Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Booze - turns to vinegar!!?

Wikiposts

Shipping Booze - turns to vinegar!!?

Old May 21st 2005, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

SnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shipping Booze - turns to vinegar!!?

Probably meant the drink would taste sour after you have paid all that loveley import duty!!!!
Old May 21st 2005, 10:49 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

My other half's recently taken his beloved and rather pricey Scotch over in his hand luggage as (IIRC) you're allowed 2.25 litres in hand luggage before paying duty.

At least that's what he's told me! I've got another 1.5l i need to take over in my hand luggage next week, so maybe he's just saying that so I won't get nervous! :-)
Old May 21st 2005, 3:19 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Don
Spirits will nearly always survive unscathed, regardless of how hot the container gets.

Wine could turn but even that is very unlikely, the agents are just trying to scare you off in case there's extra work.
Totally agree, speaking as the Voice of Experience. We shipped a large number of crates of sealed and opened bottles of liqueurs, beer, cider, wine etc & the booze was in the container for about 10 weeks, during N Hemisphere summer months. We had to provide a detailed inventory of alcohol strength, country of origin, approx value, % of bottle left etc, and pay customs duty on it when it arrived here (but that was *far* less than the cost of replacement).

No problems with any we have opened so far - it all tasted delicious (and after a few glasses, even more delishush )

BTW travelers coming to Oz can now bring in 2.25 litres of booze per adult duty free. Most large airports here allow you to buy duty free, at good prices, on arrival, so it's easy to buy some more when you get here.

HTH!

Cheers,
Anya.