shipping

Old Feb 1st 2004, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point
Question shipping

I know there has been a lot about this recently, but I would like some more specific help (if not feel free to point me to threads that have the answers)

Insurance - when people have been discussing shipping costs they talk about % added for the insurance, is this to cover everything. someone else mentioned filling in a form for insurance, does this mean that anything not on the form is uninsured or just insured in a lump (like household contents insurance you only highlight individually expensive items)

Shipping companies - seen various names mentioned
Anglo Pacific, Pickfords, etc have received some bad comments
but what about Excess International Removals (are they the same as Excess Baggage company)
Britannia or Richmonds. Any advice on good ones/ones to avoid will be gratefully received as they will be responsible for taking all our worldly goods half way round the world!

Timing - is it better to have your goods leave here before you and timed to arrive in Oz at the same time as you or better to keep them here and ship them just as you are leaving and live without them in Oz until they arrive?

I think thats all for now on the shipping front, though I'm sure they'll be loads more as we get further into the process!

Thanks in advance

Karen

Old Feb 1st 2004, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our stuff is currently in the middle of the ocean somewhere (hopefully still on the ship- and the ship still afloat ).
We have used John Masons who so far have been brilliant. Will let you know more once we get our shipment in feb.

Claire
Old Feb 1st 2004, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping

Originally posted by karen p
I know there has been a lot about this recently, but I would like some more specific help (if not feel free to point me to threads that have the answers)

Insurance - when people have been discussing shipping costs they talk about % added for the insurance, is this to cover everything. someone else mentioned filling in a form for insurance, does this mean that anything not on the form is uninsured or just insured in a lump (like household contents insurance you only highlight individually expensive items)

but what about Excess International Removals (are they the same as Excess Baggage company)
Britannia or Richmonds. Any advice on good ones/ones to avoid will be gratefully received as they will be responsible for taking all our worldly goods half way round the world!

Timing - is it better to have your goods leave here before you and timed to arrive in Oz at the same time as you or better to keep them here and ship them just as you are leaving and live without them in Oz until they arrive?

I think thats all for now on the shipping front, though I'm sure they'll be loads more as we get further into the process!

Thanks in advance

Karen

terrible experience with Britannia
-turned up at house with inadequate packing materials - had to use our dust sheets to pad out some boxes
-used a penknife to remove drawer handles - were most grateful when hubby offered them a screwdriver
-complained when we asked them to box and pack a £1000 pair of speakers properly rather than just wrap them in brown paper with no box - had the cheek to complain that it would take longer
-collected another item of furniture from gran's house but brought no packaging. hubby reluctantly let it go on the van having been assured that it would be packed as soon as it got to warehouse. In spite of further assurances that it had been packaged and that guy on the phone had seen it with his own eyes, turned up 12,000 miles later with not an ounce of packing and hence damaged beyond belief.
- the insurance claim is another story.......

good luck
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance

Karen

I am bumping this to the top as I am still looking for some answers, particularly the for the insurance and timing questions

Thanks Karen

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Karen,
We had to fill in an itemised list for insurance, item, quantity and value. It was very detailed and it was a % of the total value of items that we had to pay (I think it was 2.5% but not 100% sure, I cant find my copy offhand as they're coming tomorrow and I'm in chaos!)

Michaela
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:23 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance

Karen

well we are just starting to get shipping quotes, plus we are doing it from germany so I can only comment on two of the items you've asked about, but here goes....

INSURANCE
so far, we've only been asked what value we want it insured at. We gave them a lump sum figure and off they toddled to prepare the quotes. Dont know if the one that actually gets the business will come back at a later date to get a more detailed breakdown or not.

TIMING
we are planning to have it leave a few weeks before us and get there a few weeks after we arrive, but this partly cos we have to come back to the UK for two weeks before we fly on to Australia.

sorry cant be more help.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

kick it to the top as we are just about to embark on the "shipping" dilema

cheers

pockygoes
Old Feb 5th 2004, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

mullen is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

Karen,
have u tried contacting Crown Relocations.Just had them in today to quote for our move to Perth.Some of our mates have just used them for move to Canada and no complaints.Tel number for Crown Leeds is 01133851008 branches all over UK.
20 ft container for £3k + insurance 3% of value of goods in the container.
Tony
Old Feb 5th 2004, 2:05 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by mullen
Karen,
have u tried contacting Crown Relocations.Just had them in today to quote for our move to Perth.Some of our mates have just used them for move to Canada and no complaints.Tel number for Crown Leeds is 01133851008 branches all over UK.
20 ft container for £3k + insurance 3% of value of goods in the container.
Tony

That is who we are going with because they are jolly nice and helpful on the phone and have answered all my questions with good humour.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

We had PSS, Brittania and White & Co to quote and I thought PSS came across as the most professional.
Will also received a brochure from Kent who operate in Brisbane on behalf of PSS.
Brittania man barely spoke and didn't asnwer my questions very well.
White were OK but not as detailed as PSS.