Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping a Car (Merc) to Melbourne

Shipping a Car (Merc) to Melbourne

Old Jul 17th 2006, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

trishandchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping a Car (Merc) to Melbourne

I am migrating to Melbourne in Oct 06 and am trying to decide if it is worth shipping my CLK320 Convertable. The Car is worth about £13K in the UK and Web research suggests that the car would cost about $65-75K to replace in Aus. I know that the taxes & Duties can't be assessed until the car reaches Aus and is valued. Having taken advice from various sources I am reckoning on it costing about $9-10K in shiping, GST etc etc. Has anyone shipped a car of this type / value, if so, was it worth it? what did it cost? Also are there any other pitfalls such as parts/servicing availability and costs. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by trishandchris; Jul 17th 2006 at 3:36 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

berndbrot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping a Merc to Melbourne

i think its universally recognised as not worth taking any car over unless its a rarity.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shipping a Car (Merc) to Melbourne

Originally Posted by trishandchris
I am migrating to Melbourne in Oct 06 and am trying to decide if it is worth shipping my CLK320 Convertable. The Car is worth about £13K in the UK and Web research suggests that the car would cost about $65-75K to replace in Aus. I know that the taxes & Duties can't be assessed until the car reaches Aus and is valued. Having taken advice from various sources I am reckoning on it costing about $9-10K in shiping, GST etc etc. Has anyone shipped a car of this type / value, if so, was it worth it? what did it cost? Also are there any other pitfalls such as parts/servicing availability and costs. Any advice would be much appreciated.
We are seriously considering shipping my car as we can't sell it. I have spoken to a couple of shipping companies today nd they have advised that I should go into the following website. Not had chance yet tho.

www.dotars.gov.au

Let me know how you get on.

Debs
Old Jul 17th 2006, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

Ive looked into this with my car worth 17k and found by miles its not worth exporting it, its a subaru WRX STI
Im going to make a new start and buy a ute, a mitsibushi triton, when in rome and all that.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 6:12 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
Ive looked into this with my car worth 17k and found by miles its not worth exporting it, its a subaru WRX STI
Im going to make a new start and buy a ute, a mitsibushi triton, when in rome and all that.
Or you could drive an WRX STI like everybody else in Melbourne
Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

TIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of light

Im taking my car with me looked into it and although hubby didnt want me to take it soon got him on my side .... so the car is coming mini convertible
Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:21 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Try doing a search. There are plenty of threads on the subject and some horror stories too. Contact Australian Customs and Victoria transport dept by email, and they maybe able to give you $value information.