Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping - bringing in alcohol

Shipping - bringing in alcohol

Old May 7th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default Shipping - bringing in alcohol

What's the situation with bringing in bottles of alcohol to Australia in your container? I have 2 bottles of vintage champagne and a bottle of wine left over from our wedding (keeping it for sentimental reasons) that I want to bring into the country. Is this possible if we declare them on the inventory? I'm happy to pay import tax on them (providing it's not a ridiculous amount) - anyone any ideas what the charge would be? If not I'll just have to drink them all now (we've been working our way slowly and steadily through the drinks cabinet to get rid of everything )
Old May 7th 2009, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping - bringing in alcohol

I was laughing when I first read your post, then realised that my youngest was given a bottle of port for his christening to keep for his 18th!! I will wait for someone to tell you for sure, but I'd say 2 bottles is well within the normal duty free limit especially with two of you going. And you have already paid duty on them just in the UK.
Old May 7th 2009, 11:01 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cookiestar
What's the situation with bringing in bottles of alcohol to Australia in your container? I have 2 bottles of vintage champagne and a bottle of wine left over from our wedding (keeping it for sentimental reasons) that I want to bring into the country. Is this possible if we declare them on the inventory? I'm happy to pay import tax on them (providing it's not a ridiculous amount) - anyone any ideas what the charge would be? If not I'll just have to drink them all now (we've been working our way slowly and steadily through the drinks cabinet to get rid of everything )
I brought in three bottles of whisky in my boxes which came over here, I decleared them but did not get charged anything by customs, So I would say it would be OK. But check with your shipping company. I used Sevenseas.
Gary
Old May 7th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Cool. I'll ask the shipping companies when they come round to quote.

It is funny Tubbs. I've had these 2 bottles of champagne (one of Cristal 1996and one of Dom Perignon 1998) for years now. One will possibly be drunk when we get the visa, but I don't want to drink them just for the sake of it. The wedding wine is probably vinegar by now (9 years on) but it's such a pretty bottle and comes from the same region that my dad does - so doubly sentimental.
Old May 7th 2009, 12:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
Cool. I'll ask the shipping companies when they come round to quote.

It is funny Tubbs. I've had these 2 bottles of champagne (one of Cristal 1996and one of Dom Perignon 1998) for years now. One will possibly be drunk when we get the visa, but I don't want to drink them just for the sake of it. The wedding wine is probably vinegar by now (9 years on) but it's such a pretty bottle and comes from the same region that my dad does - so doubly sentimental.
Bring it, declare it, Customs may charge you duty on it but then as long as the bottles are unopened they will allow it in.
Old May 7th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. I was pretty sure it was ok, but then someone else I know mentioned that they had to bin all of their alcohol when they were moving to and from the States. It got me wondering.
Old May 7th 2009, 12:37 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

We brought in a bottle of vodka (a present in a fancy blue bottle) and a bottle of rum we got on our honeymoon. We declared and we charged $25 for each bottle.

Kareena
Old May 7th 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's useful to know. Thanks.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

We brought 2 bottles of port, both Christening gifts, they were declared but not charged for!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

ramlmmjem is on a distinguished road

That's helpful. I've got some malt whiskies which are investments (a couple of bottles are currently going for £200 each on ebay!) so I want to keep them for my pension!

Alistair
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
We brought 2 bottles of port, both Christening gifts, they were declared but not charged for!
Need to point out that my OH says I am incorrect in this & that we were charged duty!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:25 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't you just bring it in with you as your Duty Free Allowance? IIRC it's 2.25l per adult.

We had tons of bottles of spirits leftover from parties I used to host for an internet group I ran, and we brought the decent unopened ones in that way...several times.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ours are getting packed this week by the shippers. I'd rather pay duty on them than take up precious space in hold/hand luggage. I'll declare them on the forms.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:45 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough - we didn't have much of a luggage issue due to repeated trips over.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 3:20 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

We decided to bring over whatever alcohol that we had in our cabinet. We had some fairly good vintage wines, so we thought if we brought them we may as well bring the lot ... which included both opened and unopened bottles of wine, belgian beers, and spirits. Probably about 25 bottles in total.

Once our container arrived in Oz we were contacted and asked to provide accurate estimates on how many milliliters were in each bottle. We had only written 1/2 full, 3/4s full etc on the inventory form. We ended up looking up bottle sizes on the internet so that we could provide the required estimates which really seemed a bit over the top.

We ended up paying a fair bit - can't remember how much, but it was the only item in our 40ft container that they focussed on which we were quite happy about. We had some other items which we were expecting to be challenged on, but we suspect that because we were upfront about the alcohol they spent all their time on that and didn't seem to bother with the rest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.