Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping car from uk to oz

Shipping car from uk to oz

Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Laura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really nice
Default Shipping car from uk to oz

Anyone got any experience of shipping cars over?
Just wondered if its worth our while or whether its going to cost too much?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Shipping car from uk to oz

Hi Laura1888,

The general opinion is that even though cars are expensive down under it is still cheaper than importing one due to the import taxes ect. Have a look at the link below. PS I presume that your from scotland with the 1888 in your name? We stay in Inchinnan.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=1144844

"onyirsell"

Tony.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Laura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping car from uk to oz

hey looking at the link now

yeah we are in Fife. When are you heading out there?

Just bought a car a few months ago then made the decision to go to Oz so now we dont know what to do. Dont want to delay getting out there cos we're still paying a car off but dont want to go and still owe money to the dealer?

Confusing one!! Will look into it. Might be cheaper to get rid of it and but a new one when we get there
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

cant get that link to open
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Laura1888
cant get that link to open
Go to the search button at the top (in the beige toolbar) and type in "import car" and that should bring up the same thing

We have our PR visa and are waiting on our house to sell its only been on the market for 1 month so Im expecting a bit of a wait then we are off to Perth WA.

Defo cheaper to sell your car here and buy another one there unless its a rolls royce or something
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600334

With the £ being so weak against the $ it may not be better selling here and buying in OZ.

Do the sums.

I'll be taking my car as it would cost me double to buy the same thing in OZ.

You have to have owned it for 12 months before moving.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:57 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Laura1888
hey looking at the link now

yeah we are in Fife. When are you heading out there?

Just bought a car a few months ago then made the decision to go to Oz so now we dont know what to do. Dont want to delay getting out there cos we're still paying a car off but dont want to go and still owe money to the dealer?

Confusing one!! Will look into it. Might be cheaper to get rid of it and but a new one when we get there
As stated you must prove ownership and use for the last 12 months before you can bring it to oz as a personal import, but i did pick up in your comments about you having money owed on the car if this is so you must get permission from and person that has a intrest in that car, they might not even let you take the car out of the uk.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 11:26 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of this article that I wrote on the process of importing your car. It's a couple of years old and the regulations vary slightly from State to State, but in general you will find it to be 98% accurate. It includes links to the relevant government departments and regulations including a breakdown of what you have to do.

There is also a link to an MS Excel spreadsheet with instructions on how to calculate a pretty accurate estimate of the real on-road to on-road costs of shipping.

Article: Importing your car from the UK to Australia

Hope this helps

Al
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:00 am
Just Joined

hillfamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Laura,

I am in the process of applying for an import permit for a vehicle and trailer. The paperwork seems quite daunting, but if you break it down into small chunks it can be done. I am in New Zealand but I think the rules are the same.

You must have owned the vehicle for at least 12 months and you have to prove ownership by way of receipts, bills etc. Their processing time is around 20 days.
I have received an email from Infrastructure dept to say that I have to be in Australia and provide a copy of the stamp in my passport before they can issue the permit!! But, this is a bit of a pain as it means I have to leave the vehicle behind in someone elses care and hope that I get my permit!! Then sort out the shipping from Australia.

You will need to check whether this applies if you are coming from the UK.

I arrive in Melbourne in 12 days so fingers crossed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions.

Angela
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:21 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hillfamily
I have received an email from Infrastructure dept to say that I have to be in Australia and provide a copy of the stamp in my passport before they can issue the permit!! But, this is a bit of a pain as it means I have to leave the vehicle behind in someone elses care and hope that I get my permit!! Then sort out the shipping from Australia.
I have never heard of a situation like this happening. Everyone I have ever heard from who has applied for an Approval to Import from DOITRL has had it done via email/post.

What are your circumstances?

Al
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bigAPE
I have never heard of a situation like this happening. Everyone I have ever heard from who has applied for an Approval to Import from DOITRL has had it done via email/post.

What are your circumstances?

Al
big ape

i remember asking about shipping the car over early in our visa process and you said it was a waste of time
what are your thoughts now with the exchange rate as it is .
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:42 am
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
big ape

i remember asking about shipping the car over early in our visa process and you said it was a waste of time
what are your thoughts now with the exchange rate as it is .
It's swings and roundabouts really. Your tax will be "higher" because you have to pay the Australian amount in Sterling but if you sold the car when you got here you would make "more" money. The problem is people rarely sell their import straight away which means in general you would be losing more money because the import duty on the import would cost more sterling for the Aussie amounts.

That said the duty amounts are due to change in 2010 and this will make it a more appealing choice.

Al
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bigAPE
It's swings and roundabouts really. Your tax will be "higher" because you have to pay the Australian amount in Sterling but if you sold the car when you got here you would make "more" money. The problem is people rarely sell their import straight away which means in general you would be losing more money because the import duty on the import would cost more sterling for the Aussie amounts.

That said the duty amounts are due to change in 2010 and this will make it a more appealing choice.

Al
more appealing to import ? and do you know when next year

the only reason i ask about the cars is because of the exchange rate .

i can get a 3 year old bmw x5 / discovery / lexus rx300 and many others for between £15k - £20k with 20000 miles roughly

cannot get anywhere near that sort of car over there for that price and would probably keep the car for a good few years

are they a lot more to insure being an import and are there any other problems that may arise say like parts
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

spence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nice

Just out of interest. Does anybody know the costs involved in taking an Australian car back to Australia?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:37 pm
No Clean Feed

more appealing to import ? and do you know when next year
Duty on Personal Import of vehicles drops from 10% to 5% on 1st January 2010

the only reason i ask about the cars is because of the exchange rate .
As mentioned, it's swings and round abouts, if you're not going to sell it then the exchange rate is going to hurt you. The Duty is in Australian Dollars so you will have to exchange your Sterling to pay for it which at the moment is at a shocking exchange rate.

What will help is the change in Duty (above)

i can get a 3 year old bmw x5 / discovery / lexus rx300 and many others for between £15k - £20k with 20000 miles roughly cannot get anywhere near that sort of car over there for that price
There are plenty of those cars here. If you could give me a specific example I can try to do an estimate and see what it works out like.

are they a lot more to insure being an import and are there any other problems that may arise say like parts
Insurance can be tougher to find if its a marque not sold in Australia, but aside from that shouldn't be an issue. Mine was cheaper than the UK.

Originally Posted by spence501
Just out of interest. Does anybody know the costs involved in taking an Australian car back to Australia?
Same as taking any other car to Australia.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.