Reload this Page >

Shipping Companies

Shipping Companies

Old Jun 10th 2003, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

chefissac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Companies

Hi all
Having read a previous thread on the bad job done by Avalon, we were wondering if anybody could recommend a decent shipping company. We were thinking of Pickfords; does anybody have any experience with them.

Thanks

Garry and Sandie

Old Jun 10th 2003, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Haven't used Pickford's myself but know someone who did who rated them very highly.

Have heard good things about PPS & Bishop's Move too on this web site.

I used a consultancy firm IRC Ltd, 01452 714932, recommended by our agent,who do the work for you in terms of sending an assessor round to check the stuff you want to ship then recommending several firms who will have sent them a quote and a business profile. You can then choose the firm you like best for whatever reason.
IRC have been very helpful and remain involved even when you've made your choice. I have chosen GB Liners, initial contact has been fine but job not done yet so can't tell you end result!

Can't do any harm to give them a call.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Bella
Haven't used Pickford's myself but know someone who did who rated them very highly.

I used a consultancy firm IRC Ltd, 01452 714932, recommended by our agent,who do the work for you in terms of sending an assessor round to check the stuff you want to ship then recommending several firms who will have sent them a quote and a business profile. You can then choose the firm you like best for whatever reason.
IRC have been very helpful and remain involved even when you've made your choice. I have chosen GB Liners, initial contact has been fine but job not done yet so can't tell you end result!

Hi I used pickfords when i moved to portugal, great at both ends, friendly etc , nothing damaged and i am now off to Mel and using them again, the assessor just been yesterday and was really nice, dont know how much it is costin as our company pays for removals but i would say give them a call...Jan Hutchy
Old Jun 10th 2003, 11:03 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Think you mean PSS, we used them UK - NZ very good.

Paula
Old Jun 11th 2003, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are using Pickfords, not the cheapest but household name use there own people and not contractors plus have offices in Australia so you are not dealing with contract companies if anything should go wrong. Take a look at www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/shipping.php for other shipping company websites.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 1:02 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Bishops Move took 3 months to ship our stuff out. I've only heard good things about Pickfords though.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 5:47 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

just remember, the consultant is not going to move your furniture,they tend to be in bed with certain companys ,so as to maximise their profits, in the same breath the company estimator ,is not loading your goods either, the job you get will rely soley on the talents of the van forman and his crew, remember all companys have their off days............ MM
Old Jun 11th 2003, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shipping Companies

Originally posted by chefissac
Hi all
Having read a previous thread on the bad job done by Avalon, we were wondering if anybody could recommend a decent shipping company. We were thinking of Pickfords; does anybody have any experience with them.

Thanks

Garry and Sandie

Try Anglo Pacific or 1st contact / Execess baggage international. They both have web sites. We have just booked with 1st contact. We dont have a great deal of stuff but 250 sq ft was just over £1000 and only 2.5% insurance cost.

Make sure you get at least three quotes so that you can compare. Some companies may under quote the sq ft ammount which means you can get a shock when they actually pack it and it comes to a lot more than they first said!! Check how much they are charging per sq ft and the insurance percentage. Try searching on this site as i and many others have asked questions about this before.

Good Luck
Pete