Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shippers - urgent help needed

Shippers - urgent help needed

Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shippers - urgent help needed

Ok, I know I've left it really late but I had other things on my mind !!

I have the shippers in on Tuesday to pack up - does anyone know approx what sort of time to expect them ?

Also, it would appear that we aren't quite going to be ready for them as I have completely lost the will to live let alone clean ! Do they start from the top and work down ? or do they split up and each start in different rooms ? I have absolutely no idea what to expect but have an image of these men bursting in and working like whirlwinds. Do you reckon we'll be able to finish off cleaning whilst they're here ?

Heather
Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shippers - urgent help needed

Originally Posted by ohippy
Ok, I know I've left it really late but I had other things on my mind !!

I have the shippers in on Tuesday to pack up - does anyone know approx what sort of time to expect them ?

Also, it would appear that we aren't quite going to be ready for them as I have completely lost the will to live let alone clean ! Do they start from the top and work down ? or do they split up and each start in different rooms ? I have absolutely no idea what to expect but have an image of these men bursting in and working like whirlwinds. Do you reckon we'll be able to finish off cleaning whilst they're here ?

Heather
I have no idea, but you really need to chill.

Don't worry about it I'm sure it will all be OK.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC

We had one bedroom set aside for stuff not to pack and told them to leave that room. Pack towels and bedding into anything you can, drawers, cupboards etc we even packed our chest freezer with bedding. Dont worry it will be fine.

Jo
Old Apr 9th 2006, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I did that last week I went on holiday with the kids and left hubby to start the clearing, only he didn't realise the shippers were in this week as I didn't move the calendar from March to April so did buggar all !! Lucky him, he's back to work tomorrow leaving the mess to me !
Old Apr 9th 2006, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I did that last week I went on holiday with the kids and left hubby to start the clearing, only he didn't realise the shippers were in this week as I didn't move the calendar from March to April so did buggar all !! Lucky him, he's back to work tomorrow leaving the mess to me !

Men, they'll tell you anything. Give him a slap
Old Apr 9th 2006, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by joho
We had one bedroom set aside for stuff not to pack and told them to leave that room. Pack towels and bedding into anything you can, drawers, cupboards etc we even packed our chest freezer with bedding. Dont worry it will be fine.

Jo
I have done that - got one room with stuff not to be packed and have packed some drawers with bedding - am hoping they'll pack the rest as I'm still sorting out the kitchen - do they automatically not pack foodstuffs or do they literally pack everything in sight ?
Old Apr 9th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Men, they'll tell you anything. Give him a slap
You know before I went I counteracted every single excuse I thought he'd come up with - I wasn't prepared for that one though. If only he spent as much energy on sorting the house as he does on making up excuses !
Old Apr 9th 2006, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

You know before I went I counteracted every single excuse I thought he'd come up with - I wasn't prepared for that one though. If only he spent as much energy on sorting the house as he does on making up excuses !
What part of Bristol are you from, used to live in Pensford and Keynsham.

Jo
Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice

I have done that - got one room with stuff not to be packed and have packed some drawers with bedding - am hoping they'll pack the rest as I'm still sorting out the kitchen - do they automatically not pack foodstuffs or do they literally pack everything in sight ?
Don't know if this is any help, but our packers turned up about 9.30am and stayed til about 3.30pm the first day. One started in the lounge and the other in the kitchen, as that was where there was the most stuff to pack. But, in the kitchen they did pack EVERYTHING!!! I found a string of garlic wrapped up in bubble wrap when I was unpacking a couple of weeks ago! I couldn't help but laugh, until I got to the bottom of the box and found all the tea towels and table clothes which stank of garlic too ... We emptied our fridge as it had to be switched off for a couple of days to defrost/dry out so our food was stashed out the way so it didn't get packed accidentally.

Also, found it impossible to do anything around them without totally getting in the way so me and the babe went out for the day leaving hubby to control things at home.

They came back about 10am the following day to pack the container and were gone by 1pm.

Hope that helps, and good luck with the move

Nat (Mrs terrrym)
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:34 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrym
Don't know if this is any help, but our packers turned up about 9.30am and stayed til about 3.30pm the first day. One started in the lounge and the other in the kitchen, as that was where there was the most stuff to pack. But, in the kitchen they did pack EVERYTHING!!! I found a string of garlic wrapped up in bubble wrap when I was unpacking a couple of weeks ago! I couldn't help but laugh, until I got to the bottom of the box and found all the tea towels and table clothes which stank of garlic too ... We emptied our fridge as it had to be switched off for a couple of days to defrost/dry out so our food was stashed out the way so it didn't get packed accidentally.

