British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Ship Year Old TV? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/ship-year-old-tv-278372/)

richieb Jan 18th 2005 1:34 pm

Ship Year Old TV?

I was wondering peoples views about shipping my year old 28" TV? I've heard that I may need to get a slight adjustment done or use it through an Aussie VCR. What are people's experiences as to how easy this is?

Shipping's happening on Monday!!

GCS15 Jan 18th 2005 1:36 pm

Re: Ship Year Old TV?

G'day

Umm why pay for shipping? Just sell it and buy one here. They are pretty cheap.

Hope you have a stress free trip

manxfamily Jan 18th 2005 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by richieb
I was wondering peoples views about shipping my year old 28" TV? I've heard that I may need to get a slight adjustment done or use it through an Aussie VCR. What are people's experiences as to how easy this is?

Get rid of it and buy a new one.

good luck

samnrob2 Jan 18th 2005 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Get rid of it and buy a new one.

good luck

I had a 42 inch rear projection but really couldn't see the point of shipping it so have sold it.

Look around on Oz websites and you'll find some decent priced sets. Have a look on ebay.com.au as well

Rob

JJL family Jan 18th 2005 2:02 pm

[QUOTE=samnrob2]I had a 42 inch rear projection but really couldn't see the point of shipping it so have sold it.

Just wondering why.........just bought a 42 plasma and if we sold it we'd never get the £3.200 it cost us back, also we had it checked out and told it would be compatible :confused: I HOPE SO.

Lesley :D

gajjitt Jan 18th 2005 2:10 pm

[QUOTE=JJL family]

Originally Posted by samnrob2
I had a 42 inch rear projection but really couldn't see the point of shipping it so have sold it.

Just wondering why.........just bought a 42 plasma and if we sold it we'd never get the £3.200 it cost us back, also we had it checked out and told it would be compatible :confused: I HOPE SO.

Lesley :D

You could ship it. Check what video system it runs on. PAL is not enough to guarantee. UK runs on PAL-I and Australia is PAL-B/G. You'll get a picture but no sound on a UK TV in Oz.

However if you use SCART/SVideo instead of using the sets internal tuner then all will be fine. E.g. if you have a set top box for satellite or cable TV.

I'm not taking my 28" wide screen TV as they are now pretty inexpensive in Oz.

Cheers Paul

samnrob2 Jan 18th 2005 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by gajjitt
You could ship it. Check what video system it runs on. PAL is not enough to guarantee. UK runs on PAL-I and Australia is PAL-B/G. You'll get a picture but no sound on a UK TV in Oz.

However if you use SCART/SVideo instead of using the sets internal tuner then all will be fine. E.g. if you have a set top box for satellite or cable TV.

I'm not taking my 28" wide screen TV as they are now pretty inexpensive in Oz.

Cheers Paul

I'll echo Paul's comments. I had my TV for a couple of years so wasn't overly concerned at loosing loads of money on it - in fact I think I got a pretty good price for it considering how cheap TV's now are in UK.

Plus we're not planning on taking a container with us so sending a TV over was even more pointless.

Rob

binbird Jan 18th 2005 3:27 pm

Personally, I would ship it (just to throw a cat among the pigeons!) If it's only a year old I would keep my fingers crossed. This plan worked out ok for my brother in law who emigrated last year with a 2 year old set. I know NZ is a whole different ball game but my sister emigrated last year and only took one tv not expecting it to work and BINGO it did and she regrets not taking the other as it was not a lot older. If you are paying for a container anyway, what difference does a tv make? We certainly can't afford to give everything away (or sell things for less than half the cost of a replacement) so let your budget make the decision for you.

Binbird

karenjc Jan 18th 2005 5:29 pm

we asked our friends this question and they said it would cost about a $150 to get it to work over in oz

MarkMyWords Jan 18th 2005 10:14 pm

I agree with binbird. If you're shipping a container, there will be neglible extra cost for the TV. If it's only a year old, chances are it'll have its own built-in adjuster.

So... are you shipping a container?

And... pick up your remote, go into the system setup menu (or whatever it's called) and look for some suitable setting. You need to change the sound/vision offset from 6Mhz to 5 (I think, or is it from 5 to 6?), and it might be a menu entry that says that or it might be one that talks about the PAL-I vs PAL-G thing. If hopelessly lost, read the manual in gory detail. (You've only had it a year, whaddya mean you've lost the manual?!) Also, what's the model? Maybe you can look it up on the web or contact the manufacturer.

Finally, even if you can't adjust it, buying a local VCR to run it through is immensely cheaper than buying a new TV!

andrew63 Jan 18th 2005 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Finally, even if you can't adjust it, buying a local VCR to run it through is immensely cheaper than buying a new TV!

Bought two of mine with me!
Both work perfectly! One through an Aussie video (AUS$89) and the other is connected to Foxtel.
Absolutely no adjustments required
PS: due to conflicting advice, I contacted the manufacturer, JVC, through their web site and they confirmed that I would have no problem and no adjustment necessary.

However, as above, if you have a container coming anyway, no problem. If you are shipping it seperately, consider selling and buying new over here.
Andrew