foot at £1500 which we were very happy Whilst the packers were here (lovely guys) they said we were well under 400 cubic feet & gave us a couple of extra boxes to fill with stuff we weren't going to bother with as we thought we'd be close to our limit/budget.

Alison x
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by al150n
Our stuff went a couple of weeks ago & we decided not to ship our sofas (a bit worn) or dining chairs. The table has gone as it flat packed & our bed base has gone (again flat packs) but not the mattress, computer table (flat packs) & chair, a chest of draws, bookcase (flat packs) & 2 wooden toy boxes. The kids need new beds as they're both still in toddler beds so we didn't ship them either. We shipped all our kitchen stuff but most of the rest of it was personal belongings - rather a lot of clothes, motorcycle gear (quite a bit of that too), kids toys, my push bike, loads of bedding, more kids toys, books, television, mac, about 5 xboxes, more toys & a couple of games consoles.

We had 2 companies out to quote & they estimated 400 cubic feet at £1980 & 480 cubic foot at £2400. We got the more expensive company to price match as he said he'd probably over estimated on volume. When we got our final volume & price once our stuff had gone it came in at 240 cubic foot at £1500 which we were very happy Whilst the packers were here (lovely guys) they said we were well under 400 cubic feet & gave us a couple of extra boxes to fill with stuff we weren't going to bother with as we thought we'd be close to our limit/budget.

Alison x

Don't want to cause worry but you might find getting a mattress to fit your UK bed frame a bit difficult. Bed sizes and bedding are different here.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Zimzoe is a jewel in the roughZimzoe is a jewel in the roughZimzoe is a jewel in the roughZimzoe is a jewel in the rough

We brought over the majority of our furniture and are glad we did. We shipped with Robinsons and found them to be adequate but I would highly recommend that you supervise the packing of all electrical equipment no matter who you ship with. My PC was packed in the same box as my printer and was at the bottom of the box without any padding although there was paper between PC and printer. I ended up needing a new wireless card, RAM, video card and motherboard! If there is anything that you have noted down on your customs form that may need to be inspected make sure that it is packed last (easily accessible) and is clearly labelled otherwise you will have a huge problem as customs will be looking for it and may even charge you to x-ray your entire shipment so that they can locate it. Our shipment cost around £6,000 for a 40ft high cube container - I had 4 quotes to choose from and they were the most competitive. I have since had another shipment sent via Pickfords - one of the worst experiences I have ever had with regards to customer service on the Australian end.

Nearly everything is more expensive here although once you know where to shop you can get some bargains but this takes time and effort and is not something you want to worry about when you've just moved here. We brought only some of our white goods but I wish I had brought them all as I sold them for peanuts when I left the UK and had to buy everything again this this end. My advice would be - if you have the space in the container bring them all and expect to dispose of when they no longer work as you probably will not find replaceable parts over here.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

We compared companies and the best we could get was Pickfords at £1,940 for a 400cf. I think they may have gone down further but we settled for Crown who were fantastic throughout the tender.
However, They brought a 530cf van which could not hold the weight (it was like Only Fools and Horses) so they came back this morning!! Now they have gone I realised they left behind a box and one of the drawers (despite wrapping them) but thankfully the likely lads are on the way back to collect them!!
Check where they are coming from because the closer they are to you could mean that they can offer a better deal than someone based at the other side of the Country!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

The_Foulgers will become famous soon enoughThe_Foulgers will become famous soon enough

We've had 5 quotes so far, one more that should arrive Monday and another one to quote. This is what we've ben quoted thus far:
Company shipment size estimate Cost cost per cb ft
Doree Bonner 550 cb ft £2498 £4.54
Excess 686 £3260 £4.75
Anglo Pacific 584 £2895 £4.96
Whites 635 £3099 £4.88
Pickfords 643 £3435 £5.34
PSS Waiting for quote
John Mason Waiting for estimator

Crown over the phone reckoned about £4500

We're taking out good furniture i.e Dining room table and chairs, Sofa, TV and speakers etc, three beds plus matteresses plus our good cutlery and dinner service and glasses and the usual bits and bobs. Probably take machine machine.

Waiting to see what PSS come in with, out of all the estimators that came out were most impressed with the guy from PSS, he was the only one who said you don't have to buy our insurance but we do offer it, whereas all the others worded the insurance info in such a way that it appeared that their own was the only option. He also seemed the most knowlegable as he had not only worked as an estimator but also a packer with the same company and had been with them a long time.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Work on the basis of £450 - £500 per 100qft
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Foulgers
We've had 5 quotes so far, one more that should arrive Monday and another one to quote. This is what we've ben quoted thus far:
Company shipment size estimate Cost cost per cb ft
Doree Bonner 550 cb ft £2498 £4.54
Excess 686 £3260 £4.75
Anglo Pacific 584 £2895 £4.96
Whites 635 £3099 £4.88
Pickfords 643 £3435 £5.34
PSS Waiting for quote
John Mason Waiting for estimator

Crown over the phone reckoned about £4500

We're taking out good furniture i.e Dining room table and chairs, Sofa, TV and speakers etc, three beds plus matteresses plus our good cutlery and dinner service and glasses and the usual bits and bobs. Probably take machine machine.

Waiting to see what PSS come in with, out of all the estimators that came out were most impressed with the guy from PSS, he was the only one who said you don't have to buy our insurance but we do offer it, whereas all the others worded the insurance info in such a way that it appeared that their own was the only option. He also seemed the most knowlegable as he had not only worked as an estimator but also a packer with the same company and had been with them a long time.
Seven quotes! Blimey you are doing your homework, we just had the three.

We were just over £5k with Pickfords for something around 1,000 cft.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

MaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
Work on the basis of £450 - £500 per 100qft
How can I work out how much cubic feet a sofa is ect? (So I get a rough idea) do I times the length by the width by depth?

(Apologies for being a dumbo!)
Old Jul 24th 2010, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Ours went with John Mason - roughly 750 cub ft in a sole container - £3,500 + ins. Having read the posts here, we got two quotes from every company - one for most of the house and one for just special/personal belongings. In the end, it seemed more worthwhile to ship most of the furniture. Though none of it is that fantastic, we felt we had so much to pay out on a start up over here - that this would free us up to spend elsewhere. Also, we feel we can replace furniture gradually when here, at a later date. The one thing we are glad of now, is that we haven't had to furniture shop early on. About the companies though .... we had 5 in all and I do believe that it can be more difficult to choose, the more you have. In the end, three were very similar and I tied myself in knots trying to decide. Good luck in your choice - reckon they are much of a muchness in the end and believe luck (during the delivery etc) has a lot to do with the process!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaCCCa
How can I work out how much cubic feet a sofa is ect? (So I get a rough idea) do I times the length by the width by depth?

(Apologies for being a dumbo!)
Not a dumb question at all. I would have no idea how to estimate how many cubic feet I would need, the shippers asked me what did I think when I first called and really did not have a clue. Still don't other than they told me I had 1,000 cft.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

mark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Macca,

You got it...no flys on you.

Dumbos are ok on here!!!

Love mark
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:15 am
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all

We had 6 quotes and PSS was by far the cheapest at about £3600, however we managed to get them down to £3300 for a 20' sole use. We get packed in September.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Seven quotes! Blimey you are doing your homework, we just had the three.

We were just over £5k with Pickfords for something around 1,000 cft.
Yeah seven quotes!

We got two quotes from recommended shippers. That was more than enough.

It's only money after all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.