Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shippers and Shipping

Shippers and Shipping

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shippers and Shipping

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
go for it. i'll find out the name of the company which has been recommended over and over again about the insurance, dont take out the companies own policy and write every little thing down. get all quotes and names in writing and find out the names of the blokes doing the packing.
oh and list everything no matter how small with model numbers if you can find them.
I bet you never hear of movecorp ?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:37 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mands
I bet you never hear of movecorp ?
you're right, I havent.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:27 pm
Perth here we come!

lindseymcc is just really nicelindseymcc is just really nicelindseymcc is just really nicelindseymcc is just really nicelindseymcc is just really nicelindseymcc is just really nicelindseymcc is just really nicelindseymcc is just really nice

Hi have had Crown quote us for a 20ft container £4197 nearly died?? Is this a standard price. They said we had 900 cubic feet worth of stuff. Also had Anglo Pacific out over a week ago and still waiting for a price - not impressed by their service! Going to Perth from Scotland if that makes a difference? Thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
you're right, I havent.
gotcha..
Old Mar 24th 2008, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Lawson has a spectacular aura aboutSteve Lawson has a spectacular aura aboutSteve Lawson has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lindseymcc
Hi have had Crown quote us for a 20ft container £4197 nearly died?? Is this a standard price. They said we had 900 cubic feet worth of stuff. Also had Anglo Pacific out over a week ago and still waiting for a price - not impressed by their service! Going to Perth from Scotland if that makes a difference? Thanks
Price looks about standard. The only way to reduce this significantly is to pack and load your own container, but that will still cost about GBP2,800 (depending where you are in Scotland). If this interests you, look at the classified section on this site.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Angib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant future

Hiya Mate

Thanks so much for this post - we are selling up a lot of furniture before moving so the things we are taking are even more important especially for the kids - will be looking to the Companies with good rep for quotes. Cheers
Angi
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Poppydreams is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
You can add 1 more bad experience to Crown from me.
Hi Nu-Shooz

Out of interest what was your experience with Crown if you don't mind me asking?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I have formed an embrionic plan re shipping. I'd be grateful if people could tell me if I'm realistic in my ideas...

We have tons of stuff. I think we have more than a 20 foot container's worth. So I was wondering about sending the rest in crates. I was thinking of doing this a few weeks or so before we leave the country so it would be with us not long after we arrive... As we only have 20ks luggage allowance, I was also wondering about sending important paperwork/toys/shoes etc by excess baggage to my cousin in Aus a week before we fly, so we can collect it from there. I know it sounds complicated.....

Any views?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Lawson has a spectacular aura aboutSteve Lawson has a spectacular aura aboutSteve Lawson has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I have formed an embrionic plan re shipping. I'd be grateful if people could tell me if I'm realistic in my ideas...

We have tons of stuff. I think we have more than a 20 foot container's worth. So I was wondering about sending the rest in crates. I was thinking of doing this a few weeks or so before we leave the country so it would be with us not long after we arrive... As we only have 20ks luggage allowance, I was also wondering about sending important paperwork/toys/shoes etc by excess baggage to my cousin in Aus a week before we fly, so we can collect it from there. I know it sounds complicated.....

Any views?

You haven't mentioned your final destination. Different services apply for different regions. It may even be better just to get a 40ft container and save the cost of crates. If you do use crates - they must conform to ISPM15 regulations (check out timcon.org for suppliers). I suggest you discuss your options with one of the many shipping firms. If you plan on packing yourself, get expert advice. What you want to do is feasible, but may not be the best way for you. Try calling these firms for advice:

Pickfords
Anglo Pacific
Crown (for whole door-door removal)
EwePack.com
Excess Baggage.com (for self packing)

Best of luck.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:25 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Any views?
I would get a quote for a few options - 20ft with groupage (shared container via sea), 20ft container (and you sort everything else with another company) and a 40 ft container with everything. Depending on the volume you have over a 20ft container it's sometimes cheaper to send everything together in a 40ft container.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Any views?
By the way, I would check out the customs implications on goods sent in advance. Usually you should have flown in at the time of arrival of goods to qualify for duty exemption. Just send paperwork and low value items if you're keen on sending stuff ahead.

Having checked your profile, I guess you're in Wales, so my bet is the 40ft container will be the best bet for logistical reasons and cost (part loads usually load in Manchester or London). I would agree with Wheeler-Jones on that. Remember everything will be customs inspected and quarantine checked on arrival, so you need to be aware of the procedure and regulations in Oz! --and have your cheque book ready.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve Lawson
You haven't mentioned your final destination. Different services apply for different regions. It may even be better just to get a 40ft container and save the cost of crates. If you do use crates - they must conform to ISPM15 regulations (check out timcon.org for suppliers). I suggest you discuss your options with one of the many shipping firms. If you plan on packing yourself, get expert advice. What you want to do is feasible, but may not be the best way for you. Try calling these firms for advice:

Pickfords
Anglo Pacific
Crown (for whole door-door removal)
EwePack.com
Excess Baggage.com (for self packing)

Best of luck.
Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
I would get a quote for a few options - 20ft with groupage (shared container via sea), 20ft container (and you sort everything else with another company) and a 40 ft container with everything. Depending on the volume you have over a 20ft container it's sometimes cheaper to send everything together in a 40ft container.
By the way, I would check out the customs implications on goods sent in advance. Usually you should have flown in at the time of arrival of goods to qualify for duty exemption. Just send paperwork and low value items if you're keen on sending stuff ahead.

Having checked your profile, I guess you're in Wales, so my bet is the 40ft container will be the best bet for logistical reasons and cost (part loads usually load in Manchester or London). I would agree with Wheeler-Jones on that. Remember everything will be customs inspected and quarantine checked on arrival, so you need to be aware of the procedure and regulations in Oz! --and have your cheque book ready.

Thanks for your responses. Lots of things I didn't know / hadn't considered there!

Yes, we will be departing from Wales. We're headed for Adeliade but may fly to Sydney for a stay with relatives for a couple of weeks. (Hence sending stuff to them.)

We have a MASSIVE problem with a 40ft container. We live on a narrow country lane and when we moved in, Pickfords said they couldn't turn a big removal lorry into the drive, so we had 3 smaller ones, (although I think they were 20ft ones - see we have a lot of stuff...) This is why I was wondering about crates. But it sounds like groupage might be a better idea. Although I have heard horror stories about this....

Thanks for the tip re the customs implications of sending stuff ahead. Could we drop it off in advance and schedule it to be flown after us???

I will check out all compnies you mentioned Steve - thanks.

(I might have decided to sell all my furniture after discussing this and just have a 20 footer with personal effects....)

Thanks again - it was well worth me asking.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your responses. Lots of things I didn't know / hadn't considered there!

Yes, we will be departing from Wales. We're headed for Adeliade but may fly to Sydney for a stay with relatives for a couple of weeks. (Hence sending stuff to them.)

We have a MASSIVE problem with a 40ft container. We live on a narrow country lane and when we moved in, Pickfords said they couldn't turn a big removal lorry into the drive, so we had 3 smaller ones, (although I think they were 20ft ones - see we have a lot of stuff...) This is why I was wondering about crates. But it sounds like groupage might be a better idea. Although I have heard horror stories about this....

Thanks for the tip re the customs implications of sending stuff ahead. Could we drop it off in advance and schedule it to be flown after us???

I will check out all compnies you mentioned Steve - thanks.

(I might have decided to sell all my furniture after discussing this and just have a 20 footer with personal effects....)

Thanks again - it was well worth me asking.
Looks like you're at the start of a great adventure! Lift-Vans may be the option for you (big wooden crates) - do you have a barn at home or a big, high garage? (20ft containers can still arrive on a very big truck!) If not, it is gonna be a hot sweaty day shuttling everything loose after packing from your house to the articulated 16m truck in the nearest lorry park or depot. A good mover should find this no real problem-especially if they are local. Adelaide is well served at the delivery end - allow 10-12 weeks.
I reckon you'll have a lot of outside effects, so check out the quarantine regulations in detail. If you're gonna pack your own, use Lift-Vans, they cost about 160 each from an accredited supplier (10 fill a 40ft). Much better than groupage. Make sure you list everything for customs and consider the insurance implications.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Looks like you're at the start of a great adventure! Lift-Vans may be the option for you (big wooden crates) - do you have a barn at home or a big, high garage? (20ft containers can still arrive on a very big truck!) If not, it is gonna be a hot sweaty day shuttling everything loose after packing from your house to the articulated 16m truck in the nearest lorry park or depot. A good mover should find this no real problem-especially if they are local. Adelaide is well served at the delivery end - allow 10-12 weeks.
I reckon you'll have a lot of outside effects, so check out the quarantine regulations in detail. If you're gonna pack your own, use Lift-Vans, they cost about 160 each from an accredited supplier (10 fill a 40ft). Much better than groupage. Make sure you list everything for customs and consider the insurance implications.
OMG. It is getting worse... We are not taking any outside stuff - it is all very weathered and old, so not worth saving. Leaving bikes etc and buying new. OH has a lot of tools though. Plus we have a lot of antiques which are fragile... Don't want them chucked in and out of lorries and crates etc... we don't have a big garage / barn etc...

I will make a call to a big shipping co and get them to come out and quote, (even though we won't be going for a while.) They will be able to tell me categorically if a container will get on the drive or not. If not, we might have to reconsider our options.

Thanks again. This has been really educational. Why, oh why, did we buy a house on a lane....

I can see us getting rid of a lot more stuff than we first thought too.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

brucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nice

Would it be possible to buy your own container and get a shipping company to ship it out to Australia and handle all the paperwork for us? Not sure how much of a saving there would be..............??

We are considering buy our own and once we get to OZ. Then sell the container on to recoup some $$$'s. Dont know if shipping companies would handle the container on our behalf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.