Shipping

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

TheTaylors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping

Hi all

We are moving to SA in later this year. We were planning on using a Sevenseas large movecube but are surprised at how small it is. We will have around 50-70 large boxes, 40ish pictures, large TV, large IMAC screen, a PC, a trunk, 2 bicycles and possibly a large fridge freezer. Has anyone had any experience and thinks that these things will or won't fit into a large cube please?

If we had to go for a half a container, we would then bring another fridge, washing machine and dishwasher and mattresses, book shelves etc.

Really not sure what fits into what so any advice would be very gratefully received. We have been quoted £950ish on the large movecube plus Oz customs costs - anyone got any idea what half a container would cost please?

Many thanks in advance.

Zoe
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

extrobe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping

Hi Zoe, for a half-sized (20ft) container (not sure if that's what you meant by half a container), we've had quotes of £4,000 - this is door-to-door, including packing - but excluding customs clearance fees (we've budgeted an extra £1k for this)

This gives you about 1,000 cubic feet - roughly enough for a 2/3 bed house.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks extrobe. Yes, it was that size I was thinking about. I still think this will be too big for us since we aren't really planning on taking any furniture.

Anyone else had experience of a large movecube and what it might take?

Thanks.

Zoe
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Whilst I can't comment on the movecube itself...
on a previous international move, we didn't really take any furniture either (except 1 double bed) - just general possessions. On that occasion we half-filled a 20ft container - that was for 2 adults & 1 young child.
That's about 500cuft. A large MoveCube is 220cuft - so about 1/4 of a 20ft container.

If you're prudent with what you take, and it's just the 2 of you, it can probably be done. But 50-70 boxes sounds a lot. Our half-filled 20ft container, from memory, was 60-70 packages (a package being anything from a small box to a mattress). You might just get the 50 boxes in, but probably nothing else.

220cuft / 50 = 4.5cuft per box. 1cuft is perhaps 2 large shoeboxes

ETA: Our last move was packed by the removals firm - who were probably more liberal with packing than perhaps you might be packing yourselves, so you may get more in than if professionals were packing.

Last edited by extrobe; Mar 23rd 2017 at 1:19 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by extrobe
Hi Zoe, for a half-sized (20ft) container (not sure if that's what you meant by half a container), we've had quotes of £4,000 - this is door-to-door, including packing - but excluding customs clearance fees (we've budgeted an extra £1k for this)
h
This gives you about 1,000 cubic feet - roughly enough for a 2/3 bed house.
£4000 sounds about right and a good price for 20ft container. 7 years ago cost me £3200 for 3 bed house with Fox moving.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TheTaylors
Hi all

We are moving to SA in later this year. We were planning on using a Sevenseas large movecube but are surprised at how small it is. We will have around 50-70 large boxes, 40ish pictures, large TV, large IMAC screen, a PC, a trunk, 2 bicycles and possibly a large fridge freezer. Has anyone had any experience and thinks that these things will or won't fit into a large cube please?

If we had to go for a half a container, we would then bring another fridge, washing machine and dishwasher and mattresses, book shelves etc.

Really not sure what fits into what so any advice would be very gratefully received. We have been quoted £950ish on the large movecube plus Oz customs costs - anyone got any idea what half a container would cost please?

Many thanks in advance.

Zoe
To be honest I would stick to the cube if it's about £950 if you can squeeze all your personal and essential items into it, not that I know the going rate for a cube. The items you mentioned you would add to a container you just as well buy in OZ because you need them straight away.I realised that when I got there especially when my container was delayed for months. I bought blow up beds and pillows when I just as well bought new beds.Borrowed a small fridge and TV from friends when I could have bought as well. Some rentals may have a dishwasher but that's something you can live without for a while.I would probably sell most of my large furniture if I do it again.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Out of interest garyp, do you know what caused your delay?

We're offloading a fair bit of furniture for exactly the reasons you state - but we're also hoping to minimise opportunities for delays - we're not going to have any food items of any sort, little / no outdoor items (debating giving the table & chairs another coat and bringing them, as they're not very old) etc.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice guys. A great help. I think we will stick to the cube. Just checking - will we need to do anything special to the bikes? Just spray them down? Also, v odd question, but I'm very into my cooking and have quite alot of dried spices. Obviously I know that I can't bring things like dried chillis due to the seeds, but would I be ok with things like ground coriander/cloves/cumin etc? Have looked on the DIBP site but can't find anything conclusive.

Finally, I saw someone somewhere saying that they had put things that customs would want to check at the front of their container. Is there anything in particular that we would need to do that with please?
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by extrobe
Out of interest garyp, do you know what caused your delay?

We're offloading a fair bit of furniture for exactly the reasons you state - but we're also hoping to minimise opportunities for delays - we're not going to have any food items of any sort, little / no outdoor items (debating giving the table & chairs another coat and bringing them, as they're not very old) etc.
From memory never given valid reason. They reckon it was held up somewhere.It was about another month more than expected bearing in mind I sent it out a month before I left the UK.Probably left the UK after me I am sure we waited for the container to arrive 2 months (3 total) and items were damaged to top it off. Nice tear in the leather sofa and a few other broken items. I worked out cheaper is not always better in regards to removals if they don't protect your items well with packaging.When I eventually moved my stuff back to the UK (Yes I know how stupid am I) packaged much better by the Aussie company.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice guys. A great help. I think we will stick to the cube. Just checking - will we need to do anything special to the bikes? Just spray them down? Also, v odd question, but I'm very into my cooking and have quite alot of dried spices. Obviously I know that I can't bring things like dried chillis due to the seeds, but would I be ok with things like ground coriander/cloves/cumin etc? Have looked on the DIBP site but can't find anything conclusive.

Finally, I saw someone somewhere saying that they had put things that customs would want to check at the front of their container. Is there anything in particular that we would need to do that with please?
Just make sure no dirt/mud on anything.Went through and washed every item that was dirty that went into my container just in case. The packers took the front wheel of our bikes before it went into a bike box.Not a problem if you are mechanically minded unlike me
Sure any kind of food stuff is a no no. Don't think anything of mine was checked as nothing was opened and I wasn't given that advice about putting certain things in front.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Zoe, we too have quite the herb & spice collection (we lived in India for a few years, so really got stuck into using the spices) but we've just had to accept we're going to lose all of them. I gather ground spices in retail packaging (I presume sealed at that) should be ok, but that's probably about it.
What little food we do take, we're going to take as hold luggage and declare it on arrival - less to slow things down on our shipment that way.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Herbs and Spices on the list which could bring disease to Australian crops. Probably take off you http://www.agriculture.gov.au/SiteCo...-factsheet.pdf
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks garyp - definitely says herbs and spices. It's going to be expensive building up my collection again. Mind you, it will be a drop in the ocean compared to all of the other costs for moving to Oz! Thanks for the help everyone.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks garyp - definitely says herbs and spices. It's going to be expensive building up my collection again. Mind you, it will be a drop in the ocean compared to all of the other costs for moving to Oz! Thanks for the help everyone.
Just remember - it says you must declare them, not that you can't take them

Dried, ground spices and spice mixes weighing no greater than 1 kilogram are allowed into Australia

But I think the end-result is the same!
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've watched Australia Border Force on TV always take off you � ����

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.