Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shippers USA to Australia

Shippers USA to Australia

Old Apr 10th 2011, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all
Default Shippers USA to Australia

Can any share their experiences on shippers they used for moving Personal Household goods from USA to Oz. We are try to decide on who to use and cannot find any company that are reasonable with no bad reviews...

Help!

-scaria197
Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:32 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shippers USA to Australia

Why on *earth* would you want to move from the USA to Oz?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all

Lol...personal reasons...USA is an adopted home not born home.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wol
If you have never lived in the USA as an "alien" unable to get health insurance and living in a culture with areas that locals are scared to drive through, it may be hard to imagine wanting to leave.

Many do! We used FID International, and the service in the US was fine, we had a shared container and the packers wrapped the furniture, although I had all the boxes and inventory done.

We didnt insure, and 1 bed was damaged, and 1 casserole dish broke needing replacement. The boxes arrived looking like they had all been squashed and most had been opened, but nothing was missing. Getting the right materials and packing correctly is a must.

My recommendation would be if you want insurance, to get the belongings insured separately, in our case it would have been less cost effective.

Unless the whole container was water damaged or lost, then we would have been kicking ourselves.

Hope this helps, tho ymmv
Old Apr 10th 2011, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

mkalt is an unknown quantity at this point

We are also planning to move @ end of June and planning to ship everything by 2nd week of June.

Moving from LA to Melbourne !

Still searching for reliable cargo shipper with reasonable rates. UPakWeShip seemed to have good breakdown of rates. I will have a good idea about my load size in next couple of weeks to get a good quote.

Where are you boarding from? and to where?

Best,
M
Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Why not?
Old Apr 11th 2011, 4:03 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Why not?
I lived in the States for 12 years and would place it several dozen places ahead of Australia as a desirable home. We only left after 9-11 when they made it more iffy getting the 6 months at a time on entry.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 5:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I lived in the States for 12 years and would place it several dozen places ahead of Australia as a desirable home. We only left after 9-11 when they made it more iffy getting the 6 months at a time on entry.
Each to their own. There are parts of the US that I would love to live in, most of it I would not - same for Australia.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Finally the DSL outage is over!! and I can check my email. Well Just to share, I am here on a perfectly legal status and just tired of the wait to get Residency and later citizenship...

@mkalt
Yup me also seriously considering upakweship....the quote seems very competitive...we have boxes totalling about 150 cu ft. We are on the East Coast-Charlotte to Sydney. We have short term rental sorted out and the Owner is ok with us putting stuff in the garage.

@Goldcoastmag

Thanks for for inputs...I will check with FID International.

Thanks everyone else for your inputs.