Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping BBQ and other outside items

Shipping BBQ and other outside items

Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

nimble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping BBQ and other outside items

Hi, Just confirming our shipping arrangements and filling in the customs form and wouldn't mind some advice.....

We have a number of vintage bottles of champagne that we would like to take with us however obviously need to declare on the customs form - are we likely to get charged with duty even though we have already paid duty on it when we brought it? Did anyone else take wine/champagne with them?

The other thing is that my husband is attached fondly to his BBQ and wants to take it however this would mean that it needs to be cleaned. If so, does it need a certificate and is it worth it? Does this also apply to other 'outside' items such as bikes? If they need to be cleaned professionally (with a certificate), any recommendations?

7 weeks to go and already stressed!!!

Thanks Jackie
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping BBQ and other outside items

Originally Posted by nimble
Hi, Just confirming our shipping arrangements and filling in the customs form and wouldn't mind some advice.....

We have a number of vintage bottles of champagne that we would like to take with us however obviously need to declare on the customs form - are we likely to get charged with duty even though we have already paid duty on it when we brought it? Did anyone else take wine/champagne with them?

The other thing is that my husband is attached fondly to his BBQ and wants to take it however this would mean that it needs to be cleaned. If so, does it need a certificate and is it worth it? Does this also apply to other 'outside' items such as bikes? If they need to be cleaned professionally (with a certificate), any recommendations?

Thanks Jackie
Is the barbie gas or charcoal? If it's gas I doubt it will be compatible with gas bottles there. I could be wrong.

I won't be taking mine. I am looking forward to buying a new super duper model there, unless there is a built in one in our MacMansion.

EDIT: Cool username. Jack be nimble.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jan 16th 2010 at 4:22 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Is the barbie gas or charcoal? If it's gas I doubt it will be compatible with gas bottles there. I could be wrong.

I won't be taking mine. I am looking forward to buying a new super duper model there, unless there is a built in one in our MacMansion.
It is gas and I did get my sister in law to check and we think it is compatible.....but he is slowly coming around to thinking about leaving it here!

Originally Posted by Alfresco
EDIT: Cool username. Jack be nimble.
Thats where it came from - the rhyme!!

Jackie
Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Jackie
BBQ will be fine although it may need the hose changed to enable it to fit Aus standards. Definitely bring it - ours was not cleaned any more than usual and customs did not even check it. Not Sure what certificate you mean but nothing is needed - you cannot bring the gas bottle though, remember that. You'll need to give it away as that's what I did.

Alcohol will attract a big duty so be warned. Bring it but expect a big bill so you;d best weigh up the value of it to you and financially.

Everything else like bikes needs a good jet wash since these will be checked.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

If your bringing any outdoor gear its good to give them a clean off with Jeyes Fluid,,
The stuff stinks and if customs do open your container they can smell it straight away and will know you have cleaned and disinfected your stuff.
Don't forget the soles of shoes and trainers, if they want to be picky they will check everything.

Cal x
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:33 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Does this also apply to other 'outside' items such as bikes? If they need to be cleaned professionally (with a certificate), any recommendations?

Thanks Jackie
We had a reasonable wine collection that we were keen to bring. However three problems - one is the duty which you will be charged - this can be many many dollars - and they don't care if you have already paid duty to the uk or french gvt! The next problem is the insurance. We would not be insured for damage if any of the bottles broke during the shipping and spilt over anything else. Finally there is quality - it was not going to do the wine any good to be subject to extremes of temperature for a few weeks.

In the end we had a very pleasant last few weeks, having dinner most nights with a grand cru or two!

On the bikes - and other outdoor stuff, you just need to clean them. A big bottle of "muck off" from the bike shop and a hose!

The Aussies won't care who certifies what is clean - they will look at it and decide themselves - the more you clean it the less likely you are to get a bill for decontamination. Don't forget shoes either!

And on the BBQ - we left ours - you can get much better ones here, and ours was going to be really difficult to clean to the standard they would pass

Good luck
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

I usually advise people to bring everything but I wouldn't bother with your BBQ. You will have to change the hose and regulator and BBQ's here are really cheap compared to the U.K.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
I usually advise people to bring everything but I wouldn't bother with your BBQ. You will have to change the hose and regulator and BBQ's here are really cheap compared to the U.K.
True, but it all depends on what you are looking to bring and how much to spend over here. A decent 4 burner is about $500 plus, whereas if you have a decent stainless steel one (as I had in the UK), the cost fora new hose and regulator was way less than $100.

That said, I made the stupid mistake of bringing my Australian made BB, bought in the UK, back to Aus, but leaving the burners, fat tray etc behind so I could buy new ones here. Only to find out the company I bought it from (or the UK arm), that is based in Melbourne admitted the Aus- BBQ was actually made in China and shipped to the UK and they never saw then and had no parts at all. Ended up dumping the whole thing as could not get the right parts. Small lesson but still did not cost to ship it as we had a container so may as well fill it.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Is there any point in bringing a lawnmower?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Is there any point in bringing a lawnmower?

My petrol mover from B&Q only cost £79 and is a few years old and is obviously filthy with grass and mud in the wheels etc...

Aint no way I'm cleaning and taking that with. I'll just buy new over there.

In fact I'm planning to take much gardening stuff with unless it's in really good condition and easily to clean.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jan 17th 2010 at 9:36 am. Reason: typo
Old Jan 17th 2010, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

i was going to ask about the lawn mower as well

has anyone taken one before as i was going to have mine serviced and cleaned up , was going to tell the shop that if he doesnt think he can get it spotless then not to bother as it wont be worth it
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by slipshot
Not Sure what certificate you mean but nothing is needed - you cannot bring the gas bottle though, remember that. You'll need to give it away as that's what I did.

Alcohol will attract a big duty so be warned. Bring it but expect a big bill so you;d best weigh up the value of it to you and financially.

Everything else like bikes needs a good jet wash since these will be checked.
Shippers mentioned a certificate to prove that it had been cleaned. The more I read the more I think it's not worth the hassle. We also have a patio heater which also was planning to bring for the Melbourne winters! Assume again would need to buy new hoses etc for that?

We are going to hire a jet wash to clean bikes and thats the only outside items we are bringing. Not bothering with gardening stuff and also leaving all our camping gear as I was told that UK tents are not robust enought to keep out critters!

Jackie
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Shippers mentioned a certificate to prove that it had been cleaned. The more I read the more I think it's not worth the hassle. We also have a patio heater which also was planning to bring for the Melbourne winters! Assume again would need to buy new hoses etc for that?

We are going to hire a jet wash to clean bikes and thats the only outside items we are bringing. Not bothering with gardening stuff and also leaving all our camping gear as I was told that UK tents are not robust enought to keep out critters!

Jackie
We looked into camping gear when we were over there last year - the tents are no different to what we have here )we have a fully sewn in groundsheet etc) The tent is brand new not even out of the box, so we are taking it with us.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:58 am
Just Joined

another one......duvets made with goose/duck feathers - anyone had problems with those??? We have to declare that on our customs form and if they need to be treated that would cost us $385!!!

Please tell me its worth shipping all your stuff!! What a headache......

Jackie
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

another one......duvets made with goose/duck feathers - anyone had problems with those??? We have to declare that on our customs form and if they need to be treated that would cost us $385!!!

Please tell me its worth shipping all your stuff!! What a headache......

Jackie
Hi we were told by the guy from Crown Relocations, not to take anything with Feathers, ie Pillows or Duvets.
I know it is a nightmare, the thing is, it is not as that these things are untreated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.