Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Companies

Shipping Companies

Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough
Default Shipping Companies

I know there are a range of services that these companies offer in terms of allowing you to pack yourselves or do everything for you. We would prefer them to do it all for us and therefore hopefully relieve us from all that hassle. Should we be boxing everything away prior to them arriving. Having used a removal company in the past to move home in Scotland, they simply lifted clothes from wardrobes and placed them into artificial wardrobes (boxes which you could hang clothes up in). The same goes for all other items such as glasses, plates, crockery etc.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Companies

We used PSS Scotland to Perth this time last year and I have to say that they were excellent. They use Kent Bros at the other end and they were equally as professional. Price was about mid-range and we got a good service for that.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

Did you box all your belongings prior to them loading or did they do this?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Sam_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuart.and.michelle
Did you box all your belongings prior to them loading or did they do this?
Many shipping companies will not provide insurance cover for items you have packed yourself so if you want your items to be insured you may wish to consider this.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

I had heard about this. Thought this would mainly refer to electrical items and furniture. I thought that clothes and wee bits and bobs like my daughters toys would be much easier to pack ourselves. Guess we'll find out from the companies when they come to give us a quote.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

I let them do the lot. They were very quick and efficient and had the whole house packed up and loaded on the truck in one day. The assessor came out and did a survey, we were sent a quote, they answered all my questions and then a time was arranged for the move. I sorted and culled where necessary and then left it to the packers.
They packed each room separately and the boxes were marked as such. This made it a lot easier at the other end. I assume most removal companies work the same way. I had a 40' container but you can get any part of that.
PSS dealt with all the customs at the other end and there was no bother.
It wasn't a whole lot more to have them do all of the packing and I was happy to let them get on with it, knowing that they had the expertise to do a proper job. It also meant that everything was fully covered by insurance.
I am sure you can pack some of the boxes yourself, but I would ask the assessor when he comes for advice on what you can and cannot take. It would be a shame to pack something that got the attention of the customs officers and they decided to go through all the other boxes.