Also, found it impossible to do anything around them without totally getting in the way so me and the babe went out for the day leaving hubby to control things at home.

They came back about 10am the following day to pack the container and were gone by 1pm.

Nat (Mrs terrrym)
your lucky AQIS didnt find the garlic We always start the pack in the kitchen /dining/lounge were ever the majority of Fragiles are, these need the most attention.
You can help by removing all items not to be packed , as some on here have said put them in the bath tub or a NO_GO room[label the door if you have too,} place post-it notes on any items that are not to be moved[ we carry DO NOT REMOVE labels in our trucks} take out any food items that have been opened or are MEAT or EGG based[mayonaise etc] remove any FLAMMABLES and PRESSURISED containers ,also matches ,cigarette lighters , go through your JUNK draws bag up all the loose crap ready for packing [we like this]'
Any delicate items can be carefully packed using Tissue paper in TUPPERWARE containers [Let the packers inspect them so they can cover you ] If you pack COMPUTERS/DVD/VCR/ STEREO COMPONENTS in their Original boxes using foam inserts , let the packers inspect them we will cover you and saves us time[ i hate wiring] .......other than that keep out the way, remove kids [littlies] Dogs to grannies for the day, and keep the coffee up [we thrive on caffein]......................... mm
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Heather
Some good advice from mr mover! He is right - keep out of their way as much as possible! And make sure you put anything you dont want them to pack in a room or other area and make it clear to them 'all' that it is a no-go place!

Ours came early about 8am both days and finished late aftn. They packed all the kitchen stuff and misc items which we put out ready for them, most other things like electrical items we had already done as had original packaging, then they checked the boxes. We had 3 the first day and 2 thereafter - it is important to not leave anything hanging around like food stuffs also make sure none of the paperwork you need to carry with you is packed in the container - it has been done! So very important to have a no-go area with everything you need left behind!

Chill out, you are worrying too much (bit like I did) - they are only human - like mr mover says just keep the coffee or tea flowing! (and make sure they dont pack of teapot) Wait till it arrives this end - now that is fun Only joking!

Good luck with it all! Dont panic! Its all worth it in the end!

Gill
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

What part of Bristol are you from, used to live in Pensford and Keynsham.

Jo
We're in Bradley Stoke so further into the traffic jams !!
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by terrym

Nat (Mrs terrrym)
Aarrggggghhhhhh - it's the kitchen that I've left til last - all that cleaning !! The cooker has never been cleaned, the shoes not cleaned, cupboards not sorted etc Still have to do the attic and garage too.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:44 am
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of
Question Re: Shippers - urgent help needed

Jo
We are packing our house ourselves! So, I thought I would be cheaky and jump on this thread to ask any of you experience guys ....how were your clothes packed? Were they just in suitcases? I am worried about some of my better clothes, what do you suggest?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mr mover
your lucky AQIS didnt find the garlic We always start the pack in the kitchen /dining/lounge were ever the majority of Fragiles are, these need the most attention.
You can help by removing all items not to be packed , as some on here have said put them in the bath tub or a NO_GO room[label the door if you have too,} place post-it notes on any items that are not to be moved[ we carry DO NOT REMOVE labels in our trucks} take out any food items that have been opened or are MEAT or EGG based[mayonaise etc] remove any FLAMMABLES and PRESSURISED containers ,also matches ,cigarette lighters , go through your JUNK draws bag up all the loose crap ready for packing [we like this]'
Any delicate items can be carefully packed using Tissue paper in TUPPERWARE containers [Let the packers inspect them so they can cover you ] If you pack COMPUTERS/DVD/VCR/ STEREO COMPONENTS in their Original boxes using foam inserts , let the packers inspect them we will cover you and saves us time[ i hate wiring] .......other than that keep out the way, remove kids [littlies] Dogs to grannies for the day, and keep the coffee up [we thrive on caffein]......................... mm
Good advice - animals are being rehomed today, kids sorted, loads of coffee in - if they start in the kitchen do they leave mugs and kettle until last ?!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.