Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping chocolate?

shipping chocolate?

Old Sep 24th 2005, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

varsani will become famous soon enough
Default shipping chocolate?

hi, silly question i know , but has anyone shipped any over? and did you think it was a good idea to pack chocolate goodies ( cadburys bars,biscuits,jaffa cakes etc).in a container with the rest of your household goods?

i have been asked by a friend downunder, if i can bring some over but not sure what condition they will arrive in at the other end.

due to nature of question any replies appreciated,serious as well as sarcastic.

regards
varsani
Old Sep 24th 2005, 11:15 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: shipping chocolate?

Originally Posted by varsani
hi, silly question i know , but has anyone shipped any over? and did you think it was a good idea to pack chocolate goodies ( cadburys bars,biscuits,jaffa cakes etc).in a container with the rest of your household goods?

i have been asked by a friend downunder, if i can bring some over but not sure what condition they will arrive in at the other end.

regards
varsani
I think I'd be dubious...I'm not sure what temperature containers are shipped at? Even if the chocolate survived without melting, I can't imagine biscuits would be in great condition after being tossed around on the sea!

Can't your friend buy chocolate and jaffa cakes here? I've seen them in the supermarkets, I'm sure....

No doubt others will have words of wisdom!

Sue
Old Sep 24th 2005, 12:58 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know about the container but i brought 4 large bags of the cadburys funsize packs over with me in our suitcases,apart from getting them in the fridge quickly once we had arrived they were undamaged & yummy

Donna.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You can get Jaffa cakes in some of the supermarkets and there are lots of "English shops" and online companies that supply English chocolate.

If they are in the container, it will need to be in a clearly marked box so AQIS can have a look. Just as easy to send by airmail - my mate does that with some extra special Thorntons every so often, and they are fine.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by varsani

regards
varsani
Hello

If you bring them on the plane they will be fine, just need declaring.

I shipped some chocolate over in the opposite direction, it did not come out well. It was all white and horrible and did not taste edible, I ended up throwing it all out. I would assume that there has been far too much temperature variation to keep the chocolate in a good condition.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 6:46 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice
Smile Re: shipping chocolate?

just post 10kg of it over before you leave should last you a few days

My mum used to post double deckers and cadburys to me..yummo
Old Sep 24th 2005, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Buttercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to all

My mum posted out to me some Hula Hoops ..... and when they arrived the air pressure had popped the bags.. I am over it now.....but it took a while.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 7:34 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

I would have been gutted if that happened. Saying that, some sneaky customs bloke opened one of my parcels and I swear there were a couple of bars of choccie missing!!

Prawn cocktail chips (crisps)...missed them for ages..until I found sweet chilli CC's
Old Sep 24th 2005, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by madsad
Dont know about the container but i brought 4 large bags of the cadburys funsize packs over with me in our suitcases,apart from getting them in the fridge quickly once we had arrived they were undamaged & yummy

Donna.
Does anyone know if you can get Galaxy down under? If not I shall ask friends here to send me out regular shipments by air mail. Otherwise what is Ozzie chocolate like?
Old Sep 24th 2005, 8:47 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia
Does anyone know if you can get Galaxy down under? If not I shall ask friends here to send me out regular shipments by air mail. Otherwise what is Ozzie chocolate like?

Not that I know of..I work in the UK with an Aussie and she had never had it before..she is now addicted to it and sends it back home
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice

You know when you get off the plane, and they have those f**king great big signs, say we will virtually chop your legs off if you bring anything that even looks like food through, and you start getting paranoid after a very long flight and start chucking things like bottled water and frantically searching your pockets for that mint you had. Well the woman behind us in the queue, casually said to the guy ready to tackle us to the ground for the muffin we took off the plane "I have 20 bars of chocolate", and he said "OK" Just wait till next time.

Jane
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:44 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

as long as you tell them what you have they dont have a problem..although I always feel a bit silly declaring food when its just chocolate but better than a big fine..
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia
Yes, its called Dove
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:50 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
Yes, its called Dove
not quite the same though..

Ozzie choc is shite..(ooohhh...maybe I should tell Arkon, thats 2 things I dont like about Oz..)

its only shite if you have plain milk choc cadburys though..they do have a heap more choices in cadburys..my fav being cadburys mousse...yuuuuuuuuuuummo
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:26 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lee/jane
You know when you get off the plane, and they have those f**king great big signs, say we will virtually chop your legs off if you bring anything that even looks like food through, and you start getting paranoid after a very long flight and start chucking things like bottled water and frantically searching your pockets for that mint you had. Well the woman behind us in the queue, casually said to the guy ready to tackle us to the ground for the muffin we took off the plane "I have 20 bars of chocolate", and he said "OK" Just wait till next time.

Jane
I always declare whatever I bring in & they are always cool about it. In my time I have brought in:

* our wedding cake, packed full of fruit (the AQIS people were very sweet, waved us thru while giving fulsome congrats on our marriage)

* big bags of italian coffee (yum, that smells good, said the AQIS lady)

* heaps of UK choccies. & Belgian choccies with fresh cream in (the AQIS bloke said he'd have to confiscate those, then I looked up & saw the grin on his face, as he said, 'but only because they look bloody good', then waved me thru with them)

* Grape Nuts (brekky cereal) - they just ignored those.

* bags of dried apricots - again, they just waved those thru.

One thing they did confiscate, unsurprisingly, was hubby's stilton sandwich. Instead of flnging him into jail for trying to import dangerous goods, they told him that Myers food hall sold that cheese if he wanted to make himself another one!

Anya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.