Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Booze - turns to vinegar!!?

Shipping Booze - turns to vinegar!!?

Old May 18th 2005, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough
Default Shipping Booze - turns to vinegar!!?

Hi, We have a few bottles of wine and champers that we might not get through!! also a few bottles of not yet empty spirits... I don't think we'll actually finish so decided to ship and pay duty if necessary..

I've had a few guys round for quotes, when I mentioned the booze the guy from john Mason said I shouldn't ship it, because it gets so hot in the container by the time it gets there it will be vinegar..

Has anyone else shipped booze, and if so was it ok..!!

Many thanks

Julie
Old May 18th 2005, 1:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Booze - turns to vinegar!!?

Originally Posted by JJJHM
Hi, We have a few bottles of wine and champers that we might not get through!! also a few bottles of not yet empty spirits... I don't think we'll actually finish so decided to ship and pay duty if necessary..

I've had a few guys round for quotes, when I mentioned the booze the guy from john Mason said I shouldn't ship it, because it gets so hot in the container by the time it gets there it will be vinegar..

Many thanks

Julie
Didn't ship any myself, but I think there are people on here who have. Beware import duty if you have a lot of umopened bottles and as for the open ones - they may not get past Quarantine, they allow a lot of stuff in sealed, but not open.
Old May 18th 2005, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

I shouldn't ship it, because it gets so hot in the container by the time it gets there it will be vinegar..

Not sure about that - how does all the Aussie wine make it to Tesco's without turning into vinegar?
Old May 18th 2005, 1:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Found a thread for you

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256092

Andrew63 and Go Bananas seem to have shipped stuff, and they both still post - try a pm to them if they don;t spot the thread
Old May 18th 2005, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

THE THOMSONS will become famous soon enoughTHE THOMSONS will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: Shipping Booze - turns to vinegar!!?

Originally Posted by marco121068
Not sure about that - how does all the Aussie wine make it to Tesco's without turning into vinegar?
Good question Marco. Not really bothered if you can take booze as you get so much of it in Oz, more worrieD whether I can smuggle some Hp and choccies in instead.
Old May 18th 2005, 2:04 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks

Julie
Don't pay for shipping, invite a few peeps around and the lot. That's what I'd do anyway. Not very helpful am I, lol.
Sarah
Old May 18th 2005, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

fair point... will have a go at drinking the lot... in one go, cocktail night coming up me thinks!!! have several liqueur type things to down!!

fab
Old May 18th 2005, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

fair point... will have a go at drinking the lot... in one go, cocktail night coming up me thinks!!! have several liqueur type things to down!!

fab
Are we all invited then?
Old May 18th 2005, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why not!! will have to consult hubby though...!! summer barbie and cocktail party.. ie south coast meet...
Old May 18th 2005, 7:01 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Spirits will nearly always survive unscathed, regardless of how hot the container gets.

Wine could turn but even that is very unlikely, the agents are just trying to scare you off in case there's extra work.
Old May 18th 2005, 10:51 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks

Julie
Julie
I shipped approx. 100 bottle of wine/10 champers unopened, maybe a dozen spirits unopened and maybe another dozen opened.
Shipper declared them as "ornaments" on the paperwork to prevent anyone from trying to steal them during transport (his words and idea).
Of course my container was opened and the usual array of Xmas decs, kids bikes, toys, tools, chopping boards, etc. were quarantined by customs and held for ransom until I decided that they should be cleaned, destroyed or returned. When they asked me to complete the customs dec., I declared 12 bottles of wine and 2 spirits + about $500 of "new" items (closer to $3,000 really) which I paid around $70 duty on (can't remember exact figure).

All wine that I have opened seems OK so far!

Andrew
Old May 19th 2005, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andrew63
Julie
I shipped approx. 100 bottle of wine/10 champers unopened, maybe a dozen spirits unopened and maybe another dozen opened.
Shipper declared them as "ornaments" on the paperwork to prevent anyone from trying to steal them during transport (his words and idea).
Of course my container was opened and the usual array of Xmas decs, kids bikes, toys, tools, chopping boards, etc. were quarantined by customs and held for ransom until I decided that they should be cleaned, destroyed or returned. When they asked me to complete the customs dec., I declared 12 bottles of wine and 2 spirits + about $500 of "new" items (closer to $3,000 really) which I paid around $70 duty on (can't remember exact figure).

All wine that I have opened seems OK so far!

Andrew

Many thanks for that, definately given me something to think about... the shippers I've spoken to don't seem to keen to ship it.. which shipper did you use?

Julie
Old May 19th 2005, 10:46 pm
blossom

Many thanks

Julie
We shipped 3 cases of wine over to Oz back in the 80's and it arrived safely and drinkable! Didn't get caught by customs either.

Blossom

Old May 21st 2005, 9:01 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
containers of wine, can weigh up to 20tonnes, they go to the bottom of the ship were it is cool,household good containers are light and travel up top, in the open............... mm
Old May 21st 2005, 9:20 am
Banned

Hunkyhenry will become famous soon enough

Monns a balloon!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.