Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping belongings - anyone not bother with insurance?

Shipping belongings - anyone not bother with insurance?

Old May 30th 2005, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Three P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura about
Question Shipping belongings - anyone not bother with insurance?

After receiving our quotes in for shipping our goods and actually looking at the list of belongings we are seriously wondering whether or not to bother with insurance. We don't own anything that's worth a fortune the only things I would be upset about if they got damaged would be my Wedding/family photos and if they did get damaged it's not as if I would get the day back to photograph it all again. The other thing is that by the time we've paid the insurance and if we do have to claim we would have an excess of about £100 it may not be worth it. Sorry starting to ramble on, just wondering what other people's thoughts are?

Jenny
Old May 30th 2005, 9:05 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping belongings - anyone not bother with insurance?

Originally Posted by Three P's
After receiving our quotes in for shipping our goods and actually looking at the list of belongings we are seriously wondering whether or not to bother with insurance. We don't own anything that's worth a fortune the only things I would be upset about if they got damaged would be my Wedding/family photos and if they did get damaged it's not as if I would get the day back to photograph it all again. The other thing is that by the time we've paid the insurance and if we do have to claim we would have an excess of about £100 it may not be worth it. Sorry starting to ramble on, just wondering what other people's thoughts are?

Jenny
A very big risk not to take insurance. You may not have individual items of value but when you add the whole lot up you will be surprised. What happens if the shipment gets lost or destroyed. Probably want happen but you never know!
Old May 30th 2005, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Jenny
Hi Jenny,
We thought much the same as you! However the shipping guy told us (don't know if its true or not) that if the ship broke down, had to be towed, shipment had to move to another ship etc etc, then the people with stuff on it would all be liable for the costs! So we just insured the lot for a relatively small amount but it gives you peace of mind. Where abouts are you heading?
Pootle
Old May 30th 2005, 10:30 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

We didnt insure either.

There is some arkane rule about shipping...

The way I was advised it worked is that under maritime law, you are 'hiring' the vessel , the vessel isnt 'carrying' your goods... ie - the ship is only going to its destination because you asked it to. Therefore if it sinks, has extra 'material' costs then you are part liable (along with everyone else whose containers are on board). Maritime law is voodoo.

I never looked it up and only found out about this when the stuff was on its way and halfway to Hong Kong. - So worth googling to see if anyone has had to cop it. At the end of the day though you personally are not contracting with the shipping company - you are contracting with PSS or whoever is doing the move for you - so that would be their problem not yours.

Container ships do sink - containers do get damaged - they do leak (occasionally) etc - stuff does get thrown around. You are 'very' likely to lose one or two items to being thrown around, you would be extremely unfortunate indeed to suffer total loss of the container.

Dont listen to removal guys - ring around and make your own decisions.
Old May 30th 2005, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

We have just taken insurance to cover the "total loss" (not the official term, just how we refer to it). We did it through letton percival (do a search and you will find their details) and got 15K's worth of cover for 70 quid. It remains to be seen if it was the right thing to do as we won't get our stuff until mid July.
Old May 31st 2005, 1:06 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

If your wedding photos are th only things you are bothered about, then take themn with you when you fly.....
just a thought.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Three P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys for the replys. After having adding up what it would cost to replace our belongings we are going to take out some insurance and are going to contact Letton Percival as Ben & Pam suggested.

Pootle - Don't know where exactly in Mel we are heading, we are hoping to be out there in early Aug and rent a serviced apartment for a couple of weeks while we get our bearings and look for our first rental!

Jenny
Old Jun 1st 2005, 5:40 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for the replys. After having adding up what it would cost to replace our belongings we are going to take out some insurance and are going to contact Letton Percival as Ben & Pam suggested.

Pootle - Don't know where exactly in Mel we are heading, we are hoping to be out there in early Aug and rent a serviced apartment for a couple of weeks while we get our bearings and look for our first rental!

Jenny
I'm carrying my wedding album (which is in an ivory Italian leather briefcase) as handluggage - no way i'd risk losing all my wedding photo's - did anyone else put their wedding photo album in the shipping container?

Lynn