Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping before flying impossible???

Shipping before flying impossible???

Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:50 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Shipping before flying impossible???

Just had Allied Pickfords out and they inform me that until we are in australia and have a residential address we can't ship our belongings :curse:

We had hoped to ship our stuff 3 weeks or so before we flew so we wouldn't be without for to long. He told me that we would have to pay for storage and then once we move into a property let them have the address and they will ship which will take 7-8 weeks and then who knows how long at customs

Is this the same as everybody elses experience? is there away around it?

Andreaxx
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping before flying impossible???

As far as i know if you can give them an address in Australia (friends, relative) a friend of ours gave her employment agency address then they can ship, this is what i was told by PSS.
Hopefully someone will answer that can tell us for definite.

Sam
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:57 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by acbh2
Just had Allied Pickfords out and they inform me that until we are in australia and have a residential address we can't ship our belongings :curse:

We had hoped to ship our stuff 3 weeks or so before we flew so we wouldn't be without for to long. He told me that we would have to pay for storage and then once we move into a property let them have the address and they will ship which will take 7-8 weeks and then who knows how long at customs

Andreaxx
We had quotes from White and Co, Doree Bonner and Crown, they all said that so long as we are in the country before the container then that is fine, just get in touch with the contact person for the company in Oz once you have landed then to give them the address once you have a rental, all of them also offered free storage in Oz in case we take longer to get a rental.

Tell them you are looking elsewhere, they really should know all this, dont know what they are playing at! Hope this helps a little.
Clairex
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:02 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by belleandscone
We had quotes from White and Co, Doree Bonner and Crown, they all said that so long as we are in the country before the container then that is fine, just get in touch with the contact person for the company in Oz once you have landed then to give them the address once you have a rental, all of them also offered free storage in Oz in case we take longer to get a rental.

Tell them you are looking elsewhere, they really should know all this, dont know what they are playing at! Hope this helps a little.
Clairex
Hi Claire notice your in Livingston just up from us in linlithgow so I need to get the same companies out that you did. I do have crown and Doree Bonner coming next week so fingers crossed. Who did you decide to go with? We only need a 20ft container as we have a very minimalist look I was told by Pickfords When are you going? have you been to any scottish meet ups.

andreaxx

Originally Posted by The Brooks
As far as i know if you can give them an address in Australia (friends, relative) a friend of ours gave her employment agency address then they can ship, this is what i was told by PSS.
Hopefully someone will answer that can tell us for definite.

Sam
Thanks sam unfortunately I don't have any friends or family in Oz as yet

Andreaxx
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

mrs_chrispy will become famous soon enough

Andreaxx
Hi Andrea

We were told by a number of companies (including Allied) that we could provide a residential address for deivery whilst the container was in transit. None of them advised that shipment could not occur until a residential address was provided - we were going to use our work address as a temp address and then advise of a residential address for deluvery once we've found somewhere.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

chrisk8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Andreaxx
Hi Andrea,

They would only need a contact address prior to shipping your belongings. Contact address could be a friend or relative, worst case holiday let would be acceptable but they don't like work addresses.
Ideally you would need to be in the Country when your belongings arrive but as with the contact address a relative could be nominated to receive your belongings provided you had completed the statutory customs form and supplied a copy of your passport and visa.
If your shipping company insist that you can't ship and want to charge you storage try another mover.
Hope this helps.

CK
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mrs_chrispy
Hi Andrea

We were told by a number of companies (including Allied) that we could provide a residential address for deivery whilst the container was in transit. None of them advised that shipment could not occur until a residential address was provided - we were going to use our work address as a temp address and then advise of a residential address for deluvery once we've found somewhere.
It just goes to show doesn't it. He was only here an hour ago. He said up until 2 years ago you were able to do this but now they can't ship without an address :curse: Well think that takes them out of the running for my business. I notice your down south don't know if this has an impact as we are in Scotland. I also told him I wanted the container delivered and not a van where things could go missing before getting to the container and he told me I would have to pay at least £150 per day for the container if it wasn't shipped straight away

Andreaxx
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by chrisk8
Hi Andrea,

They would only need a contact address prior to shipping your belongings. Contact address could be a friend or relative, worst case holiday let would be acceptable but they don't like work addresses.
Ideally you would need to be in the Country when your belongings arrive but as with the contact address a relative could be nominated to receive your belongings provided you had completed the statutory customs form and supplied a copy of your passport and visa.
If your shipping company insist that you can't ship and want to charge you storage try another mover.
Hope this helps.

CK
Thanks CK unfortunately I don't know anybody over in Oz so thats not an option. Never thought about renting a holiday let so can give that address this may work, unless they want a name aswell.

Andreaxx
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

mrs_chrispy will become famous soon enough

It just goes to show doesn't it. He was only here an hour ago. He said up until 2 years ago you were able to do this but now they can't ship without an address :curse: Well think that takes them out of the running for my business. I notice your down south don't know if this has an impact as we are in Scotland. I also told him I wanted the container delivered and not a van where things could go missing before getting to the container and he told me I would have to pay at least £150 per day for the container if it wasn't shipped straight away

Andreaxx
It's frutrating isn't it? Guess we'd better try and find an address other than a work address given some of comments on this thread too!

Best of luck
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:39 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Andrea, as you know our stuff is being packed up in 3 weeks. Doree Bonner are then going to store it for us and arrange for it's arrival in Australia shortly after we arrive.

Originally we were going to ship it immediately and ask a friend to sign for it but it seemed too big an ask.

We've given them our friends' address in Vic but can change that as soon as we know where we're going to be on arrival.

I assume you'll have the same guy out to see you as we had. We're so far, very impressed with the level of service and they came highly recommende to us by very good friends.

Gill
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:43 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Shipping before flying impossible???

[QUOTE=acbh2;4542423]Hi Claire notice your in Livingston just up from us in linlithgow so I need to get the same companies out that you did. I do have crown and Doree Bonner coming next week so fingers crossed. Who did you decide to go with? We only need a 20ft container as we have a very minimalist look I was told by Pickfords When are you going? have you been to any scottish meet ups.

andreaxx

Hi Andrea, We only need half a container but it's still costing us £2300, we went for Crown in the end, their price was the middle one, but with more cubic feet and included the Aqis charge, they are all much of a muchness but felt she gave me more info than the other, but I liked the other reps better - nothing to do with them being male though .

We are going at the end of May now, and we havent made it to any of the meets yet either, but will try if theres one before we go.

Good luck with your quotes.
Clairex
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:00 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

It just goes to show doesn't it. He was only here an hour ago. He said up until 2 years ago you were able to do this but now they can't ship without an address :curse:

we moved from Kirkcaldy to the USA in late 2005 and only had to supply a contact address. They didn't want the final address until the shipping arrived in port and was cleared ready for final delivery. I thought Allied Pickfords were pretty good although (and i'm not pointing any fingers) we did have stuff go missing from when they packed it to us unpacking in the USA (all our PC stuff went:curse: ). Guess its changed or is it just an OZ thing?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by herrchook
Andrea, as you know our stuff is being packed up in 3 weeks. Doree Bonner are then going to store it for us and arrange for it's arrival in Australia shortly after we arrive.

Originally we were going to ship it immediately and ask a friend to sign for it but it seemed too big an ask.

We've given them our friends' address in Vic but can change that as soon as we know where we're going to be on arrival.

I assume you'll have the same guy out to see you as we had. We're so far, very impressed with the level of service and they came highly recommende to us by very good friends.

Gill
Hi Gill,

The ideal thing for us is to also have our stuff shortly after we arrive which is why I was hoping they would ship just 3 weeks before we leave. We do have doree Bonner coming in a week on friday and crown tomorrow so will just have to wait and see what they have to say.

You must be so excited and nervous 3 weeks will be here so quickly and then you'll be in rented until its time to fly. Have to meet up before then for definite.

Andreaxx
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Hi Andrea, We only need half a container but it's still costing us £2300, we went for Crown in the end, their price was the middle one, but with more cubic feet and included the Aqis charge, they are all much of a muchness but felt she gave me more info than the other, but I liked the other reps better - nothing to do with them being male though .

We are going at the end of May now, and we havent made it to any of the meets yet either, but will try if theres one before we go.

Good luck with your quotes.
Clairex
Hi Claire,
I have crown coming out tomorrow so will have to see what they have to say about it all. We were hoping to ship our stuff at the end of may and then fly in june, but we'll have to wait and see. Good luck with it all.

Andreaxx
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul S
we moved from Kirkcaldy to the USA in late 2005 and only had to supply a contact address. They didn't want the final address until the shipping arrived in port and was cleared ready for final delivery. I thought Allied Pickfords were pretty good although (and i'm not pointing any fingers) we did have stuff go missing from when they packed it to us unpacking in the USA (all our PC stuff went:curse: ). Guess its changed or is it just an OZ thing?
It may just be an Oz thing don't really know!! Its hard to tell where your stuff went missing eh it could have been in the UK or there in the USA.

Andrea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.