Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shippers are in!!

shippers are in!!

Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:06 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default shippers are in!!

Well the shippers arrived here this morning....

I felt a bit 'deflated'....I was expecting a lovely big red lorry with 'crown' plastered over the side with 3 eager blokes inside...what did I get? I got 2 blokes...not 3, in a little white van!!!!????

We're having sole use of a 20ft reefer container so as you can imagine I was a little confused when a little white van appeared. The blokes packing reckoned our stuff was going to be taken back to the warehouse (today & tomorrow) to be stored then loaded into the container. Neither bloke was aware we were having sole use and were surprised when I said we were. We haven't enough stuff to fill a container but the price wasn't much diff so we opted to get our stuff a little quicker.

After a phonecall to Crown to confirm we were having a whole container I feel a little reassured...the woman said the container will come tomorrow to be loaded. I've told the blokes what the woman said, their reaction was one of confusion. So exactly what's going to happen is anybody's guess. These blokes think its going into store....

When I know more....I shall fill you in... .......oh well at least its all insured!!!!!!!!!!

Petra
Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shippers are in!!

Hi Petra
Great to see it all happening at last; when do you fly? Are the kids excited about leaving? Any plans for saying goodbye to Pompey (hehe)?
Take care!
Larissa
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Our good mate Petra.....on her way at long, long last.
Saying goodbye to your beautiful house is going to be hard. It must be attached quite closely to you......it was such a bugger to sell!!!! LOL

If you need any help (emotional ) then give me a shout.
The 'pompey meet' organiser is on her way.................at long, long last!!!

With lots of love and cuddles
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:06 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
The 'pompey meet' organiser is on her way.................at long, long last!!!
....and these last two posters appreciated you so much they have gone to Perth knowing you are Brissie bound
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:17 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

You mean business don't you?! Hardly seems any time at all since all the moans about your 'piggin' house' and now the shippers are in! WOW!!!

Hope it all works out and you and your belongings are all safely reunited the other side!

Will try and send packing karma!

Binbird

(Thought as much - need to spread again! Off goes Farmer Barley Moe.....)

Last edited by binbird; Mar 16th 2005 at 12:18 pm. Reason: addition
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:20 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved I had sole use of a 20' reefer container, but the container did not arrive until lunchtime of the second day as I believe there is a limited time available as part of the container hire cost for loading, after which you pay by the hour. Pickfords would normally have turned up and wrapped and packed stuff and stored it in the house somewhere and then when it is all ready, the container arrives and the chuck it all in. In my case the house was very small with very little spare space, so they turned up with a normal removal van, wrapped and packed stuff and put it on that on day 1, drove away and parked it somewhere secure (I assume), then, on day 2, more of the same till lunchtime. When the container arrived, all my stuff was in the removal van. They backed it up close, put some boards across the gap and just shunted it all across. The container was filled in about an hour, I think.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:24 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

While on the subject of shipping, All MrsDagBoy's shopping from our UK trip last year has finally cleared customs and is due to be delivered tomorrow. We used PSS and will let you know how it all went. So far the service has been good - let's see if everything gets here OK

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:49 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your kind messages peeps!!!!

Bix - I know what you mean....some mates

Right an update for ya.....

dagboy you were right...the container's due to arrive at about 1pm tomorrow to be packed. Our stuff will stay in the house, wrapped and ready to go.

Ya'know its amazing just how much can be packed while you're in the pub forcing down a beef baguette and some beer....
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest (actually sheer bl**dy nosiness) where will you be sleeping tomorrow night and onwards. The sequence of events are praying on my mind constantly!

Congrats by the way.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:57 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by artep
Thanks for all your kind messages peeps!!!!

Bix - I know what you mean....some mates

Right an update for ya.....

dagboy you were right...the container's due to arrive at about 1pm tomorrow to be packed. Our stuff will stay in the house, wrapped and ready to go.

Ya'know its amazing just how much can be packed while you're in the pub forcing down a beef baguette and some beer....

good luck on the shipping and packing!! I just booked our shippers today, they come in and pack us up on 5th April, stuff it all in a reefer on 6th April.. and off it goes... :scared:
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:36 pm
....is FAB

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just out of interest (actually sheer bl**dy nosiness) where will you be sleeping tomorrow night and onwards. The sequence of events are praying on my mind constantly!

Congrats by the way.
Cheers Moneypen!!!

We've moved in with a very good mate of mine who's very kindly offered to put all 5 of us up until we fly on the 12th April. Mad Woman!!! She has a really small house (3 bed terrace)....she has her own 2 kids (teeneagers.. :scared: ) to stay 1/2 the week as her and her ex share custody. All 5 of us are sharing 1 room and living out of suitcases!! Real test of a friendship this will be!! I owe this woman a fab holiday with us in Oz!!!!!!

Petra
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:38 pm
....is FAB

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
good luck on the shipping and packing!! I just booked our shippers today, they come in and pack us up on 5th April, stuff it all in a reefer on 6th April.. and off it goes... :scared:
Cheers Brissiegirl!!! See you at the airport!!
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:39 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by artep
Cheers Brissiegirl!!! See you at the airport!!

I will wave at any Singapore jumbos (did I get the right airline!!??) that are departing around the same time as we go!!! seeing as we leave at a similar time.. Have a good flight and hope all goes well, only a few weeks left! Yippee!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Hi all. Firstly I don't want to take over the thread, but I think as your all in the same kinda boat, you'll be the ones who'll know

I plan to ship all my stuff from UK to Oz, but there will be a period between when we sell our house, and go! We plan to rent locally till we're off.

I'm just wondering would we better off to have the stuff stored, and then direct to Oz, we can take all important stuff with us to rental accomodation, but save on filling our rental with all our stuff for possibly only a few months!

Does any of you know what kind of storage charge there will be, or even if this can be done ???

Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:26 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

If you really HAVE to store it somewhere, store it in the UK as I`m sure it`s cheaper than at customs in Oz. Even if you get a self-storage place or something.

Best bet is obviously to send the stuff to Aus before you fly out. You can get some shippers which take 2 months to send stuff over. Most take 6 weeks. No diff in price.... just a different route.

OR..... how about booking a shipper, and asking them to hold onto the stuff for a shared 40ft container with someone else... they`ll keep your stuff until they fill up the 40ft container with other ppl`s shipments (all are divided by wooden walls btw). If you`re dead lucky they may store your stuff and send it when the 40ft is ready and it all arrives a few days after you do!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.