British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Ship salon furniture or not? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/ship-salon-furniture-not-716071/)

Mkboz May 7th 2011 7:05 pm

Ship salon furniture or not?

Hi everyone

I am a first time poster, so here goes. I need some advice, I have four Belmont Apollo barber chairs and a backwash sink that I am are not sure about shipping to Brisbane as space in our 20ft container will be very tight (contents of a 3 bedroom house). Can you give us your opinions on the following questions please:
1 - Are the chairs worth shipping or are similar chairs available in brisbane at a reasonable cost?
2 - How easy would it be to connect Ozzie plumbing fittings to out UK backwash sink?
3 - Names/websites of salon equipment suppliers based in Brisbane?
4 - Would there be any customs/duty issues to consider if we did ship these items?

We have looked at some websites but most are based in Sydney and those chairs we have seen were not suitable. We can sell the chairs in the UK and bring cash to buy new in Oz but the selection to choose from seems very slim.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Mark

Divine Comedy May 8th 2011 7:17 am

Re: Ship salon furniture or not?

Hi, i set up a Barbershop in NZ and the choice here is very limited , but i managed,just, by alot of looking around. If you have room then bring the chairs {those chairs are the bees knees and will add much needed charactor to your shop] but ditch the backwash.

Mkboz May 9th 2011 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Divine Comedy (Post 9350214)
Hi, i set up a Barbershop in NZ and the choice here is very limited , but i managed,just, by alot of looking around. If you have room then bring the chairs {those chairs are the bees knees and will add much needed charactor to your shop] but ditch the backwash.

Hi Divine Comedy

Thanks for the reply, I have already told the Mrs that she will have "to pack less clothes to make room for the chairs". :thumbsup: Needless to say it did n't go down very well. So keeping my head down for a few days until the dust settles. Any particular reason for ditching the backwash?

Divine Comedy May 10th 2011 2:19 am

Hi,\
Not bring as much clothes ARE you SERIOUS!! :rofl:
The rules on fitting things like backwashes in NZ
are different than the UK and so it may cost you a fortune, plus you can get one easily enough . The chairs are a different story:D You will need all the room you can get in your container so not bringing a backwash is no biggy. My advice bring as much as you can!!
Where are you setting your shop up?

rozellem May 10th 2011 3:39 am

Brilliant chairs, bring them, leave the back wash. The customs issue is just for new things you have bought in the last 12 months, so if you have had the chairs for a while, no worries. You will have to google salon suppliers in Brisbane area, I only know about Sydney. I would chuck in a box of tools too, brushes, capes, couple of rolls of foils, towels, etc. Just leave the chemicals as the container can get very hot and spoil them (can also explode onto your other stuff!). Also, a nice new rubber broom wont hurt. Oh, and a few GHD's, they are very expensive here.

Mkboz May 10th 2011 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Divine Comedy (Post 9353938)
Hi,\
Not bring as much clothes ARE you SERIOUS!! :rofl:
The rules on fitting things like backwashes in NZ
are different than the UK and so it may cost you a fortune, plus you can get one easily enough . The chairs are a different story:D You will need all the room you can get in your container so not bringing a backwash is no biggy. My advice bring as much as you can!!
Where are you setting your shop up?

Thanks for the info, It was worth a try to get back a few inchs of wardrobe space.:sneaky: We hav n't decided on the location yet, we will take some time to settle in whilst looking for the right spot my even just work for someone else.

Mkboz May 10th 2011 9:44 am

Originally Posted by rozellem (Post 9354029)
Brilliant chairs, bring them, leave the back wash. The customs issue is just for new things you have bought in the last 12 months, so if you have had the chairs for a while, no worries. You will have to google salon suppliers in Brisbane area, I only know about Sydney. I would chuck in a box of tools too, brushes, capes, couple of rolls of foils, towels, etc. Just leave the chemicals as the container can get very hot and spoil them (can also explode onto your other stuff!). Also, a nice new rubber broom wont hurt. Oh, and a few GHD's, they are very expensive here.

Thanks, we never thought about foil or towels will have to setup a tool box as you suggested. The GHD's we have already covered as the mrs had previously told me that they cost an arm and a leg in Oz so to avoid being made handicapped I asked to purchase a few here in the UK.:cool: