Shipping

Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping

Lots of quotes then. Any idea who your going to use and who has been the cheapest so far. I hear you can haggle with them too.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

welovebonds is an unknown quantity at this point

If you pack for yourself you are not covered by insurance for breakages packing and unpacking, I am having them pack for me, as I'm using Letton Percival for the insurance despite their £100 excess

I was told by LP that they would only cover you once the container was packed and was locked outside your address and not while your goods are being put in boxes at your address...this put me off...worth checking.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

nina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in this section before, only in the immigration section as I've just been granted my visa.....

However I've just been reading though this thread and although I won't be taking enough stuff to Oz with me to use a container, I work in Marine Insurance, for a claims settling agent, so I see lots of different claims and circumstances.

I would advise that you check exactly what your insurance covers you for, if its from start to final destination, from port to port, some insurance literally only covers you up until your container 'passes the ships rails' or if it is being stored at the port it might not be covered. Check the sales terms, these are usually 3 letters such as FOB, CIP, CIF and have various coverage.

If someone wants to steal a container they will, although this more rife with consignments of tv, dvds etc etc from big companies. As was mentioned although unlikely, ships do get damaged or indeed sink. I don't want to put anyone off just thought the advise might come in handy

Hopefully I will fit all my stuff into a couple of boxes which seems stressful enough let alone a whole container! So good luck everyone

Nina

xx
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:25 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We are lucky on the insurance front as the company hubby is working for self insures so we dont need to worry about sorting shipping insurance though we used Letton Percival on our move back from Oz to the UK in 2006. Didnt need to make a claim so only know their sales services was good but couldnt comment on claiming

Jo
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:12 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asher
If you pack for yourself you are not covered by insurance for breakages packing and unpacking, I am having them pack for me, as I'm using Letton Percival for the insurance despite their £100 excess
We used John mason and they was faultless ...

Left them to pack and wrap as they know what they're doing!

EVERYTHING is wrapped and boxes including things like chairs and the sofa. They supplied a custom made box for the plasma too for £25.

Get your insurance direct from http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/ and save £££! ...
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

This whole shipping business is a bit of a minefield there are so many to choose from. Just had a pack of info from Simpsons anyone heard of them? I filled something out online ticking boxes next to what we were taking but until it gets packed i've no idea how many cubic ft this will be!! So its a total estimate, how do they give a more accurate quote, when they come out?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:01 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welovebonds

I was told by LP that they would only cover you once the container was packed and was locked outside your address and not while your goods are being put in boxes at your address...this put me off...worth checking.
hmm in my small print it says I am covered for breakages packing and unpacking as long as it is professionally done.

Doree Bonner have been all my stuff packed and gone they packed it well and checked with me carefully the items t go and those not to.

Courteous and helpful and very careful of my things I'm impressed so far
Old Jun 26th 2008, 7:16 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iainandsam
This whole shipping business is a bit of a minefield there are so many to choose from. Just had a pack of info from Simpsons anyone heard of them? I filled something out online ticking boxes next to what we were taking but until it gets packed i've no idea how many cubic ft this will be!! So its a total estimate, how do they give a more accurate quote, when they come out?

We had the same quote from them something completed online and then a pack through. No follow up phone call makes you wonder if they want your business. I hadnt heard of them but they were our second cheapest quote.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

They did follow up with a phone call but i was just off out. Do you think its better to go with the bigger companies or smaller local ones, anyone from Herts, beds, bucks area? Who can give me some advice?

Originally Posted by joh117
We had the same quote from them something completed online and then a pack through. No follow up phone call makes you wonder if they want your business. I hadnt heard of them but they were our second cheapest quote.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Just to let people know we had Dorree Bonner round yesterday and they were excellent. Packers were efficient, polite and packed things well. All the furniture had individual crates premade, as did our larger pieces of artwork.

Now of course our stuff hasn't arrived yet, but so far very good.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:24 am
Pass The Post

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Just to let people know we had Dorree Bonner round yesterday and they were excellent. Packers were efficient, polite and packed things well. All the furniture had individual crates premade, as did our larger pieces of artwork.

Now of course our stuff hasn't arrived yet, but so far very good.
They were one of the most expensive that came to see us and they slagged off other companies which put me off. They said they couldnt even try and compete with others lower quotes so they cant want the business that much.

Jo
Old Jun 28th 2008, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joh117
They were one of the most expensive that came to see us and they slagged off other companies which put me off. They said they couldnt even try and compete with others lower quotes so they cant want the business that much.

Jo
I guess it depends on the repratentative that comes to visit you, we didn't find they slagged off others at all. They weren't the cheapest, but there are other factors to consider. I'm just letting people know how we found them.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:58 pm
Pass The Post

Originally Posted by hereshoping
I guess it depends on the repratentative that comes to visit you, we didn't find they slagged off others at all. They weren't the cheapest, but there are other factors to consider. I'm just letting people know how we found them.

Fair comment. They all have different representatives across the UK and they will all be different. I totally agree that cheapest isnt always the best option.

Jo
Old Jun 30th 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice

Hiya,

Ok so If I wanted to just ship over a couple of sofa's, sideboard and dining table/chairs. Obviously along with 15-20 boxes of stuff!

Surley that aint a 20ft container and wouldn't have to pay minimum 20ft container prices! correct?

I was hoping to pay between £1000 and £1500

Old Jun 30th 2008, 12:48 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stellaman
Hiya,

Ok so If I wanted to just ship over a couple of sofa's, sideboard and dining table/chairs. Obviously along with 15-20 boxes of stuff!

Surley that aint a 20ft container and wouldn't have to pay minimum 20ft container prices! correct?

I was hoping to pay between £1000 and £1500

Yer about the mark.............mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.