Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping bikes....

Wikiposts

Shipping bikes....

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 6:59 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Shipping bikes....

Jus twondering if anyone is...or has...shipped a pushbike? My wife and i both have bikes we want to take.

We are'nt getting a container, just shipping teachests, so i am wondering what to pack them in?

Cheers

Pete.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:05 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Whether you use a container or just send loose boxes the same packing requirements are required. The people who quoted for ushave advised that yu clean the bike (steam clean if possible.) wash over with Jeyes fluid or similar (so the immigration can smell it. Take off the pedals and tie them to the handlebars. Every company supplies a special box for a bicyle and 'bobs your uncle'
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping bikes....

Sorry Pete, can't answer you, but can you tell me the rough dimensions of a teachest?? I haven't seen one since I was about 5yrs old and of course they seemed really big at the time!

Oh, and where can you get them?

Thanks Gra..
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:17 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

The teachest.....just looked it up....its 43x41x60cm

The company thats arranging our shipping got them for us for £2.50 each.

Yafm....thanks for the tip
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:19 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping bikes....

Originally posted by Gra.B
Sorry Pete, can't answer you, but can you tell me the rough dimensions of a teachest?? I haven't seen one since I was about 5yrs old and of course they seemed really big at the time!

Oh, and where can you get them?

Thanks Gra..

Got four in the garden waiting to go to the dump a small dishwasher size
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:20 am
too busy to work members

Sorry just looked out of the window Colin took them to the dump this morning
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by yafm
Sorry just looked out of the window Colin took them to the dump this morning
Nevermind, I must say though - your chest sounds a lot larger than Pete's!

£2.50 ea seems Ok though, I'll look into it nearer the time. Can't decide whether to go for a container or just boxes like you.

Thanks, Gra..
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:54 am
A Male Member

I have to admit.....the boxes ive got sitting up in the loft seem bigger than the dimensions i posted.....
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by PeteY
I have to admit.....the boxes ive got sitting up in the loft seem bigger than the dimensions i posted.....
41cm looks fairly small, but then again I was expecting around a fiver for the larger crates.

They are the old plywood ones I take it?
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:13 am
too busy to work members

Default tea chests

Hi did'nt take them to the dump put them in the garage but the Oz customs may not like them they are WOOD and they get very funny about WOOD fumigation ect may be ok but I would check first.You could try your local scrap man old aluminium food containers are about the same size and are also waterproof with handles and quite cheap. Colin
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:16 am
A Male Member

41cm looks fairly small, but then again I was expecting around a fiver for the larger crates.

They are the old plywood ones I take it?
No they are cardboard.....gonna go measure them later lol! I wanna know now!!
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

No they are cardboard.....gonna go measure them later lol! I wanna know now!!
Oh, I was thinking of the old wooden ones, probably what Colin's got. Talking of boxes, we got some a while back which are 50x50x40 from a recycling firm for a quid each!
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 9:47 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I was thinking of the old wooden ones, probably what Colin's got. Talking of boxes, we got some a while back which are 50x50x40 from a recycling firm for a quid each!
If anyone's interested a company in the village near to me is selling ex military air freight boxes they make excellent tool boxes. They are polished aluminium, handle at each end and have 2 padlockable catches dimentions are L 530mm x W 730mm x H 470 mm they're £30 quid each and he's loads of slightly smaller ones for £25 each
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 9:55 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by cresta57
If anyone's interested a company in the village near to me is selling ex military air freight boxes they make excellent tool boxes. They are polished aluminium, handle at each end and have 2 padlockable catches dimentions are L 530mm x W 730mm x H 470 mm they're £30 quid each and he's loads of slightly smaller ones for £25 each
Good looking boxes....even had the wife interested!!

Shame we can't think of anything we would want to put in em tho!!

Cheers

Pete.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 10:01 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Good looking boxes....even had the wife interested!!

Shame we can't think of anything we would want to put in em tho!!

Cheers

Pete.
I bought 3 Pete, 2 for all my work tools and 1 for stuff we want to keep from the house looks like I'll be back for some more as Deb's keeps on finding stuff we can't do without.:scared: :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.