Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shippers - GB Liners UK

Shippers - GB Liners UK

Old Jun 12th 2006, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about
Default Shippers - GB Liners UK

We have finally unpacked our stuff from the UK. We had a door to door service and the shippers bar 6 small boxes packed everything.

We used GB liners they were excellent. My sister in law oversaw the packing from the UK (they house had not gone through with sale till 3 months after we left!). She said the lads were professional and very helpful and friendly. They were pleased that we had just left things in situ as it meant they could pack things due to having space to pack up.

Not only were they the cheapest and my husband got them down a little more on their price - the quote was valid for 6 months. We took pretty much everything except the white goods. We had 106 packages and went for a "reefer container". S.I.L checked the container at the house and it was spotless. It took exactly 6 weeks shipping and 2 weeks in quarantine.

Their Oppo in Brisbane were Kent's and they too were excellent. They would not let my husband do anything he just checked the packages off and would have unpacked everything if we had wanted. They spent an hour trying to find some bolts for our solid wood tables - which came through quarantine with no problems. We did not have anything as far as I can tell confiscated. They looked into probably 20 of the packages.

We found the packing to be excellent the suite had not only 4 ply paper (wax paper, card-paper, and 2 paper) there was a layer of cardboard protecting the suite and then it was wrapped in bubble wrap and lots of tape.

Out of the 106 packages only two items broke 1 casserole dish and 1 breakfast bowl - both unfortunately were in the corners of the box and I cannot hand on heart say whether it was there or here or when we transported them ourselves from Northside to Southside.

Our friends used PSS and their items were not nearly as well packed and they had several casualties including a rocking chair. So they would not recommend them! They use contractors when they are busy - so you have no guarantee that PSS will pack it.

Mrs Keebs
Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shippers - GB Liners UK

That is good news - we've got GB Liners coming in about 2hrs time to pack our house. And then we've got Kent on the other side. So far we've been impressed by their level of service and communication.

Originally Posted by Keebs
We have finally unpacked our stuff from the UK. We had a door to door service and the shippers bar 6 small boxes packed everything.

We used GB liners they were excellent. My sister in law oversaw the packing from the UK (they house had not gone through with sale till 3 months after we left!). She said the lads were professional and very helpful and friendly. They were pleased that we had just left things in situ as it meant they could pack things due to having space to pack up.

Not only were they the cheapest and my husband got them down a little more on their price - the quote was valid for 6 months. We took pretty much everything except the white goods. We had 106 packages and went for a "reefer container". S.I.L checked the container at the house and it was spotless. It took exactly 6 weeks shipping and 2 weeks in quarantine.

Their Oppo in Brisbane were Kent's and they too were excellent. They would not let my husband do anything he just checked the packages off and would have unpacked everything if we had wanted. They spent an hour trying to find some bolts for our solid wood tables - which came through quarantine with no problems. We did not have anything as far as I can tell confiscated. They looked into probably 20 of the packages.

We found the packing to be excellent the suite had not only 4 ply paper (wax paper, card-paper, and 2 paper) there was a layer of cardboard protecting the suite and then it was wrapped in bubble wrap and lots of tape.

Out of the 106 packages only two items broke 1 casserole dish and 1 breakfast bowl - both unfortunately were in the corners of the box and I cannot hand on heart say whether it was there or here or when we transported them ourselves from Northside to Southside.

Our friends used PSS and their items were not nearly as well packed and they had several casualties including a rocking chair. So they would not recommend them! They use contractors when they are busy - so you have no guarantee that PSS will pack it.

Mrs Keebs
Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Keebs
We used PSS & Kent & they were excellent at both ends. Everything was well packed, nothing was broken & they were the cheapest.

Very highly recommended.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

clan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really nice

Mrs Keebs
Thanks Mrs Keebs

we have got GB Liners coming for a quote on Wednesday. We have had a quote from PSS and Crown (and they differ by about £1000 and wont budge), and I though i'd give our local guys the chance - GB Liners head office is in ?Hereford where we are at the moment.

Hopefully they will be cheaper !

Thanks

Neil
Old Jun 12th 2006, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

glad all went well and smoothly for you bet you can live without the cassarole dish eh

anyone have any numbers for insurance quotes please?

thanks
Old Jun 12th 2006, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We used PSS & Kent & they were excellent at both ends. Everything was well packed, nothing was broken & they were the cheapest.

