Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping a car, Pros & Cons

Shipping a car, Pros & Cons

Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

lindam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping a car, Pros & Cons

Try Transpakship they are pretty good at tellin you what everything costs and seem competitive on shipping 01623441445
Old Aug 28th 2010, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

tartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant future

Here is the total breakdown of my Oz cost prior to compliance and rego. The company that I have used are superb and come highly recommended.

My car is a 2005 BMW 320 Diesel SE Auto. UK value approx £7k

Old Aug 28th 2010, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

I just shipped my Smart car over and am about to go through the compliance and registration business.

Up to now the whole process has cost me about £3000.

Smart Car's here are much rarer. If I sold mine in the UK I would have got about $7500 but to buy the same used one here would have been about $15,000 so shipping mine has been worth it.

Last edited by 77hil; Aug 28th 2010 at 1:29 am.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 6:27 am
Just Joined

TD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tartantopgun
Here is the total breakdown of my Oz cost prior to compliance and rego. The company that I have used are superb and come highly recommended.

My car is a 2005 BMW 320 Diesel SE Auto. UK value approx £7k

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/5...tbreakdown.jpg
Thanks for the info , i will email them and see what the cost for my Lexus will be,do all garages supply Diesel, just a thought ?
Old Aug 28th 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

tartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant future

Yeah pretty much all garages have at least one diesel pump. Noticed Gull station today had diesel the same price as petrol. Good luck and if you want any more info just private message me or stick a post on.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 11:41 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 77hil
I just shipped my Smart car over and am about to go through the compliance and registration business.

Up to now the whole process has cost me about £3000.

Smart Car's here are much rarer. If I sold mine in the UK I would have got about $7500 but to buy the same used one here would have been about $15,000 so shipping mine has been worth it.
SmartCars are everywhere in Aus.

With UK books you car has no resale value. All fair and good if you keep it but when its tiem for sale no one is going to touch it and it will have the value a lot less than an Australian complianced version.

Hence its only worthwhile importing Antique or rare cars.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

With UK books you car has no resale value. All fair and good if you keep it but when its tiem for sale no one is going to touch it and it will have the value a lot less than an Australian complianced version.

You are missing the point. He has a Smart car. He is happy with his Smart car. He wants one in Oz. So he ships it over for 3k. He is not bringing it to sell.

So... UK value + import costs = Less than buying one in Oz. So by shipping it has saved him money.

Do you understand now?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartantopgun
You are missing the point. He has a Smart car. He is happy with his Smart car. He wants one in Oz. So he ships it over for 3k. He is not bringing it to sell.

So... UK value + import costs = Less than buying one in Oz. So by shipping it has saved him money.

Do you understand now?

Exactly why mine is on a ship to arrive soon.

It will still save me a few £1000 to ship it over, and Yes I'm planning to use it for years to come and not sell.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Weebie

Garages and valuers that I've had contact with seem to disagree with you. I've been here two months and seen only 3 Smart cars. Plus selling in the uk and buying another here would have been way more expensive.

In conclusion, I disagree.

Last edited by 77hil; Aug 30th 2010 at 2:10 am.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:32 am
Just Joined

kaishang is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep hearing this "UK cars have no resale value"

If UK cars have no resale value, why can you be asked to cough up A$70,000 for a UK import Maserati if you go to Rick Damelian in Sydney?

Originally Posted by Weebie

Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:35 am
Just Joined

So anyway, if UK cars have "no resale value", I'm thinking of importing what would be in Australia a $110,000 BMW.

What would be a fair sale price if I sold it in Oz? $11.50? Should I pay someone to pick it up?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

So anyway, if UK cars have "no resale value", I'm thinking of importing what would be in Australia a $110,000 BMW.

What would be a fair sale price if I sold it in Oz? $11.50? Should I pay someone to pick it up?
Will give you £12 for it
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:15 am
Just Joined

That's looking good, almost up to a full sit-down lunch price
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaishang

I would be running an m5 for 12 months before shipping it out here.

These are all made in the same m division factory so kind of negates the non-australian delivered argument to some extent.

Would just have to make sure the spec was good as the aus standard inclusions are higher than the Uk (like the prices) Can get a 2006 for 25 grand and under in the UK (so ~ 40k aud) and if you could get a valuation when landed over here of under the LCT threshold you would be laughing - easy money...

stu
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:31 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaishang
I keep hearing this "UK cars have no resale value"

If UK cars have no resale value, why can you be asked to cough up A$70,000 for a UK import Maserati if you go to Rick Damelian in Sydney?
I have never read "no resale value" but a grey import is valued lower when offered for part ex or resale.

A$70k for a Maserati is cheap if I look on carsales.com.au

everything on there is 90k - 335k

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...del_String%7C0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.