Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shippers: Crown vs Excess

Shippers: Crown vs Excess

Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Shippers: Crown vs Excess

Hi

I have just had Crown and Exces round. Both were great, and seemed really knowledeable but (worringly) they both provided quite different estimates;

Crown : ~130 cubic feet!!
Excess: ~ 90 cubic feet!!

Crazy eh!!

I had guestimated at around 50 cubic feet but then I hadnt taken the packaging material into account (when I went around the house with my tape measure).

I'm not sure who to go with, but first of all I'll wait and see how much each of them costs, and then maybe see if Crown will lower their price as it will be loads more than Excess.

I have also been in touch with John Mason but they arent willing to come out and do a quote because the volume is so low.

Either way, from what I have read, Crown and Excess are both decent shippers. The thing going in Crowns favour is that they have offices in Sydney, whereas Excess will use an agent..but if it saves me £300-400 then I think the answer is an obvious one.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you.

SS
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:23 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shippers: Crown vs Excess

Not tempted by JMI then Seagull? They were great for us (so far)
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:53 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Hi

I have just had Crown and Exces round. Both were great, and seemed really knowledeable but (worringly) they both provided quite different estimates;

Crazy eh!!

I had guestimated at around 50 cubic feet but then I hadnt taken the packaging material into account (when I went around the house with my tape measure).

I'm not sure who to go with, but first of all I'll wait and see how much each of them costs, and then maybe see if Crown will lower their price as it will be loads more than Excess.

I have also been in touch with John Mason but they arent willing to come out and do a quote because the volume is so low.

Either way, from what I have read, Crown and Excess are both decent shippers. The thing going in Crowns favour is that they have offices in Sydney, whereas Excess will use an agent..but if it saves me £300-400 then I think the answer is an obvious one.

SS
I've used Crown four times now, and found their service to be excellent. Each time their estimates have been spot on, both with cubic feet and delivery dates.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mctree
I've used Crown four times now, and found their service to be excellent. Each time their estimates have been spot on, both with cubic feet and delivery dates.
Thanks for your input - I'm now more confused than before they came out. I had guestimated at 50 cubic feet when I did it myself but that didnt take into account any packaging materials.....

SS
Old Nov 17th 2005, 6:16 pm
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mctree
Folks we know who used Crown a few weeks ago got totally shafted by them. Were just about to start getting Quotes as we hope to make our move our to ...errr I dunno really havnt made our mind up yet somewhere in Australia I suppose since thats what the VISA says on it . I Keep hearing good and bad things about all the companies so Im gonna go with the cheapest an if they cock up, Ill simply destroy them!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm struggling to get anyone to come out. Nightingales were the only ones who I've sorted a visit from so far. Crown mailed me with a date and time but it was addressed to someone else - when I queried it I was told that it wasn't meant for me and have heard nothing since - despite asking what my particular date and time was. John Masons rang when I was at the gym Wednesday morning and said they'd phone later - still waiting.

The estate agents were all round within hours. I take it shippers don't want any more business.

Heather
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice

Hi

Crazy eh!!

SS

We used excess and they were dreadful not only did they take nearly five months to get our things here there were lots of items that were broken.
Infact there are things that went missing that we have not been able to claim insurance for as excess are sure they will find them.Its a year ago now they came to pack our stuff so I would if very surprised if they do fine any of it.I am past caring now we had a long battle with them the over missing/broken goods they were very hard to deal with as no one with answer our questions.

I can only say of my experience there may be plenty of others that have dealt with them no problems.I could have expected that things were missing or broken but the way they dealt with it afterwards there was no excuse for!

Good luck with whoever you choose
Old Nov 18th 2005, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by playbunny75
We used excess and they were dreadful not only did they take nearly five months to get our things here there were lots of items that were broken.
Infact there are things that went missing that we have not been able to claim insurance for as excess are sure they will find them.Its a year ago now they came to pack our stuff so I would if very surprised if they do fine any of it.I am past caring now we had a long battle with them the over missing/broken goods they were very hard to deal with as no one with answer our questions.

I can only say of my experience there may be plenty of others that have dealt with them no problems.I could have expected that things were missing or broken but the way they dealt with it afterwards there was no excuse for!

Good luck with whoever you choose
Thanks for your input, and I am sorry to hear about your story. Yours is the first that I have read which is a bad review of Excess. In fact I also read one earlier about Crown.

I think that there are always going to be some issues when moving stuff 12k miles away via sea, but you are right, there is no excuse for poor customer service.

I hope you manage to get your situation resolved soon...

SS
Old Nov 18th 2005, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice

Thanks for your input, and I am sorry to hear about your story. Yours is the first that I have read which is a bad review of Excess. In fact I also read one earlier about Crown.

I think that there are always going to be some issues when moving stuff 12k miles away via sea, but you are right, there is no excuse for poor customer service.

I hope you manage to get your situation resolved soon...

SS
We actually went with excess because we had read good reviews on here as well.I was unsure at first whether to post a bad review really but then I would not like some one else to have the same hassle we have had.I do have serveral friends that have used John masons and found them to be excellent so if we did it again it would be through them.

I am sure what happened with us is unusal but like I said it is how the problem is dealt with that really makes a difference.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 9:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

PSS packed our house up yesterday. My wife who is on her own over there said they were absolutely brilliant. They realised that she was on her own & really helped her out, they couldn't do enough to help. The disconnected the washing machine & dishwasher, which we were supposed to do, they took down blinds etc. My wife gave them a load of booze that we couldn't take. So far PSS have been great, just have to wait to see how they work out this side.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by playbunny75
We actually went with excess because we had read good reviews on here as well.I was unsure at first whether to post a bad review really but then I would not like some one else to have the same hassle we have had.I do have serveral friends that have used John masons and found them to be excellent so if we did it again it would be through them.

I am sure what happened with us is unusal but like I said it is how the problem is dealt with that really makes a difference.
You should defo post a bad review if you have a bad experience - no worries it all. It hasnt put me off choosing them (if I do) but it is important that people tell their stories, especially if it helps getting something on their chest.

I was thinking about using John Mason as well..and I have an online quote from them - but they dont want to send anyone out to the house, which is a bit frustrating as I could do with an accurate quote.

Cheers
SS