Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shippers and Shipping

Shippers and Shipping

Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

stevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nice
Default Re: Shippers and Shipping

Used anglo pacific, took out extra insurance to cover what we shipped. when we arrived we had things broken and claimed on our insurance. anglo wouldn't pay as they said the things that were broken were not on our list. we thought that you just list valuable items to cover on extra insurance, but anglo said "not listed not insured". so if you use that useless lot you will have to sit for weeks listing "every" item on the list for insurances otherwise they wont pay. "ripped off" is how i describe it!!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

noofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brockies
Any info on Whites???
If that Whites based in Southampton - STEER CLEAR!!!!!!

Our stuff should have been here on the 13th January. We rang Just to check on the progress a few days before then only to be told it was in Malaysia!!!!! Apparently missed it's connecting boat and had been there for three weeks!!!!

The agent here in Australia and Whites at home just said that these things happen and we will just have to be patient.

It is here in Australia now and we were told yesterday we will have to wait our turn and that we may have it by the 21st February, which we won't because thats a Saturday.

We explained to them we have had to buy things unecessarily as we have rented an unfurnished house only to be told by Whites that it isn't them who have been neglegent so we can't make a claim and the handling company here, well they really don't care!!!!

Jackie
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:21 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by noofie
We explained to them we have had to buy things unecessarily as we have rented an unfurnished house only to be told by Whites that it isn't them who have been neglegent so we can't make a claim and the handling company here, well they really don't care!!!!

Jackie
Burke Brothers said the same to us I phoned to give them the new house address and was informed that just over 7 weeks after leaving our home the container was still in Wolverhampton sat in front of her. I asked what we were mean't to sleep on and cook with ect, her reply was not our problem just go and buy a load of new stuff. I thought that was the point of paying you over £4000 to ship the stuff i already had.
They are the worst company I have ever used.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Special1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Shippers and Shipping

Hiya,

I am looking into Shipping Companies and I was wondering your thoughts on "EXCESS BAGGAGE"? They seemed slightly cheaper from the research I have done so far - however, I have not come across some of the companies you mentioned above, so I guess I need to do some more research!

Thoughts/experiences with Excess Baggage would be appreciated or on any of the other companies which I obtained quotes/indications from, namely: PSS; Excess International Movers; and Anglo Pacific.

Many thanx,
S
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:39 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Special1
Hiya,

I am looking into Shipping Companies and I was wondering your thoughts on "EXCESS BAGGAGE"? They seemed slightly cheaper from the research I have done so far - however, I have not come across some of the companies you mentioned above, so I guess I need to do some more research!

Thoughts/experiences with Excess Baggage would be appreciated or on any of the other companies which I obtained quotes/indications from, namely: PSS; Excess International Movers; and Anglo Pacific.

Many thanx,
S
Well I shipped 15 boxes with Excess Baggage - they left me in the UK on 12th November 2008 with an estimated 8 -10 week delivery time. 16 weeks later........................ er.........................

They were supposed to arrive 2nd feb and take 14 days to clear customs - any more than 12 days and they start charging for storage. It has taken over a month for them to clear and now they say they dont know when then can deliver them to me............... last wednesday they gave me the option of the thursday (yes the day after) and because I was 300 miles away and couldnt get back in time they just said oh well we'll be in touch but we have no idea when it will be as we dont deliver there very often (I am an hour away from the docks at Sydney)

So I am still waiting........................................... .............
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Special1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Shippers and Shipping

Hi Ponyrama: Sounds terrible, I hope that your goods arrive!

Unfortunately, by the time I read your message, I had already appointed Excess Baggage. I have paid the deposit and I don't intend to arrange the shipment of the boxes until I am more settled out there.

Does anyone have any feedback on Excess Baggage?

If the feedback is really really terrible, I will seriously consider using another shipping company (I will lose my deposit though )

BTW, I'm going from UK to Canada... not sure if I posted this response in acceptable place since I note this is for Oz!
Its same shipping company though.

