Reload this Page >

Shippers - last minute questions

Shippers - last minute questions

Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road
Default Shippers - last minute questions

Hi
Just sitting here waiting for the packers tomorrow and having lots of last minute questions I hope somone can help with -
1. Can we take our cat carrying basket with us if we scrub it with good old Jeyes fluid? Looked on AQIS site, can't find an answer
2. How clean is AQIS clean for shoes, etc. Again we have scrubbed them with Jeyes and they smell of it but they don't LOOK spotless!
3. We've just been looking at our phone, can we take it with us? I seem to rememebr reading somewhere that you have to have a telstra phone?!?!
4. What do you do when the shippers are here? Our plan is to hide on the garden of it is sunny!
Susan, Rod and Callum
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:06 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shippers - last minute questions

Originally posted by sunny_samantha
1. Can we take our cat carrying basket with us if we scrub it with good old Jeyes fluid? Looked on AQIS site, can't find an answer
What's it made of? We had to get rid of one because it was cane. The others are plastic-coated wire which I hope will be ok, but I don't really know.
2. How clean is AQIS clean for shoes, etc. Again we have scrubbed them with Jeyes and they smell of it but they don't LOOK spotless!
I would hope that they apply the same less-than-rigorous standards that they do for the ones that you'll be wearing as you enter. I'm not saying they're sloppy, far from it, just that they don't seem to expect perfection.
3. We've just been looking at our phone, can we take it with us? I seem to rememebr reading somewhere that you have to have a telstra phone?!?!
In theory (i.e. legally speaking) it has to be approved apparatus, which UK-sourced ones generally won't be. In practice I would guess that it's not going to be an issue (not that I'm condoning breaking the law in this matter!) unless it's cordless in which case I've heard that it may interfere with local transmitters. But I may just be propagating rumours here.
4. What do you do when the shippers are here? Our plan is to hide on the garden of it is sunny!
Be nice to them! Possibly even take their photos judging by a recent thread (sorry, forgotten whose that was).

Sorry, that wasn't much help. We could do with answers to much the same questions in fact!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:17 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam,

Sorry can't help you on most of the questions but would definately recommend taking your phone. We bought a cordless one for 11gbp when we were back at easter as couldn't resist a bargain.

It works fine, so if you have a decent one (ie digital etc) I would personally recommend taking it - they are fairly pricey out here unless you get a bog standard one.

Changing the subject slightly - does it drive anybody else loopy that there is no pound sign on Aussie keyboards? Does everyone in the world use dollars now??? Sorry.... having a rant...
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:49 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by emmahafryn
Sorry can't help you on most of the questions but would definately recommend taking your phone. We bought a cordless one for 11gbp when we were back at easter as couldn't resist a bargain.

It works fine
Ok I bow to local experience!
Changing the subject slightly - does it drive anybody else loopy that there is no pound sign on Aussie keyboards?
It does, but in many circumstances you can hold the ALT key down while you type 0163 on the numeric keypad (having made sure that NumLock is on first). You can get many other interesting characters this way too. I'm sure someone can find a table and post the URL. Yes it's a right pain compared to having it on a key but it's useful to know.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

AQIS and shoes......

I brushed and brushed the soles to remove any trace of soil. The ones we sent airfreight all got through AQIS unscathed. 8 pairs sent sea-freight are deemed tp need steam cleaning at $22 per pair. We await to see if they shrink in the process!

AQIS seems to be totally pot-luck. I think they just won't lose face by letting a shipment through without charging for something.

Lesley
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Cuddles is on a distinguished road
Default shipping

Hi new to all this. Every says about wicker. I have wicker seating on my dinning rooms chairs does this mean I am unable to take my table and chairs with me or because it is indoors does that make a difference. When they say wood does this not include toys etc as my daughter has a dolls house made by her Grandad and wants to take it with her, is this sort of thing ok.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 11:02 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: shipping

Originally posted by dave and linda
Hi new to all this. Every says about wicker. I have wicker seating on my dinning rooms chairs does this mean I am unable to take my table and chairs with me or because it is indoors does that make a difference. When they say wood does this not include toys etc as my daughter has a dolls house made by her Grandad and wants to take it with her, is this sort of thing ok.

Wicker might be an issue, not sure.

As for wood we have looked into this ingreat detail, as we have a lot of it.

Bamboo is no
Anything that has been outdoors must be clean or sealed.
Anything with bark on it is a no
Anything with woodworm (current) is also a no
The rst is pretty much OK

And the dolls house should be fine especially if it is painted

Good Luck

PJ
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: shipping

Originally posted by dave and linda
We were told wicker, bamboo and rushes were a no. I believe you can take them but they will be 'decontaminated' and you will be charged.