Very highly recommended.
We had PSS. Would NOT recommend at all. It is pot luck with them as when they are busy they use contractors to pack in UK. So depends what contractor you get to how good stuff packed!! If your lucky and actually get a good company or PSS themselves packing you are ok maybe!! But personally I wouldn't take a chance if I did it again! Alot of stuff broken, including an expensive rocking Chair and communication at the other end with OSS was terrible. Once your stuff has left the UK PSS are no longer interested! After alot of phone calls and threats of involving a solicitor (long story) we finally got things sorted. But most people would have give up long before we did!!
Sorry just making sure people are aware about this.
Marie
Old Jun 12th 2006, 12:45 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Just wondered if I could possibly ask for a big favour?
Could you possibly send me a private message or reply to this message on Expats with regard to what quotes you have managed to get.

GB Liners just gave me a rough quote over the phone and it was like 6000+ :scared: :scared:

That doesn't include cupboards and beds etc... as we will not be taking them. It does however include the Car.Still seems alot

Thanks in advance xxxx
Old Jun 12th 2006, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utopia
Hi Everyone,

Just wondered if I could possibly ask for a big favour?
Could you possibly send me a private message or reply to this message on Expats with regard to what quotes you have managed to get.

GB Liners just gave me a rough quote over the phone and it was like 6000+ :scared: :scared:

That doesn't include cupboards and beds etc... as we will not be taking them. It does however include the Car.Still seems alot

Thanks in advance xxxx

no problem, we re using a company called freightworld, they are a national company and have bases all over the uk. the number is 0114 2852777 for the sheffield branch.

our quote is £2, 480 and that includes for a 20ft container;

2 men ,3 hours loading (we want to pack ourselves) for an extra £255 they will pack.

free double board removal cartons tape and bubble wrap.

they have contacts for insurance and clearing agents.

so far extremely helpful and professional with lots of good advice. i am aware of a couple of other expats using them and say they were excellent.

after seeing quotes from some of the more well known shippers, i think this is an excellent quote

good luck

debbie
Old Jun 12th 2006, 3:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil&momo
We had PSS. Would NOT recommend at all. It is pot luck with them as when they are busy they use contractors to pack in UK. So depends what contractor you get to how good stuff packed!! If your lucky and actually get a good company or PSS themselves packing you are ok maybe!! But personally I wouldn't take a chance if I did it again! Alot of stuff broken, including an expensive rocking Chair and communication at the other end with OSS was terrible. Once your stuff has left the UK PSS are no longer interested! After alot of phone calls and threats of involving a solicitor (long story) we finally got things sorted. But most people would have give up long before we did!!
Sorry just making sure people are aware about this.
Marie
Cool. We had a good experience with PSS & Kent. If you look back through this newsgroup you will find that PSS have a good reputation & are one of the most recommended shipping companies.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 4:06 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
no problem, we re using a company called freightworld, they are a national company and have bases all over the uk. the number is 0114 2852777 for the sheffield branch.

our quote is £2, 480 and that includes for a 20ft container;

2 men ,3 hours loading (we want to pack ourselves) for an extra £255 they will pack.

free double board removal cartons tape and bubble wrap.

they have contacts for insurance and clearing agents.

so far extremely helpful and professional with lots of good advice. i am aware of a couple of other expats using them and say they were excellent.

after seeing quotes from some of the more well known shippers, i think this is an excellent quote

good luck

debbie
Thanks Debbie for that info....
Did you take your car.... you didnt mention a car but thought I'd ask
It all ads up, who ever said moving was cheap... small deposit on a house in the UK all in all... including flights tickets etc (family of 4)lol
I need a drink!
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:36 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Shippers - GB Liners UK

We have had a quote from Pickfords for a 20ft Reefer and it was £4500.00 plus insurance.

We thought this was expensive and will get a couple more quotes over the next two weeks.

We did expect it to be above most peoples quotes as we are going to Cairns so you have to add rail freight to it too!

He also said if you get some other quotes give me a call and I will see what I can do! I suppose he is willing to for go a chunk of his commission to get the contract eh!

Also, it would be good if people put how much each of theirs cost too as well as what sort of service they had as thats what people really want to know. Or perhaps start a new thread just listing names, service and total cost etc.

Its just that there have been loads on shipping lately and I guess bottom line is the price!

R.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Cool. We had a good experience with PSS & Kent. If you look back through this newsgroup you will find that PSS have a good reputation & are one of the most recommended shipping companies.
We were obviously one of the unlucky ones!!
Marie