Please anyone share any feedback on Excess Baggage!

Many thanx
S
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:19 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Unfortunately, by the time I read your message, I had already appointed Excess Baggage. I have paid the deposit and I don't intend to arrange the shipment of the boxes until I am more settled out there.

If the feedback is really really terrible, I will seriously consider using another shipping company (I will lose my deposit though )

BTW, I'm going from UK to Canada... not sure if I posted this response in acceptable place since I note this is for Oz!

Many thanx
S
We used Excess Baggage for some boxes, but we dropped them at the airport and collected them from the other airport. Service was good, took about 2 weeks total.

Cant comment of their full shipping service.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

harrycharlie will become famous soon enough

Many thanx
S
Hi
we used freedom shipping we were quoted 8 - 12 weeks on the 26 boxes we shipped and they arrived and were delivered 8 weeks and 2 days later i checked out all the excess baggage companies on price and all in all in cost us £836 and nothing was damaged not even a wine glass pretty good going we think.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanx
S
Used Excess Baggage twice, both times for air fright not surface. The second ot is sitting in Customs at present waiting for release, so it is now in the hands of Jetta (the importing company). Excess Baggage can't be held responsible for the time it takes once it gets to this side, that is down to Customs/AQIS and the importers.

Ponyrama - if they try and charge you for storage I woiuld fight it - firstly, you have no control over customs time, and therefore definitely no storage should be charged until it is released by Customs.
If the storage is then needed because you cannot accept delivery until a certain date then you probably ARE liable. However if the goods are only being stored because the importers haven't got round to delivering them then you should NOT be charged as it isn't your fault.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:22 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Well I rang them again today and I am still no nearer getting a delivery date. They are now saying it is my fault cos I "keep changing my mind over where i want it delivered". Which I havent - I notified them of my new address before it arrived and I paid customs charge. They have since that date failed to get me a quote for extra mileage as new address is further away - wanted me to still have it delivered to old address and then moaned when i couldnt arrange to be at the old address (my sisters house) with less than 24 hours notice. So 6 weeks after it arrived in the country they are still unable to tell me when I will have my goods. I have a good mind to get a van and go pick it up myself.:curse::curse::curse:

And i take the point about Excess Baggage not being responsible once it arrives here - the company I now dealing with are called Kings! Just so the record is straight.
Old May 25th 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

KateandPhil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
I have spent the last hour and a half looking through the entire forum about shippers and shipping so i can give you a list of shippers people have used and the number of recommendations they have.

So, here you go:

Allied Pickfords - 7 good experiences

Black Cat - one negative experience

Crown - 8 good experiences

1st move international - one negative experience

PSS - 7 good experences and 1 negative

John Masons - 9 good, 3 bad

Atlantis overseas - 2 good

Bonner - 4 good

Whites- 1 good

Anglo Pacific - 4 good

Brittania, GB Liners and Allfright have only had 1 mention as far as i can see but it has been positive.

these are based on what i have found only. if anyone wishes to add their experience then please do.
Hi there can i take it from your name you are from Sheffield?
We are just outside Sheffield moving to SE Brisbane (Cleveland probably) in December. Which shipping company did you use in the end and how did you find them? How long did it take too?
Thanks Kate
Old May 26th 2009, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

shonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura about

We used Burke Bros. Our goods went into a shared container and it is worth noting for those that were complaining about Anglo Pacific that Burke Bros actually passed our goods onto Anglo Pacific! Burke Bros picked up our possessions, held them in storage and then passed them onto Anglo Pacific, who then pass them on for shipping/export.

On the day our goods eventually arrived I noticed a box in someone elses name, which didn't fill me with confidence! As I pointed out to the delivery man, if I could have someone elses box then what system is in place to make sure that someone else doesn't have mine?

Sure enough we were 2 boxes short! Virtually all my daughters clothes are missing and a LOT of computer equipment. In the rest of the boxes there had been NO attempt at packing anything properly. Things had just been thrown into boxes with no consideration given as to what they were, how fragile they were, or what damage would be done to them.

Burke Bros have a legal responsibility to compensate us for the damage done to the goods that we did not insure seperately. Several weeks have gone by and despite numerous emails Chris Burke has ignored every request we have made to him about this.

We have got so sick of it that we have set up a blog in the hope that others can learn from our experience and choose a removal company wisely.

I wouldn't recommend Burke Bros to anyone (and if you want to see a video of one of the boxes we opened then click this link Burke Bros - negligent packing video) and we are still pursuing Burke Bros for the money they owe us.

You can read more about our experience with Burke Bros here...

Burke Bros International Movers Review
Old May 27th 2009, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

mi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
I have spent the last hour and a half looking through the entire forum about shippers and shipping so i can give you a list of shippers people have used and the number of recommendations they have.

So, here you go:

Allied Pickfords - 7 good experiences

Black Cat - one negative experience

Crown - 8 good experiences

1st move international - one negative experience

PSS - 7 good experences and 1 negative

John Masons - 9 good, 3 bad

Atlantis overseas - 2 good

Bonner - 4 good

Whites- 1 good

Anglo Pacific - 4 good

Brittania, GB Liners and Allfright have only had 1 mention as far as i can see but it has been positive.

these are based on what i have found only. if anyone wishes to add their experience then please do.
Who was it said "There are lies, damn lies and statistics"

Sorry you excercise means to quote my yanky mates - didly squat!

What the facts are being the numbers is another story.

We sorted everything out with Crown, the checking their quote against others..they were dearer. Now we had just "lost" £45000 off the house valuation in order to sell, so we went into scrooge mode.

Looking on this and other forum, we saw good things about John Mason and other, cheaper quote from Jm and we signed up. MISTAKE

We have stuff missing on arrival . All boxes apparently arrived - both packers and unpackers work of f the same notes and after 2 days, we were TOLD that we had 142 box's BUT could not board the van to check due to Health & Saftey regs!!

Only boxes opened and re-sealed by customs shold broken JM tape. None o f the missing items were in the customs opened boxes.

I an open to suggestions as to where our gear went and how!!

So going back to your survey, If you chose teh one with teh highest number of good reports ....it will be a few weeks before you know whether you will add a good or bad report to the list!

There is no pattern and to use statistics, you need a base line, which would be out of how many shipments and over what period are you X refing ?

Who had the stuff other wanted or who looked after the stuff better.

if its theft you worry about...see my other posts on self protection an ddont let the packers out of your sight and photograph them holding every item going into a box!

Best of Luck
Old May 27th 2009, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

Following on from you saying non of the items missing in your shipment were from boxes opened by customs I am just wonder if it would be a good idea on packing day to get a marker pen and for us to sign our names across the seals. It may take a bit longer but hey, these are my life possessions?
Old May 27th 2009, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

mi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by eeksy
Following on from you saying non of the items missing in your shipment were from boxes opened by customs I am just wonder if it would be a good idea on packing day to get a marker pen and for us to sign our names across the seals. It may take a bit longer but hey, these are my life possessions?
Sounds good, but IF the stuff missing went out of the house in a box that was NOT sent as it should have been and ended up in a car boot somewhere.
All the precautions for checking seals...is a waste of time.

Packers move in and in cases like ours, shared container...our stuff was boxed for transport to the warehouse for later packing into a container.
The packers were in our house nearly two full days 9.30 - 4.30pm. Boxes were being carried out continually, one guy worked upstairs and one downstairs. Its impossible to watch both continually. And at that stage its not anticipated that you are going to lose stuff and have trust in the packers - who are well aware that it takes weeks before you get the stuff and that its difficult from 11000 miles away to do much about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.